Tuna Loin

Discussion in 'Fish' started by johnnytex, Sep 6, 2015.

1. johnnytex

johnnytex Fire Starter

Got a birthday party next weekend and a friend gave me a full 3.3 lb tuna loin.
    Looking for advice on smoking it in my #3.
    Brine?
    Slice or cook whole?
    Any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Nice present! How you cook depends on your guests...I like my Tuna cut in 2" X 2" lengths, marinated in Teryaki or Bulgogi marinade, 4 hours, and seared so 1/4" of the outside is cooked and a raw interior...Not everybodies cup of Tea. If smoking it is what you want and more done is desired, cut it in half length wise, with the grain, and a smoke it at 225°F to an IT of 130°. slice the now med/rare, medium tuna across the grain with a VERY sharp knife and serve. A Brine is optional, some recipes below, or simply season with your favorite Rub, even Montreal Steak Seasoning, and smoke...JJ

Bearcarver's Fish Brine

Brine:
    Put 1/2 quart of apple juice in a pot on the stove, bringing to low boil & then down to simmer.
    Add to this;
    6 ounces of soy sauce
    1/2 cup of non-iodized salt
    1/2 cup of brown sugar
    1/2 tsp of Garlic powder
    1/2 tsp of Onion powder
    1/2 tsp of Cayenne pepper
    1/2 tsp of Dried Bay Leaf Flakes (or 2 or 3 fresh bay leaves)

Stir until salt is dissolved. Then add 1 1/2 quarts of water & ice to cool quickly.

Leave the Salmon pieces submerged in this brine for 6 hours in fridge. Overnight was too long. 4 hours was not long enough.

On Edit due to further testing, I will change the lengths of time to keep pieces of fish in the above brine:

Pieces thicker than 1/2" should be in brine for 6 hours.

Pieces 1/2" thick or less should only be in brine for 4 hours.

After removing from brine, rinse each piece well, pat dry, and lay on paper towels. Dry in front of a fan to form a Pellicle, tacky dry exterior.

Mr. T’s Smoked Salmon Brine

Ingredients:
    ½ cup canning, Kosher salt or Tender Quick (preferred), 3.0 oz. by weight.
    ½ tsp. Paprika
    1 ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
    1 ½ tsp. cayenne
    1 quart water
    1 Tbs. garlic powder
    2 cups brown sugar
    4 bay leaves

PH 4.1

Sal. 54% @ 60°F - 15.6°C salt and water only
    Sal. 84% @ 60°F - 15.6°C all ingredients combined

Preparation:
    Combine all ingredients and stir until sugar has dissolved.
    Place fish in a nonreactive container with brine and completely cover, then refrigerate. A zip bag works well at this point. If using a bag I overhaul or move the fish around two or three times during the brining period.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  3. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

What kind of tuna is my first question. Albacore, blue fun, yellow fun, yellow tail? It makes a difference...

Second question, are planning on serving got, cold?

Need more info.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015