Too much cast iron?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Brokenhandle

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 9, 2019
Nw Iowa
With all the great threads going on with CI cooking and my last post about campfire supper it got me thinking...since we haven't been able to go camping with this whole virus thing maybe I should get the cast out of the trailer and check on it's condition, hadn't been used since last fall. Well I don't have an arsenal of smokers but seems we have more cast than I realized so thought I'd share.

This is the CI kept in the house

20200527_153149.jpg

One other reason that motivated me for this post was I found this pan in the cupboard, forgot we had it. It was a gift but never used it, looking for ideas of what to make in it.

20200527_150046.jpg

Almost forgot a couple, no idea where the tiny little pan came from but it's kinda neat, and the pizza pan

20200527_161414.jpg

Then we have the cast that stays in the trailer we take camping, pan on the right is #12 and pan on left is #14

20200527_160133.jpg

The rest of our camping CI, the griddle with wire bail handle usually gets used for a lid for the #14 pan especially when we make fried taters and onions in it. A friend gave it to us, found it at his grandparents farm

20200527_160758.jpg

A Dutch oven given to us by another friend, didn't have a lid...found one on a garage sale with no handle so added the deer antler, not a perfect fit but pretty close. Waffle iron with deep base not used as much since kids are grown. And a tea pot, my wife had to have it...she loves them, so she has this one, a copper one, and a stainless steel one

20200527_164915.jpg

Another pot mom got us that I refinished

20190430_183438.jpg

Before above, and after pic below

20200527_170739.jpg

And finally some project pieces that need refinished. Not a clue where we got this small CI pan. And another waffle maker I bought for $5 in a box among other things. The griswold stove pipe damper was in the box also

20200527_165350.jpg

I think that's it! In case you noticed I put the newspapers down on the counter because I didn't want to clean up the mess from the cast that's used over the fire.

Thanks for looking
Ryan

Very impressive CI set Ryan! It's the most extensive set I've ever seen. That refinishing job looks amazing!
Mike

Love your collection! Curious how you keep the seasoning so smooth when you clean them. I've been tempted to buy one of those chainmail scrubbies.

The pan with the circles looks like a Danish aebelskiver pan which is kind like a fluffy pancake ball, sometimes with apple. They are delicious and you should totally make them if you have that pan!

Last edited:
Love your collection! Curious how you keep the seasoning so smooth when you clean them. I've been tempted to buy one of those chainmail scrubbies.

The pan with the circles looks like a Danish aebelskiver pan which is kind like a fluffy pancake ball, sometimes with apple. They are delicious and you should totally make them if you have that pan!

Was just going to comment also that the pan with the circles looked like an aebleskiver pan. My stepdad used to make those. He used a pancake batter that had fillings with apple, blueberries and cherries. I remember he would turn them over with a wooden stick (kinda looked like a citrus peeler).

I never made them and he passed away a while ago so I don’t know much about them. I bet that pan is still lying around somewhere at my mom’s house.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Very impressive CI set Ryan! It's the most extensive set I've ever seen. That refinishing job looks amazing!
Mike
Thanks Mike, I appreciate it ! I used an angle grinder with a wire brush attachment and then sandpaper. Washed in soap and water, dried, then some grapeseed oil and into the oven @ 350 for 5 hours. Next day another thin coat of grapeseed oil and another 5 hours in the oven.

Ryan

Thanks! Usually just use hot water to rinse them out then dry, a little olive oil and reheat on stove. If anything sticks use a plastic scraper first or a green scratchy pad. If camping put some water in it and back on the fire then same thing, dry it, oil and heat up for a bit.

My wife did say something about some type of pancake type goodies for that pan, will have to do some checking on it.

Ryan

Very nice collection Ryan!!!!

I polish mine with a gator wheel and a flap wheel on the 4 in AG to. Then I do 3 hours at 550 with grape seed oil ( I use the pellet grill so I don’t smoke up the house.

and yup hot water rinse dry then a drop of grape seed and heat till a light smoke. I also have a chain mesh and it works good for a good clean but I always oil and heat till smoke after....

This is my kitchen set, I have another 10 & 14 in the camp box with two 8”, two 10”, two 12”, two 14”, and one 12” dome Dutch’s
image.jpg

I have to admit I’m a little gelly if that collection!

The aebelskiver was a Chairman’s curveball on an Iron Chef episode, but can’t recall what the competitors made in it ... maybe worth trying to find that episode online somewhere.

For cleaning, have heard others recommend using kosher salt and olive oil. Didn’t work great the one time I tried.
I season with flaxseed oil ... pricey but don’t use much, and it smokes at low temp and makes a really good finish.

Wow Ryan. I've put together a pretty nice collection over the past couple years but nothing as extensive as what you've shown. That's impressive sir!! Thanks for sharing. You've given me some ideas for other things to look into for future fun on the grill, that's for sure.

Wow!!
Robert
p.s. too much cast iron? is there really such a thing?

Very nice collection Ryan!!!!

I polish mine with a gator wheel and a flap wheel on the 4 in AG to. Then I do 3 hours at 550 with grape seed oil ( I use the pellet grill so I don’t smoke up the house.

and yup hot water rinse dry then a drop of grape seed and heat till a light smoke. I also have a chain mesh and it works good for a good clean but I always oil and heat till smoke after....

This is my kitchen set, I have another 10 & 14 in the camp box with two 8”, two 10”, two 12”, two 14”, and one 12” dome Dutch’s
View attachment 447337

I have to admit I’m a little gelly if that collection!
Thank you, I appreciate it! You have a nice collection yourself. Will last forever if properly taken care of. Just added up over the years, a piece here, a piece there...for the right price of course!

By the way I love that bowl!!!!
I just did it over the winter, it turned out nice, along with one of the square pans in the house collection...should have seen me chase an egg around that pan, talk about non stick, would have tried just flipping it in the air if I didn't think I would land it on the floor!

Ryan

Reactions: civilsmoker
The aebelskiver was a Chairman’s curveball on an Iron Chef episode, but can’t recall what the competitors made in it ... maybe worth trying to find that episode online somewhere.

For cleaning, have heard others recommend using kosher salt and olive oil. Didn’t work great the one time I tried.
I season with flaxseed oil ... pricey but don’t use much, and it smokes at low temp and makes a really good finish.
Thanks, I'll have to do some checking on them. As far as cleaning, once you get a pan seasoned it should clean up with hot water, sometimes a little scrubbing. Won't get into the correct way to season cast, everyone has their own way...so whatever works best for you, and keeps your pans in good shape. :emoji_thumbsup:

Thanks again
Ryan

Wow Ryan. I've put together a pretty nice collection over the past couple years but nothing as extensive as what you've shown. That's impressive sir!! Thanks for sharing. You've given me some ideas for other things to look into for future fun on the grill, that's for sure.

Wow!!
Robert
p.s. too much cast iron? is there really such a thing?
Thanks Robert! This collection came about over the last 25 years or so a piece here and there. Basically the two sets, one for the house, one for camping and cooking over the fire. And no...you can't have too much cast iron. Anymore I'll only buy it if it's a really good deal. Daughter and sil live in Omaha so they keep there eyes open for deals

Kinda like this

facebook_1588522097851_6662744589106285657_89493589491120.jpg

Only they were 2nd in line for it...would have been a great deal for $5. Maybe next time

Ryan

Too much cast iron? I think not! Awesome collection man. Really like some of that older stuff!
Thanks, I appreciate it! To be honest that's my favorite also. Anymore I just look for deals on older stuff, kinda like in the pic in the reply to Robert, tho I didn't get it. Gives me pride to take an old piece and restore it.

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky