Tuning a Smoke N Pit

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
After being inspired by Capt Dan's plate with gradually larger holes earlier in this thread

and after seeing this photo at a site that was posted at this link

http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_...t_smokers.html

in another thread (wish I could remember who posted it so I could give credit)

I have decided to make yet another tuning plate.

This one will be 1/8" plate 13.5" wide by 30" long with holes on 2.25" centers starting form 1/4" and going up to 1". It will rest on the edge of my existing baffle and hopefully will do a good job of dispersing the heat and evening out the temperature while providing mass to absorb and reflect heat.

Tomorrow will be my first cook with the four plate setup, but even if the temps seem even I still may go ahead and make the "dispersion plate". After all, this is a hobby and part of the fun is tinkering around.

While I believe there is a fine line between continually seeking improvement and not knowing when to leave well enough alone, I also believe that it is sometimes necessary to hop back and forth over that line.
icon_smile.gif

Dave

Yes, smaller holes go towards the firebox end. I just drew the big holes first and worked left to right. Should have flipped the pic for clarity.

Dave

Just joining the thread here.  Putting in some tuning plates in my smoker.  Is a baffle better to have or just shoot the tuning plates straight across???  Will the baffle restrict airflow???  Ask twice, cut once!!

Just joining the thread here.  Putting in some tuning plates in my smoker.  Is a baffle better to have or just shoot the tuning plates straight across???  Will the baffle restrict airflow???  Ask twice, cut once!!

This thread is almost 5 years old...so, um, maybe they'll respond? Do a search and see what else pops up?

~Brett

Put your smoke stack on the other end and you almost have a reverse flow. Just being a smart A_ _  Looks like it should work, at least you will be able to control your heat. May take a time or two to get your plates where they work best. Good Luck.

Its all about moving the smoke laden air and heat. The lower the temperature, the less the air moves so you get hot and cold spots.

I have a New Braunfels smoker offset smoker and drilled a hole in the cooking section just after the connection to the firebox, mounted a small long shaft motor on the outside and but a small fan blade on the inside. Works like a convection oven now.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky