Traeger Durability? Help with my decision!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shlongstar

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 15, 2009
Orange County, CA
Hello All,

It's been a LONG time since I've posted here.  I've been smoking meats still... just not enough time to read the forum and post stuff! 

I wanna get a new smoker for reasons below, and I'm looking at the Traeger Texas (BBQ075) at Costco Roadshows for $799.

Does anybody have an idea of how DURABLE these are, and if they'll last me a while?  $799 is a lot of money to invest, and I wanna make sure it lasts a long time.

-

I currently have a used WSM 18.5" and a GOSM.  Absolutely LOVE the WSM, but it doesn't quite fit as much food as I'd like.

I would like something with more room because I'm considering cooking for much larger parties, and catering for fun (just family and friends for now).

I also want something EASY to use because I have two kids now and can't babysit a smoker, and would like to keep any setup/cleanup to a minimum.

So my options are either a new WSM 22, a second WSM 18.5, or the Traeger.

What do you guys think?

I've had my Traeger for over 2 years now with no problems and I use it about an average of 3-4 times a month.  I always vaccuum out my fire pot and the bottom of the Traeger before each session.  I have heard of people burming out their ignitor rods from leaving too much ash in the pot.  Keep them dry and clean and you should be ok.

[quote name="shlongstar" url="/forum/thread/103668/traeger-durability-help-with-my-decision#post_599171"]
unionguy- is your Traeger one of the newer China-made models?

Thanks for the input!
[/quote]

Yes, unfortunately. Didn't know till a while after I had it.

I've had my Traeger into my 6th year now and I'm totally happy with it still.... Traeger says they are still made with the same materials as the older ones and should be every bit as good... I know people that have the new ones and they seem to be the same as mine.... For ease of smoking, flavor, cleaning, and versatility you can not beat a Traeger!!!!! Best money I ever spent!!!!  If and when this one ever dies I will buy another!!!!  But it's not even close to retirement yet!!! 
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Last edited:
The two local shops here just stopped selling them and is going with the Green Mountain Grill one instead. They said they are just a better built product that added a few things that make it a better grill for the same price. They did point out the rod breaking as one of the things that the GMG doesnt seem to have a problem with. I have not used either but the GMG did seem a little better build when i looked at them side by side.

The two local shops here just stopped selling them and is going with the Green Mountain Grill one instead. They said they are just a better built product that added a few things that make it a better grill for the same price. They did point out the rod breaking as one of the things that the GMG doesnt seem to have a problem with. I have not used either but the GMG did seem a little better build when i looked at them side by side.
I haven't personally seen a GMG but I just watched their video about them and it seems to be a complete copy of the Traeger system.... It looked ok but the guy doing the talking aggravated the hell out of me... If he said "I think not" one more time I was gonna shoot my computer!!!!   
icon_eek.gif
    lmao  
icon_lol.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky