Turkeys

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by ultramag, Apr 16, 2007.

1. ultramag

ultramag SMF Events Planning Committee

Smoked a couple 10 ½ lb. turkeys today. Used peach wood for flavor and RO lump.

Before, rubbed w/ olive oil, a little Sea salt, Tony C's, and fresh cracked pepper:

[​IMG]

Done, skin was nice and crisp on these guys, very moist and juicy:

[​IMG]

I made an awesome platter w/ wings, thighs, drumsticks, and sliced white breast meat. It turns out no one here was smart enough to get a pic of it though. I'm gonna have to dock the photographer's pay. [​IMG]

2. ddemerath

ddemerath Smoke Blower

Those sure looked good. Nice job!

3. meowey

meowey Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Need some turkey! (He says while drooling on keyboard)

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

4. smoked

smoked Master of the Pit OTBS Member

looked pretty dang tasty chad....as I eye that peach tree in the back corner of my back yard....hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm smoker ain't big enough for two of those however..... [​IMG] how is the kid doing?

5. bigal

bigal Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Nice job Chad! What is the secret to getting crisp skin? I never have crisp skin. Those sure look good! [​IMG][​IMG]

6. smokincowboy

smokincowboy Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

And he said with a grin as he wiped off his chin I'll have another piece of that turkey please

7. hillbillysmoker

hillbillysmoker Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Gorgeous birds. I am also interested in the secret to getting the crispy skin. I have tried but never been able to achieve it.

8. msmith

msmith Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Those birds look very good Chad.

9. ultramag

No secret on these, the direct heat really kept them from getting rubbery it seems. Other than that I did nothing special because I was just seeing where my starting point would be with this smoker. BTW, cooked @ 225°-240° for 4 hours.

10. cheech

cheech Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Those birds llok awesome. Hope to do a couple myself soon. I like the simplicity of your rub. I assume that it tasted well.

Would you use peach again?

11. deejaydebi

deejaydebi Smoking Guru

Looking good Chad! [​IMG]

12. ultramag

The turkeys tasted very well Cheech. All four dinner participants had turkey sammies for lunch the day after. [​IMG] As for the peach, loved it. I put 5 butts over it today. Been a long time since I experimented w/ wood for pulled pork. [​IMG]

13. peculiarmike

peculiarmike Master of the Pit OTBS Member

The BDS is the crispy skin secret, direct heat. Boy, do they look good!

Same photographer (morel lover) who is taking pics of the location for the gathering? [​IMG]