Trout and tilapia smoked...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

What type of wood.

• Hickory

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mesquite

• Cherry

• Apple

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

grohl4pres

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Apr 14, 2011
Forney, TX
Alright guys here is the game plan for today.  My plan for the trout is plenty of butter, lemon wedges, salt, pepper, and some dill.  I think I should keep it simple and plenty of flavor with the dill and lemon.  Second the tilapia,  I am thinking brush it with some olive oil, lemon wedges, heavy dill, parsley, garlic, salt, pepper, and a little red pepper.  How does that sound?  My question for you guys is, what kind of wood should I use?  I have hickory, mesquite, cherry, and apple.  I am leaning toward hickory.  Give me some ideas please.  If you have some ideas for the fish let me know I do not plan on starting this until around 5 eastern time so help a brother out....
beercheer.gif

Since it's going to be a very short smoke I would use mesquite. It's a little stronger & will give you a nice smoke flavor, just remember TBS.

Hickory, because I am a Smoke Hound!

I only have a little Mesquite, and I'm saving that for a special occasion, and it might be a bit strong for Trout.

I never tried smoking those Egyptian Crappies (Tilapia), but I would try Hickory on them too.

And Don't forget the Qview!

Bear

Thanks for the replies!  I am a smokehound too!  I have had a few people say apple but I am leaning toward a mesqite/hickory mix.  I have mixed those two many times with an awesome result.  I will finalize my decision in 30 minutes or so...  Also some pictures as well...I think it is time to ice down some cold ones and get ready, what do you guys think? 
beercheer.gif

Smoking trout, I use a litlle mesquite. I smoke tilapia with alder or apple. It's all good my friend.

Hickory, because I am a Smoke Hound!

I only have a little Mesquite, and I'm saving that for a special occasion, and it might be a bit strong for Trout.

I never tried smoking those Egyptian Crappies (Tilapia), but I would try Hickory on them too.

And Don't forget the Qview!

Bear
LMAO Bear....Egyptian Crappies....thanks for the belly laugh. Actually, they're more likely Chinese Crappies....where most of them come from. I quit eating them after learning of the lousy farming methods used and that they are bottom feeders often put in ponds with other fish to eat the shit.....but then again I suppose crabs do the same thing and they be pretty tasty.

LMAO Bear....Egyptian Crappies....thanks for the belly laugh. Actually, they're more likely Chinese Crappies....where most of them come from. I quit eating them after learning of the lousy farming methods used and that they are bottom feeders often put in ponds with other fish to eat the shit.....but then again I suppose crabs do the same thing and they be pretty tasty.
I figured Asian too, because the first time I ever saw (and caught) them was near Schoefield Barracks, Hawaii, in 1970, but I looked it up. Seems they originated in Egypt.

No doubt Asia has the most now, by far.

I know they bit like, ran like, played like, looked like, and tasted like the Crappies we got in PA. Not bad.

Bear

471dd529_20110417175810.jpg

bc2d03e5_20110417175838.jpg

051e5023_20110417203358.jpg

Final product was outstanding!  We had Parmesan asparagus, sauteed zucchini,and couscous.  It mixed so well together!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky