Trust iGrill II at higher temps with Davy Crockett

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

outlawsx6

Original poster
Apr 2, 2018
Minnesota
I'm on my second GMG Davy Crockett trying to get a handle on the temp difference between it and my thermometer, iGrill II. GMG cs has been trying to figure it out with me, even swapped out with another grill. I've got over four hours total on the phone with them, and am no closer to trusting the temps enough to smoke anything yet. I've done the home calibration with ice and boiling water multiple times and always come up with 32 and 210 on the iGrill.

At 150 on the DC I get 176
At 200 I get 232
At 225 I get 287
At 300 I get 395
At 350 I get 486

I've tried multiple areas on the grates but all those numbers are directly over their temp probe. The iGrill sits about 1" above the grate which is 1" above their sensor, 2" total. Is there something wrong with my thermometer? I've used it many times on my old Camp Chef with total confidence until the grill died, then got rid of it for the Davy Crockett, thinking it would be an upgrade. Both GMGs were brand new in the box with the newer one piece grease tray, so current stock.

If the calibration tests are checking out with the iGrill, then you should trust that reading. Most stock therms on smokers and grills are cheap and wildly inaccurate. Not to mention they are usually mounted on the lid, well above your food, or on the walls, away from the center of the grate where your food likely is. Most people on here have secondary therms that you can place on the grate next to your food, like your iGrill, to get accurate readings where it matters. I wouldn’t put much stock in the reading on the Davy Crocket, just go off your iGrill . . .
Hope that helps!

Do you have multiple probes with your iGrill, if so put them all in the smoker & see what kind of readings you get.
But as said above unless you have a bad probe I would trust the iGrill to be the accurate therm.
Al

I’ve had no negative issues using a meat probe as an ambient probe with the IGrill 2.

The only difference I can tell between the meat and ambient probe is the way they look. I get the same readings if I use a meat probe as an ambient probe. The refresh rate between them appears to be the same.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky