Traditional offset, top down cooking, to baffle or not to baffle

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

1975amokin

Original poster
Oct 4, 2022
For folks that prefer offsets that cook top down with collector at grate level what’s the general consensus on baffles? Seems like no baffle or a short baffle makes the most sense, but curious on everyone’s take! Thanks all!

Considering this for a 24x48 cooker fwiw.

I recently removed the baffle from my offset smoker it’s a cos but it did cook better and in my opinion created a way better smoke profile. I’m no expert and look forward to see what others have to say about this.

I think it depends on your offset. I think a high quality offset would likely be already set up with what would be ideal, whether it be with a baffle or without. I have a OK Joe Highland which cooks better with the aftermarket baffle I installed. Good luck.

Reactions: 1975amokin
I recently removed the baffle from my offset smoker it’s a cos but it did cook better and in my opinion created a way better smoke profile. I’m no expert and look forward to see what others have to say about this.
Yeah this is my feeling- def curious if the pros in here agree

Reactions: Marknmd
I replaced my old CharGriller with an OK Joe's Highland this spring and rigged a baffle of sorts with a couple of the plates I had for the old one. It doesn't really do much with the pit temps (The OK is much smaller), but it seems to make fire management easier and uses less wood.
baffled.jpg
I'm not exactly a newbie but I don't know what "top down with collector at grate level" means....

I'm not familiar with the top down reference I'm guessing it means with the door closed? Collector at grate level meaning the exhaust at grate level? You may or may not need a baffle but for a 24X28 offset I would go with tuning plates rather than just one baffle at the fire box opening into the cooking chamber. I have five plates in mine. The first one goes tight up against where the fire box opening meets the smoking chamber. The rest I space out across the rest of the smoker according to how i want the temps to run where.

I'm not exactly a newbie but I don't know what "top down with collector at grate level" means....

The top down reference, picture a brisket on the grate on the left side of the cc. The hot air and smoke come from the firebox enter the cc and rise going up and come back down over the top of the brisket and exit at grate level. A baffle can potentially force the hot air down when entering the cc and when it rises to leave at grate level it will hit the bottom of the brisket risking the bottom being burnt. Here is a video that explains it a little more.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky