Tring to smoke cheese first time

Discussion in 'Cheese' started by graniteman, Mar 21, 2011.

1. graniteman

graniteman Smoke Blower

I have been reading all of your information on smoking cheese and decided to give a try.  I'm trying Sharp Cheddar & Swiss, and
    Hickory & Apple wood. Using my Smokin Tex 1400 w/ a cold plate.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Looks good to me. Great color. Should be awesome in about 2 weeks.

3. richoso1

richoso1 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Congrats on what looks like a great smoke. It's all good my friend.

4. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Wow!  Nice color!

That white cheese really changed color!

How long & how heavy was the smoke?

Bear

5. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

That cheese looks really good! Bet it's gonna be hard to wait 2 weeks to get into it.

6. graniteman

graniteman Smoke Blower

I WENT WITH MY COLD PLATE BOOKLET DIRECTIONS,  I SMOKED THE CHEESE AT 150 FOR 15 MINS., SHUT THE UNIT DOWN, STILL SMOKIN, OPEN UNIT AFTER 90 MINS. CHECKED COLOR, FELT LIKE I  NEEDED TO DO IT ONCE MORE .  THE BOOKLET SAID I COULD DO IT TWICE.   SO I DID, IT LOOKS GOOD TO ME NOW.  WAS VERY EASY, CAN'T WAIT FOR THE 2 WEEKS TO BE UP.  I HAVE PURCHASED MORE CHEESE READY TO DO ANOTHER BATCH AFTER I TRY THE 1ST BATCH.

7. graniteman

graniteman Smoke Blower

THANKS, THE GUYS AT WORK CAN'T WAIT.  MIGHT HAVE TO MAKE MORE

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  8. realtorterry

realtorterry Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

If you can't stand the two weeks just send some here & i'll let you know how it came it [​IMG]

9. venture

venture Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looks great!  I don't think that Swiss needs two weeks rest.  I bet it doesn't last that long anyway.  LOL

10. beer-b-q

beer-b-q Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looks Great.. You are going to love it...

11. rstr hunter

rstr hunter Smoking Fanatic

Looks great.  It's amazing how fast a batch dissappears.  Great job.

12. looks great! Smoked cheese does not last long around my place.

13. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Hey Graniteman - welcome to SMF. The cheese looks good. You will love it in 2 weeks

That looks like a SmokinTex 1400 smoker you got there. If so it is the same smoker I have. The heat shield plate works pretty well but for about $30 I can help you smoke a whole lot better with that unit. The A MAZN SMOKER fits into the smoker and gives you a consistant smoke source for both hot AND cold smokes. I have been using it for quite a while now and it does what the chunk box cant do. If you want some help send me a PM and I will be glad to help   

14. tjohnson

tjohnson Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Insider OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Welcome!

Great Looking Cheese!!!

Todd

15. Nice lookin cheese! This is on my to-do list.

16. rw willy

rw willy Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Looks great.  Haven't done Swiss.  Tell us about it in 2 weeks.

17. the cheese looks great i have done both swiss and Jarlsburg and found for me the two week wait made a big difference. the havati that just came out was outstanding as well. the next batch will have some meunster, any one tried this cheese?

18. tommerr

tommerr Fire Starter

OK, ya got me. I love smoked cheese. What is a cold plate? Did I see a tray of ice?

19. Graniteman,

That is some beautiful cheese, I don't know if I could wait the two weeks, might have to smoke it here at home and take it to the lake house and refrigerate it over there so I did not open up any sealed packages and try it out, that would give me an hour and a half drive from the cheese. LOL!!!   Your doing a fine job graniteman!  Keep up the good work and the Q-View.

Your SMF Friend,

Barry  [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  20. graniteman

graniteman Smoke Blower

I ordered the cold plate with my smokin tex 1400,  it is a metal shelf with insulation in it to keep the heat in the lower chamber .  you put ice in  a container and place it on the the shelf.

the upper chamber stayed at 70 degrees while the bottom was set at 150 degrees to ignite the wood chips.  You can see the plate in the picture under the ice.  Thanks for asking, good luck with your next smoke.

Graniteman