Turkey -> Canadian Bacon?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tcounts

Fire Starter
Original poster
OK, so here's the situation. I've got some pork curing in the fridge for buck bacon. I've also had some success at Canadian Bacon.

My wife, however, really likes turkey. So my addled brain comes up with the thought, I wonder what would happen if I cure a boneless turkey breast like I would for Canadian Bacon ? And then smoke it when I smoke the bacon in another week.

Is it safe to cure a turkey breast for 7 days in the fridge ? 11 days?

I'm not worried about if it turns out edible, it'll be an interesting experiment, safety is my concern.

Absolutely! We cure and smoke turkeys all the time, it's the best tasting delicacy you've ever tried! I use a wet brine of 1 cup salt, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup brown sugar and 1 tbsp. DQ Cure #1 to 1 gallon of water, usually have to use two gallons (I soak it in my bottom crisper , but you can use a big pot or bucket, as long as you can refrigerate it.). I'll inject the breasts and let it pickle for 7 days then take it out, rinse it off and dry it and smoke it to 160°-165° in the breast and thigh. You can do just breasts, thighs, drums, boneless breast rolls, any kind of turkey. If it's over 2" thick it's best to inject some of the brine into it though to make sure you get full penetration. Use ziploc bags of water to weight it down to keep it covered in the brine. You'll love it!

I have also cured some turkey parts and they came out really good too. If pops saids your be alright I would believe him for he is one of the Guru's around here. I cured some legs and wings and then after I smoked them I wish that I had done alot more.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky