• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Sourdough starter help

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
It's amazing how resilient it is. Once you've got a good one going (as I finally did), it can rest for a long time, still look great and be revived in a day or 3.
 
SD starter can have many personalities.
My last one was very hot on lactic production. After only a week in the fridge, it produced a lot of hooch. Sadly, I forgot to pack it for the fall migration.

I started my next round today. I used a blend of flour plus had some dried starter from Rick. This will be an adventure for a couple of weeks.

My pour neglected Sourdough starter been sitting in the fridge probably 6 months. 3 days and back to life. Doubled in a few hours. They say to feed ever week but why? Will be making some killer sourdough waffles this weekend.
...
I make killer sourdough pancakes with a recipe from NordicWare. Sometimes you need more liquid to thin the batter to flow better when pouring on the griddle.

Don't remember if I asked or you shared your waffle recipe. After 4 days of traveling, we are waffled out for a month
 
You need to add a review on that site to promote it--no one has yet
Not really my thing on anonymous.
I also change up the recipe by using unsalted butter, deleting the added salt (baking soda adds enough sodium for our taste) as well as the vanilla, sugar, and zest. We like a basic buttermilk cake. Fed my version to many at the last So Florida gathering. Very happy eaters.

Give it a try and post your review?
 
I like to use a 50/50 of AP and fresh milled wheat. The AP is like refined sugar to us, the yeast goes crazy for it but the fresh milled wheat berries provide character and nutrition for it. I start it on my hot water tank after leaving it open in a window for a day. I like to keep it the consistency of really thick pancake mix. I just stir the hooch back in most of the time.
 
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top
Clicky