Trying out some beef ribs for the first time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Omnivore

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 11, 2019
Someone posted some beef back ribs a couple days ago and it inspired me to try them out. I've always skipped over them at the store because the ones they sell here aren't very meaty but upon closer inspection it looks like there's quite a bit of meat between the ribs and it's probably pretty rich. So here's the progress so far:

1 bigger slab and 2 single ribs. (Side rant: I get that some people cook for 1 person only, but if you are going to take the time to cook these why not cook more than ONE rib?)
20190806_093601.jpg

Kept seasoning simple with kosher salt, pepper, and garlic. I was tempted to do something more intricate with some zhug I have in the cupboard but figured I should let the meat shine since I've never had these before.
20190806_095455.jpg

Into the MES at 250F with hickory pellets. Still haven't done the damn mailbox mod. I'm going to make a point to not check or tinker with these so much. Kind of kicking myself for not shelling out the extra 20 bucks for a MES 30 with a window but I need to remind myself that the smoke flow and InkBird tell me everything I need to know.
20190806_100344.jpg

That's it for now. Will report back later!

You will love the beef ribs! what time should I be over to sample!

Nice! I've been wanted to do some beef ribs for a while. I've never smoked them, only grilled. I look forward to see how yours turn out.

I've wanted to do beef ribs too. But you don't hardly ever see them, they're of very poor quality and are generally priced at 10.00/lb...

We eat these all the time. Wife and I both LOVE them. You're right, there's not a lot of meat on them but the meat that is there is just awesome & our local grocery sells them for $2.29/lbs so the price is right (you just have to be there to get them when they put them out!) I typically just cook them fast with hickory. look forward to your pics when done.

I think you will like doing them! I did them for the first time a couple of years ago and love them. Hard to find any good ones where I am at but I always check when I go to the store and if I find any that are good I just go ahead and grab them while I can. Look forward to see how yours come out.

6 hours later and they were probe tender at 198F. We have company coming over for dinner for some slow roasted chinook but one person doesn't eat fish so I can't slice into these yet! I did manage to tear a hunk off one of the single ribs and omg they are delicious. Nice and smokey and a surprisingly great bark for what looked like a small amount of seasoning. Definitely will be snagging this cut at the store from now on.

I had a heck of a time with the MES. It was set at 275 the entire time and took until the last 2 hours to get towards 260-270. I averaged 220f for most of the cook. At one point I was getting an error message of either EAA1 or EAAF (hard to see in the sun) and I had to unplug it three times before it finally stopped showing. After that we fairy quickly got temps up to 260. From what I've researched this is usually caused by cold weather which was definitely not an issue today. Anyway, I'm glad it straightened itself out and the ribs turned out to be soooo good!
20190806_155302.jpg

Bingo!

If you ask the butcher when they usually cut their boneless rib eyes thats when you can snag them. Better yet ask him to leave the rack whole and set it a side for you!

Nice job on your first run! I’m sure you are hooked now!

As an FYI beef ribs are very forgiving on time, cook them and finished temp. They can be done hot and fast or low and slow or in between, just yum every time!

Reactions: phil129
Nice cook! LIKE IT!

I made my first cook of these recently and loved them. Wife wont admit she like them more than brisket - but secretly I think she does.

If you have a Costco - check there. in UT I have two somewhat close, one has them and one does not. I have never seen them at the Smiths (Kroger)

Your ribs look fantastic - Nice job...We can only find them around the holiday season around here.

Point for sure
Chris

Thanks everyone! This forum has been so helpful in not only learning how to smoke but also figuring out what to make for dinner! You folks are awesome. Now that I've gotten a couple good cooks under my belt I'm feeling ready to cross over to the dark side and attempt a brisket.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky