Tring to smoke cheese first time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

graniteman

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
Fremont, Ohio
I have been reading all of your information on smoking cheese and decided to give a try.  I'm trying Sharp Cheddar & Swiss, and
Hickory & Apple wood. Using my Smokin Tex 1400 w/ a cold plate.

47c422e5_003.jpg
0e124418_004.jpg
4389b0c8_007.jpg

Congrats on what looks like a great smoke. It's all good my friend.

Wow!  Nice color!

That white cheese really changed color!

How long & how heavy was the smoke?

Bear

I WENT WITH MY COLD PLATE BOOKLET DIRECTIONS,  I SMOKED THE CHEESE AT 150 FOR 15 MINS., SHUT THE UNIT DOWN, STILL SMOKIN, OPEN UNIT AFTER 90 MINS. CHECKED COLOR, FELT LIKE I  NEEDED TO DO IT ONCE MORE .  THE BOOKLET SAID I COULD DO IT TWICE.   SO I DID, IT LOOKS GOOD TO ME NOW.  WAS VERY EASY, CAN'T WAIT FOR THE 2 WEEKS TO BE UP.  I HAVE PURCHASED MORE CHEESE READY TO DO ANOTHER BATCH AFTER I TRY THE 1ST BATCH.

Hey Graniteman - welcome to SMF. The cheese looks good. You will love it in 2 weeks

That looks like a SmokinTex 1400 smoker you got there. If so it is the same smoker I have. The heat shield plate works pretty well but for about $30 I can help you smoke a whole lot better with that unit. The A MAZN SMOKER fits into the smoker and gives you a consistant smoke source for both hot AND cold smokes. I have been using it for quite a while now and it does what the chunk box cant do. If you want some help send me a PM and I will be glad to help   

OK, ya got me. I love smoked cheese. What is a cold plate? Did I see a tray of ice?

Graniteman,

That is some beautiful cheese, I don't know if I could wait the two weeks, might have to smoke it here at home and take it to the lake house and refrigerate it over there so I did not open up any sealed packages and try it out, that would give me an hour and a half drive from the cheese. LOL!!!   Your doing a fine job graniteman!  Keep up the good work and the Q-View.

Your SMF Friend,

Barry 
biggrin.gif

Last edited:
OK, ya got me. I love smoked cheese. What is a cold plate? Did I see a tray of ice?

I ordered the cold plate with my smokin tex 1400,  it is a metal shelf with insulation in it to keep the heat in the lower chamber .  you put ice in  a container and place it on the the shelf.

the upper chamber stayed at 70 degrees while the bottom was set at 150 degrees to ignite the wood chips.  You can see the plate in the picture under the ice.  Thanks for asking, good luck with your next smoke.

Graniteman

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky