Tri Tip Nor Cal.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Will Squared

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 24, 2020
Just got back from scouting...
Smart & Final had Tri Tip for $3.51.
21.22 lb package for $82.55.

Eye of Round $3.19
5.86 lb package for $18,69

Beef bottom round $2.99
14.21 lb for $ 42.49 - basically the whole leg.

Nice job Will! I used to load up on tritip when we lived in Elk Grove when it came on sale for $2.99lb untrimmed. After trimming off the bulk of the fat it usually worked out to cost right around $3,70lb. We've been in AZ eight months now, tri's sell for $6-$7 a pound, never seen them on sale. On the other hand, T-bones seem to be on sale every other week, usually $4.79lb and once saw the for $3.99lb. Go figure. RAY

Reactions: Will Squared

that should only be $74.48 You should bring it back and show them. IMHO
Richie

That is unbelievable, you wouldn’t believe what we have to pay for TT. Al

Yeah, I flat don't get it either Al. I've never paid more than $3.99 a pound for tritip, and that was for trimmed. I hear you folks paying ten bucks a pound more for the same cut of meat, that's about what fillet mignon goes for. I used to buy whole fillet mignon roast and cut steaks out of them, quit that when they started going over $7 a pound. RAY

that should only be $74.48 You should bring it back and show them. IMHO
Richie
There was an extra mark down for a sale.
I know the math doesn't work out.

Great price on the TT will. I haven’t checked with my butcher in awhile to see what they charge. Last time it was $6 or 7$ a lb.

Now, if I want a TT right this instant. A local grocer stocks them but.....$13.50/lb....Yeah, no thanks!

• Wow
I'm going back today. I have a bone to pick with the Produce Guy.
I ordered a case (10 lb.) of Anaheims which was the reason for the trip to town. Got them back home and they are less than acceptable. Maybe took a long trip from Mexico, but they don't look so good. It was $13 for the case. A case of Jalapenos is $6.50. But he did have around 60 lbs of ripe bananas for $.39. I will probably grab 15 lb, that is about what I can dry at a time.

I got a good deal on mesquite lump there last week... $32 for 80 lb !

I checked every meat source in our town yesterday and saw TT as high as $10 per lb.
I might try their Eye of Round next time we spring for beef... Jerk it.
Might jerk some pork loin next... easier of the wallet.

I'll wait of peppers until they are in season and get fresh at the Farmers Market.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky