Beer Can Chicken - can optional

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

schlotz

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 13, 2015
Coatesville, IN
Chicken On-A-Can w/smoke

Chicken_On-A-Can_grilled_OR_smok-75-102.jpg

Summary:
I’ve added a Brine option (Bobby Flay). Doing this first really helps keep the breast meat moist with the added benefit of very moist meat on day two for leftovers. 4-6 hours brine followed by 4 hours resting in fridge on a rack for the skin to dry a bit.

About the can: it really doesn’t do much, if any, in the way of adding flavor. The key is getting the bird to stand up. These days, I just use the holder and forget the can entirely.

Ingredients:

Brine:
1/2 cup kosher salt
6 cups water
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup clover honey
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons black peppercorns
8 large sprigs fresh rosemary
4 cloves garlic, smashed
4 cups ice cubes

Rub:
2 tsp kosher salt, OMIT IF BRINED
2 tsp paprika, I use Hungarian
2 tsp rosemary, finely chopped
2 tsp thyme, dried (usually use powdered)
1 whole lemon zest - very important don't leave out, zest the whole lemon
1 tsp black pepper, coarsely ground

Ingredients:
4 1/2 lb whole chicken
2 tsp olive oil

What's in the Can: if you must.... we don't anymore
1/2 can beer
2 sprigs rosemary
1 tsp thyme - ground or powdered
1 juice of whole lemon
2 cloves garlic - smashed
1/2 tbs red pepper flakes

Directions:

1. If you must, prepare the can. I use a wire holder that will also hold a can. I won’t really say using the can is necessary. I’ve done it without and its fine.

2. Rub Prep Place the ingredients in a small bowl and mix - double the recipe if doing two chickens.

3. Light a smoker tube to get it going with enough pellets to keep burning 1 hour and place on grill in the indirect heated area. Light the grill and wait until it reaches 350º.

4. Chicken Prep: Dissolve all the brine ingredients thoroughly in a 2.5 gal zip-lok bag, place the chicken in it and brine the bird for 4-6 hours in the fridge. Next remove the chicken, rinse well, pat dry and place a wire rack in a pan to dry in the fridge for 4 hours. Remove from fridge. Starting at neck cavity, loosen skin from breast and drumsticks by inserting fingers, gently pushing between skin and meat. Lightly rub the outside of the chicken all over with olive oil. Rub the spice mixture under loosened skin, in the body cavity and over the skin. Tuck the wing tips behind the chicken's back. Holding chicken upright with the body cavity facing down, either insert onto an upright holder.

5. Make a square tray with sides out of aluminum foil to contain the drippings (saves the grill) and place the chicken on it in a pre-heated grill (325-350º) - indirect heat method (not directly over a lit burner). Cover and grill until juices run clear and the internal temperature registers 165º in the breast and 175º in the thickest part of the thigh, usually about 1 hour to 1hr-20m, but depends on the size of the bird.

NOTE: Keep grill temp at 325-350ºƒ. Make sure to start checking the chicken IT at 45 minutes.

6. Lift chicken slightly using tongs, place spatula under it. Carefully lift chicken and holder, place on a cutting board. Gently lift chicken using tongs or insulated rubber gloves; remove holder from cavity and discard the can if used. Let stand 5-10 minutes before carving.

Last edited:
Looks delicious. I saw an episode of diners, dives and drive ins where they made a beer can chicken but in the can they mixed up a sauce and when it was done they poured it over the chicken
Sounds like the perfect use for the can.

Just pulled the can from the cavity and poured straight over chicken. Had beer, lemon, dijon, aromatics and chicken drippings. chopsaw chopsaw I wouldn't be concerned with it at all. We are all okay with putting a pan under our pork butts to catch drippings and put back into the pulled pork. Doesn't seem much different to me

TNJAKE TNJAKE I guess it's a personal choice thing . Drippings in the pan have a larger open surface exposed to the ambient temp in the smoker . My concern with the can being inside of the chicken is what is the actual temp in the can if chicken juice got in there . Just thinking out loud that it seems risky . Must be ok if the guy is doing it .
If I SV something at lower temps , I always simmer the liquid from the bag before I serve it to any one .

Reactions: TNJAKE
TNJAKE TNJAKE I guess it's a personal choice thing . Drippings in the pan have a larger open surface exposed to the ambient temp in the smoker . My concern with the can being inside of the chicken is what is the actual temp in the can if chicken juice got in there . Just thinking out loud that it seems risky . Must be ok if the guy is doing it .
If I SV something at lower temps , I always simmer the liquid from the bag before I serve it to any one .
Either way it looked delicious lol

Reactions: chopsaw
Looks delicious. I saw an episode of diners, dives and drive ins where they made a beer can chicken but in the can they mixed up a sauce and when it was done they poured it over the chicken

chef jimmyj chef jimmyj - What is your take on pouring the mixed sauce contents from a Beer Can Chicken back over the chick before serving?

It would be hard to convince me that a can shoved inside a chicken at 300+ isn't going to reach a safe temp

Making a sauce is certainly an option. The liquid would get hot enough during a hot , 300°+ Smoke. Even smoking at a low temp, 225, to make a sauce that would stick to the bird, you would empty the can contents in a pan and Cook it to reduce or be thicken as desired...JJ

Reactions: schlotz and TNJAKE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky