• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Tring to smoke cheese first time

graniteman

Smoke Blower
Joined Feb 8, 2011
I have been reading all of your information on smoking cheese and decided to give a try.  I'm trying Sharp Cheddar & Swiss, and
Hickory & Apple wood. Using my Smokin Tex 1400 w/ a cold plate.

alelover

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 9, 2010
Looks good to me. Great color. Should be awesome in about 2 weeks.

richoso1

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 21, 2007
Congrats on what looks like a great smoke. It's all good my friend.

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Wow!  Nice color!

That white cheese really changed color!

How long & how heavy was the smoke?

Bear

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
That cheese looks really good! Bet it's gonna be hard to wait 2 weeks to get into it.

graniteman

Smoke Blower
Joined Feb 8, 2011
I WENT WITH MY COLD PLATE BOOKLET DIRECTIONS,  I SMOKED THE CHEESE AT 150 FOR 15 MINS., SHUT THE UNIT DOWN, STILL SMOKIN, OPEN UNIT AFTER 90 MINS. CHECKED COLOR, FELT LIKE I  NEEDED TO DO IT ONCE MORE .  THE BOOKLET SAID I COULD DO IT TWICE.   SO I DID, IT LOOKS GOOD TO ME NOW.  WAS VERY EASY, CAN'T WAIT FOR THE 2 WEEKS TO BE UP.  I HAVE PURCHASED MORE CHEESE READY TO DO ANOTHER BATCH AFTER I TRY THE 1ST BATCH.

graniteman

Smoke Blower
Joined Feb 8, 2011
THANKS, THE GUYS AT WORK CAN'T WAIT.  MIGHT HAVE TO MAKE MORE

Last edited:

realtorterry

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 5, 2009
If you can't stand the two weeks just send some here & i'll let you know how it came it

venture

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 1, 2008
Looks great!  I don't think that Swiss needs two weeks rest.  I bet it doesn't last that long anyway.  LOL

scarbelly

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 26, 2009
Hey Graniteman - welcome to SMF. The cheese looks good. You will love it in 2 weeks

That looks like a SmokinTex 1400 smoker you got there. If so it is the same smoker I have. The heat shield plate works pretty well but for about $30 I can help you smoke a whole lot better with that unit. The A MAZN SMOKER fits into the smoker and gives you a consistant smoke source for both hot AND cold smokes. I have been using it for quite a while now and it does what the chunk box cant do. If you want some help send me a PM and I will be glad to help   

tjohnson

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Insider
Joined Dec 29, 2009
Welcome!

Great Looking Cheese!!!

Todd

rw willy

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 7, 2008
Looks great.  Haven't done Swiss.  Tell us about it in 2 weeks.

oregon smoker

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Mar 16, 2007
the cheese looks great i have done both swiss and Jarlsburg and found for me the two week wait made a big difference. the havati that just came out was outstanding as well. the next batch will have some meunster, any one tried this cheese?

tommerr

Fire Starter
Joined Nov 21, 2010
OK, ya got me. I love smoked cheese. What is a cold plate? Did I see a tray of ice?

virginiasmokesignal

Meat Mopper
Joined May 21, 2009
Graniteman,

That is some beautiful cheese, I don't know if I could wait the two weeks, might have to smoke it here at home and take it to the lake house and refrigerate it over there so I did not open up any sealed packages and try it out, that would give me an hour and a half drive from the cheese. LOL!!!   Your doing a fine job graniteman!  Keep up the good work and the Q-View.

Your SMF Friend,

Barry 

Last edited:

graniteman

Smoke Blower
Joined Feb 8, 2011
OK, ya got me. I love smoked cheese. What is a cold plate? Did I see a tray of ice?

I ordered the cold plate with my smokin tex 1400,  it is a metal shelf with insulation in it to keep the heat in the lower chamber .  you put ice in  a container and place it on the the shelf.

the upper chamber stayed at 70 degrees while the bottom was set at 150 degrees to ignite the wood chips.  You can see the plate in the picture under the ice.  Thanks for asking, good luck with your next smoke.

Graniteman

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.