Plan 9 from outer space (Grand Champ XD) heat baffle.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chasdev

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 18, 2020
Based on a YouTube tutorial, which advised using a heat baffe to direct the firebox production upward instead of down (which is how I have been doing all my "testing"), I found that the stock baffle can be turned upside down with the opening at the top and that the charcoal tray can slide over to hold it in place.
I ran a burn test, wood only no lump or briquettes, and it seems to work.
Started with a large fire to quickly heat the cooker set the vent with the firebox door closed but the adjustable vent wide open until the cook chamber got close to 400, then I closed the vent down 50% and left everything alone until the heat went way down.
Pictures show how the baffle can be tilted with ease just by sliding the charcoal bin/grate left and right.
This test was done with the baffle as shown in the first baffle pic and with a water pan on the lower right cook grate.
Probe locations on the digital read out are top right probe is top right readout, top left readout is top left cook grate etc....
I could be wrong, but this "fix" seems to be as close as I've come to evening out the heat.

Here's what I saw.
IMG_1359.jpg
IMG_1360.jpg
IMG_1361.jpg
IMG_1349.jpg
IMG_1353.jpg
IMG_1356.jpg
IMG_1352.jpg

Title thru me for a loop.That was a trippy movie to say the least!

On the smoking side glad to see you've got things working out right on your rig.

Slowly getting it dialed in......Keep this up and it will be as close to a "set and go" as you can get a stick burner!

Jim

Thanks for the good wishes!
I don't mind tending fires but I hate chasing too hot/too cold all over the place, over and over..
I also want to use the center of the lower cook grate without risking burning the meat.
So far, so good.

Reactions: Redicans
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky