Tri Tip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Javaaman

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 10, 2018
Port St Lucie, FL
First try at a Tri Tip (a little under 2#). Olive oil and a good Texas rub, in the fridge for 24 hrs. Coming up to room temp now. Will go in the smoker for an hour at 180*. Second hour at 325*. Target temp for resting is 135*. Thoughts - suggestions?
Keeping my fingers crossed!

Attachments

• 20180826_152943.jpg
    20180826_152943.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 65
Reactions: mike5051 and piker
Sounds like a solid plan of action

Tell me about it! I remember growing up in NY when skirt steak was considered a "throw away". Those in the industry knew better!! Still my favorite cut of steak. Especially when marinated in garlic and olive oil and then seared to perfection!

Move your thermo to double check the IT. If that's all good then there you are. Done earlier than expected. You could always pull early and finish on a hot grill.

Tri-tip is one of my favorites. I do like to finish them on a hot grill though. Just enough to char it up and finish that crust.

It sure looks good, but it also looks like you didn't slice it across the grain.
I think it would have been much more tender if sliced cross grain.
Al

Yup, always slice TT across the grain. A quick cheat method is to note the grain before smoking and slice a small tip off in the proper direction. This way after its done, you will see which way to do the slicing.

The grain in a TT changes directions so you have to adjust the slicing angle as you are carving.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky