Turkey Giblet Snacks & 1 More Turkey Sammy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Turkey Giblet Football Snacks & 1 More Turkey Sammy

I haven’t had Giblets in a long time. Back in the Day, my Dad, My Brother and I used to save all our wild edible innards from our hunting trips around the area. We all loved that stuff, especially Me & My Dad.

And Bear Jr has been smoking all of our Turkeys, so I didn’t get any of the Giblets for many years.
However this time I cooked the Turkey, so I ended up with the Liver, Heart, and Gizzard.
So I didn’t want to do anything fancy, but I wanted some snacks for the Penn State Game.

I took the Giblets out of the little bag, and cut all the Fat off of the Gizzard, and trimmed the tough bag from it.
I couldn’t believe how much Fat surrounded that Gizzard!!
Then I mixed a bowl of Salt Water, and cut the Giblets up & put them in the bowl for an over night soak in the Fridge, to draw out the blood.
The next day I rinsed them off & dried them.
Then into a hot pan with some Butter. Then flip the pieces around until they’re to my liking.
Mmmm, Boy these were good, and brought back some Great Memories.

However I have to say, I like the Edible Innards from Small game (Rabbits, Squirrels, Pheasants, Grouse, Ducks, etc) than from a Turkey.

Then at Half-time, I whipped up another Turkey Sammy to finish me off, and Penn State Won another one.

I hate to say this, but I’m glad Thanksgiving is over—I’m pretty much tired of Turkey.
Bring on the Beef, Pork, and Fish!!!

Thanks for Stopping by,

Bear

Gizzard, Heart, and Liver from the 16 pound Turkey:
IMG_4399.jpg

Trimmed, Cut up & into a bowl:
IMG_4400.jpg

Added water & salt for over night in Fridge:
IMG_4402.jpg

Water turned pink over night, from drawing out some blood:
IMG_4406.jpg

Into a Hot Pan with Butter:
IMG_4407.jpg

Flipping around to get them done evenly:
IMG_4408.jpg

Just about ready:
IMG_4409.jpg

Football Snack Time!!
IMG_4410.jpg

Halftime calls for another White Meat Turkey Sammy on a Steak Roll, with Miracle Whip:
IMG_4403.jpg

And some American Cheese:
IMG_4404.jpg

Back to my recliner for second Half Kickoff!!
IMG_4405.jpg

Looks Great I love Innards too

Gary

My wifes eats the innards at our house. I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole. The sammie looks good, but I'm also turkey'd out.

Point for sure
Chris

The Giblets, Neck and Tail are my favorite parts of birds. Some of the best Giblets I had was because I was Lazy. I was at the stove and didn't feel like getting Butter. I grabbed a pan of Beef Fat from an earlier meal and fried in that. Really great taste...JJ

nice little snack there bear, I do like that stuff to, and i'm with you enough turkey for now!

Love the inards. Wife doesn't care for them so get them all. Have even bought bags of hearts and gizzards when she isn't around. Yum...

The Giblets, Neck and Tail are my favorite parts of birds. Some of the best Giblets I had was because I was Lazy. I was at the stove and didn't feel like getting Butter. I grabbed a pan of Beef Fat from an earlier meal and fried in that. Really great taste...JJ

Thanks Jimmy!!
That sounds Great, but I never have any Beef Fat available.
Just never got into saving any. That would be too much like a Real Cook!!

Bear

My wifes eats the innards at our house. I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole. The sammie looks good, but I'm also turkey'd out.

Point for sure
Chris

Thank You Chris!!
Mrs Bear won't touch this stuff either, but I love it.
I probably wouldn't enjoy it so much if my Dad hadn't introduced it to us at an early age.
In the 60s, we were the only kids at school who admittedly consumed Wild Animal Innards, Shad Roe, and Fried Catfish, and loved it all !!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Love the inards. Wife doesn't care for them so get them all. Have even bought bags of hearts and gizzards when she isn't around. Yum...

Thank You Rider.
I used to get bags of Gizzards, but I never saw the Bulk Hearts---They're my favorite!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky