Tribute to RonP

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

erain

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 2, 2008
cental minnesota
Hello folks. I know there have been a couple posts regarding Rons passing. I put this together from the threads he started sort of as a tribute to the man. i wasnt sure where to put it but i figured why not put in the elec smoker section as that is the home of his little MES. mods move elswhere if you see fit. He loved this forum dearly and the members here were his friends. I spoke with Ron the sunday evening before he passed  and even though he was in the hospital he was still asking questions about the forum. and even though you may not have known Ron very well or not even at all, he knew you.

his "scores" on managers specials etc and his expierements were his trademark. trying something different or out of the box was the norm for him. 

As you all know ron ran a restaurant in wisconson some years back. He always talked about getting back into the business but as luck would have it time was not on his side. here are some samples of what he did in his time here. he did it all including ways to use up leftovers and side dishes. we lost a good one folks. here is just a small sample of what he posted. rest in peace buddy.

Chicken Thighs W/Qview - Amaz-N-Smoke Generator

not a finished pic but as far as i can see is rons last smoke he posted...

Cold Smoked-Seared Rib Steak W/Qview

8# + 89 Cents A Pound Pork Butt Seared & Pulled W/Qview

Smoked Beef Tenderloin Filet Mignon W/Qview

Another Test-Chicken Thighs-A-Maze-N-Smoker W/Qviews

Ron really loved that A-Maze-N-Smoker as he shows here in one of his test runs on it, also notice the ingreds he used. he liked to keep it simple and let the meat and smoke speak for itself.  another not finished pic but trying my best to give a good mix.

Well, I wanted to try my new toy on some thighs that I had in the freezer.

Just salt, lemon pepper, and garlic.

Pastrami New Smoke Generator Lots Of Q/View

another of Ron's "likes" was his pastrami...

Can't Keep Me Down - Sam's Chicken W/Qview

another of Rons favorites were those rottiserie chickens he used to get from his sams club, think they were like 5 pound chix or so but he raved about them. i believe they were preinjected and he was able to buy them before they cooked them at the store and he would bring them home and smoke them.

First Smoke Since I Got Out Of Jail - Pastramies W/Qview

like i said earlier Ron really loved his pastrami... and he had it down. he would always call to make sure i checked it out... going to miss those calls bigtime.

i still remember this thread, is one when got his mes with the window and either he just cleaned it or was brand new but his lawn mower reflection showed up on the glass in one of the pictures and i replied...

"what the heck ron... howd you get your lawn mower inside the mes??? LOL
icon_mrgreen.gif
"

and this was followed up by Bearcarver and Beer-B-Q...

"LOL----Good one erain!   Smoked rotary lawn mower now Ron ?????"

"Heck erain, you know Ron, if it sits near the MES too long he figures a way to smoke it...
icon_mrgreen.gif
"

Smoked Salted Rib Steak W/Qview

Rons fav steak was the rib steak and he had this reverse sear thing going on where he would smoke and then he would take them to his gas grill which was running as hot as it could go and do a quick sear on it.

[h1]Salted Smoked Ribeye The Start Of Something Good W/Qview[/h1]

Shrimp Scampi W/QView Fast And Simple

Hawaiian Sweet And Sour Baby Back Ribs W/Qview

Smoked Salmon W/Qview

Asian Stir Fry Turkey Pastrami W Q/VIEW

Sam's Rotisserie Chicken Meets Mr. Youshida W/Qview

Smoked Cured Turkey Thighs W/Qview

Cured Chix Thighs W/Qview

nice twist with the sweet and sour and plum sauce!!! if it as good as it sounds i sure it was a hit!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Capicola With Q/View

Seared - Cured Baby Backs W/Qview

this is a post i made on a thread Ron started on his one year aniversary of jpoining the forum.. and he never changed did he...

5/2/09 at 8:21am

• erain
  • /custom/huddle/smokingmeat/img/badges/badge_otbsmember.v1282766688.png
  •  

happy anniversary on the forum ron.... dang how time flies, have enjoyed the conversations we have had in chat and otherwise. not only a fellow smf member but a good friend as well. i like the way you always share your info with others. reminds me of how when i first started here on the forum a few class A individuals did the same with me to get me going. you are an asset to the forum. i wish i could contribute as much as you do. keep up the good work!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Charbroil SFB, GOSM Big Block, 40" S/S MES, 22" Weber kettle, Assorted dutch ovens, Other misc. smokers... SMF Premiere Member

12 Cloves Of Garlic Stuffed Leg Of Lamb - Early Easter W/Qview

I used my favorite marinade, Yoshida's, and granulated garlic and lemon pepper.

Smoked Tomestone Pizza Gone Bad W/Qview For Erain And All Others

one sunday night Ron called me up and i was having a late snack... was munching on a tombstone pizza, anyway got to talking about frozen pizzas ands he told me tombstone was his favorite. i think he had a revalation about that time and he said "i am gonna smoke one a those suckers..." next week he had this post up....

After defrosting and smoked for maybe 1 1/2 hours.

Smoked Lasagna W/Qview

Smoked And Cured Chix Thighs

chicken thighs, especially cured were really one of Rons favorites...

Smoked Chicken Thighs / Wild Rice Chicken Soup W/Qview

1/2 onion, small can mushrooms.

I added 4 cups of chicken stock from Sam's club, the Tones stuff. And 1 cup wild rice, thanks Erain.

All done at 165'.

Finished.
This may be my favorite, though I love soup, very healthy also.

Creamy Smoked Baked Potato Soup W/QVIEW

Honey Mustard / Surprise W/QVIEW

more than cheetoos were tested...

Garlic Stuffed Leg Of Lamb W/QVIEWS

never had lamb before Ron did this smoke... just another thing a lil different he brought forth and perhaps introduce something different to others.

It's Not Worms, It's Cheetos W/QVIEW

and then there were these!!!

AIwYJ-a1ec8779-resize.jpg

this is a post ron made 4 months after joining the SMF...  almost seems surreal dont it...

[h1]Thank You SMF[/h1]
8/25/08 at 5:30am

• ronp
  • I Love Smokin' Anything
  • /custom/huddle/smokingmeat/img/badges/badge_otbsmember.v1282766688.png
  •  

When I joined in April, I had smoked some. I had several smokers and the last was an ECB, mayby used it 5 times a year.

I then found this site and got a MES shortly after. I immediately bought the premier membership to support this great site, 15.00 no big deal.

I have found so much information here it is unbelieaviable.

I have also formed some good friendships here.

I now smoke many times a week as fast as we can eat it. I have created many things that are out of this world because of the help and knowledge found here.

And for the newbies here, search what your looking to accomplish. If you can't find it just ask.

The members are very friendly and always ready to help.

Thanks Jeff, and all the members here and my new founded friends.

This place has changed my life, thank you.

And, happy smokes to all.
Ron

RIP Ron all of your friends at SMF will miss you.

I Had a rib joint in Minocqua, Northern Wisconsin for 8 years.
Converted commerical SS fridge with elec controls.
My next will be a Masterbuilt Electric Smoker. Can't wait!Finaly have it!!! May 15 2008, and love it!!My biggest sense of accomplishment

There are many posts, 430 in all and most of them are smoking posts etc... if you have time do a search and go thru them sometimes....  in closing, Ron was really hooked on this forum... i mean bad...  and he loved every bit of it. i wouldnt doubt if he didnt read every single post. as i was looking thru these posts and i noticed the change in his sig line, i noticed one other thing... the off line status. perhaps the mods could find a way to change it to online, as i am sure ron is watching the forum still. thanks for checking Ron's qview.    erain

Last edited:
Reactions: daricksta
Erain,

Thanks for compiling a great bunch of great posts from a great guy. RonP was truly "one-of-a-kind"!

May he rest in TBS.

Thanks RonP,

Bear

Well done erain!

Ron was the MES King, he loved his MES from Sams club.  Ron's enthusiasm about the MES probably accounts for at least 10% of MES sales and certainly more if they were bought at Sams club.

It is sad that SMF will lose this great guy's presence here, and for those who really got to know and talk with Ron lose such a fine Qn buddy.

I'm sure Ron would say to us all,  "Boys don't worry about me, I'm in a better place, so go fire up your smokers and start serving some delicious Q!"

icon_cool.gif

Very nice there Erain. As always a great tribute to a good guy and I to had some good learning experiences with the man. Now I never did get on the yosheda's trains thou. But Ron sure did like to cure alot of things.

Greetings,

I've been away from the forum for a while now, very busy with work and family. Tonight, I was checking things out and found this. Did a search to find out what I missed.

Erain, this is a great tribute to a great man. Thank you.

I've learned a lot from Ron in the short time I've been here. Always enjoyed his posts. I'm truly saddened that we have lost him. I believe that our loss is Heaven's gain.

To Ron's family, you have my prayers in a difficult time. I'm sorry I'm so late in my offering. Please forgive me and know that Ron helped a lot of people he never knew.

Rest in peace, Ron.

Erain, that was perfect. A great tribute to a great man. I like what RonP said ( This place has changed my life, thank you.)
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

That was a great tribute and must have taken you a lot of time to compile - I have had the Yoshidas several times and was never as excited as he was but always respected that he loved it so much he promoted it constantly

Thanks for taking the time to compile and post this great tribute to one of the most popular guys to hit this forum

Thanks Erain. When I saw the Leg of Lamb I had to laugh because he kept telling Carol it was beef.

Thanks Erain. When I saw the Leg of Lamb I had to laugh because he kept telling Carol it was beef.
no problem everyone. it was an honor to put this together. just wish i could have spent a little more time on it and included more ronp quotes etc...i guess maybe i was a little selfish cause i included some things which really only applied to me. but please feel free to add your own personal moment onto this thread. this is not my thread, this is for all of the smf members(is how ron woulda done it) to view and add there little piece of history with ron if they wish.

Brian, funny thing... yano i was not really sure if he ever did tell Carol, and i had that part included... then i figured i better not so i backspaced it off...

no problem everyone. it was an honor to put this together. just wish i could have spent a little more time on it and included more ronp quotes etc...i guess maybe i was a little selfish cause i included some things which really only applied to me. but please feel free to add your own personal moment onto this thread. this is not my thread, this is for all of the smf members(is how ron woulda done it) to view and add there little piece of history with ron if they wish.

Brian, funny thing... yano i was not really sure if he ever did tell Carol, and i had that part included... then i figured i better not so i backspaced it off...

Erain,

Ron told me that Carol found out about it. I believe she found the meat wrapper in the trash. He said she was mad. He had a good chuckle about it.

Thanks for the tribute, erain!  I always enjoyed Ron's posts too.

Haven't been to the site in a while. I always enjoyed RonP's posts and learned alot from him...got a MES because of him. Shocked to hear of his passing. I am grateful for his wisdom and pray for his family.

Thank you Ron...

Uhg. 
icon_cry.gif
  Been on vacation for a few weeks, and I return to here to learn about losing a brother in smoke.    I like a lot of people learned a lot from Ron.  Especially on how to get great food from the MES.  Ron re kindled my love for Yoshida's, and I owe some of my latest competition recipes due to that.  Ron you will be missed..  I'll see you in the great smokehouse in the sky.

Thanks for putting this together Erain.  It was well done...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky