too hot problem

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm having the same high temp issue with a MES, except mine is the 40". I purchased the unit in December 2017. Other than "seasoning" it, today was the first time using it with food. I plugged the unit it and went in side for a few minutes. Returned to retrieve the drip pan and water bowl so I could line them with foil. The power light and display were off, however when I opened the door, the inside was already warming up. I went ahead and turned it on and set the temp to 250. Came back about 30 minutes later and the display was reading 310. I opened the door and the element was bright orange. I turned the unit off, however the element didn't turn off and remained bright orange. The element didn't turn off until I unplugged the unit. I plugged it in again, still powered off and no lights on display, the element started getting orange. I inserted an analog oven thermometer and closed the door. I checked it 30 minutes later and it was reading 300. I called MB this morning shortly after they opened. They are going to send me a new power circuit board, high temp limiter kit, heating element and digital control panel. Hopefully one of these parts fixes the problem. The customer support rep was very nice. Disappointed in the performance of this MES. I recently retired an older MES 30 that I wore out after about 8 years of use.

I'm having the same high temp issue with a MES, except mine is the 40". I purchased the unit in December 2017. Other than "seasoning" it, today was the first time using it with food. I plugged the unit it and went in side for a few minutes. Returned to retrieve the drip pan and water bowl so I could line them with foil. The power light and display were off, however when I opened the door, the inside was already warming up. I went ahead and turned it on and set the temp to 250. Came back about 30 minutes later and the display was reading 310. I opened the door and the element was bright orange. I turned the unit off, however the element didn't turn off and remained bright orange. The element didn't turn off until I unplugged the unit. I plugged it in again, still powered off and no lights on display, the element started getting orange. I inserted an analog oven thermometer and closed the door. I checked it 30 minutes later and it was reading 300. I called MB this morning shortly after they opened. They are going to send me a new power circuit board, high temp limiter kit, heating element and digital control panel. Hopefully one of these parts fixes the problem. The customer support rep was very nice. Disappointed in the performance of this MES. I recently retired an older MES 30 that I wore out after about 8 years of use.
Wow. The element seems good and the safety snap disc seems fine so I'd put in the new controller first, being easier most likely to see if that solves the problem before the circuit board. When your ready to put in the new controller just plug it in first to see if it takes off without programming, then unplug and swap out the controller to see if that fixes it. If that doesn't work, unplug and swap out the circuit board because it appears the SSR is stuck closed.

Reactions: gahunter01
I have the Smokin-it 3D and have not experienced any problems. But it is a more expensive unit so the components are probably of a higher grade.

Wow. The element seems good and the safety snap disc seems fine so I'd put in the new controller first, being easier most likely to see if that solves the problem before the circuit board. When your ready to put in the new controller just plug it in first to see if it takes off without programming, then unplug and swap out the controller to see if that fixes it. If that doesn't work, unplug and swap out the circuit board because it appears the SSR is stuck closed.
Thanks for the advice. I wasn't sure if I should replace one piece at a time or replace all at once. I'll follow up with results once I get the parts and finish swapping them out.

Good on Masterbuilt to fix you up. Chances are the heating element relay is stuck in the closed position, a faulty relay. Or there is a problem telling the control board to heat.
Just carefully change out the parts, and enjoy.
In industry, what you've got is called an infancy failure. Changing the control board should cure what ails ya.

Have you tried putting it on 200F and seeing if it just keeps going up? If it goes all the way to 310F when set at 200F you definitely have a problem, especially if the heat "on" light is off and the temp definitively rises to 310F.

Also you cannot trust the MES smoker or meat probe thermometers. Basically every MES owner buys a wireless Dual Probe (or more probes) digital Thermometer (no analog ones). I often recommend the ThermoPro TP20 but there are a lot out there to choose from that should work for you.

I highly recommend you do a low temp setting and see if the temp climbs to 310F. This will tell whether or not you have large temp swings or something is truly broken allowing the element to never cut off. FYI, my MES had 30-35F temp swings and could never hit 275F so I had the opposite problem... until I rewired and used a 3rd party PID Controller, but you aren't at that point yet :)

Have you tried putting it on 200F and seeing if it just keeps going up? If it goes all the way to 310F when set at 200F you definitely have a problem, especially if the heat "on" light is off and the temp definitively rises to 310F.

Also you cannot trust the MES smoker or meat probe thermometers. Basically every MES owner buys a wireless Dual Probe (or more probes) digital Thermometer (no analog ones). I often recommend the ThermoPro TP20 but there are a lot out there to choose from that should work for you.

I highly recommend you do a low temp setting and see if the temp climbs to 310F. This will tell whether or not you have large temp swings or something is truly broken allowing the element to never cut off. FYI, my MES had 30-35F temp swings and could never hit 275F so I had the opposite problem... until I rewired and used a 3rd party PID Controller, but you aren't at that point yet :)
Yep, I did a low temp setting on the control panel. The “heating” light went off when desired temp was reached, however the element never turned off. I tried it with the Bluetooth app too. On the app, it said heating until the desired temp was reached, then it no longer said heating. However, the element never turned off and the unit temp pegged out at 310, with the element still orange. I’m aware of the temp variances with the MES. My old MES 30 I retired was off by about 20 degrees, but it was consistently off and never fluctuated up and down. I finally wore it out, the temp wouldn’t get above 200 the last time I used it. I upgraded to the 40 only because it has more capacity, bluetooth is nice, but I can do without. Cabelas had the 40 on sale for 1/2 price in December 2017. I have 2 digital thermometers I used with my old MES 30. One probe in the meat and the other on the rack. I’m looking at the one you suggested so I can carry the remote inside and watch for temp spikes. A friend of mine has an MES 30 for about 5 years now and hasn’t had any problems. He uses it quite a bit too. Seems he got lucky and ended up with a good one.

Yep, I did a low temp setting on the control panel. The “heating” light went off when desired temp was reached, however the element never turned off. I tried it with the Bluetooth app too. On the app, it said heating until the desired temp was reached, then it no longer said heating. However, the element never turned off and the unit temp pegged out at 310, with the element still orange. I’m aware of the temp variances with the MES. My old MES 30 I retired was off by about 20 degrees, but it was consistently off and never fluctuated up and down. I finally wore it out, the temp wouldn’t get above 200 the last time I used it. I upgraded to the 40 only because it has more capacity, bluetooth is nice, but I can do without. Cabelas had the 40 on sale for 1/2 price in December 2017. I have 2 digital thermometers I used with my old MES 30. One probe in the meat and the other on the rack. I’m looking at the one you suggested so I can carry the remote inside and watch for temp spikes. A friend of mine has an MES 30 for about 5 years now and hasn’t had any problems. He uses it quite a bit too. Seems he got lucky and ended up with a good one.

My guess is that the Relay/Switch that is told to cut power on/off to the heating element is shorted out in the ON position.
If I believe that Relay/Switch is part of the lower circuit board under the smoker. If Masterbuilt doesn't come through for you let us know.
An Auber PID controller can run you about $150 or so and with a simple rewire of the MES you can have a unit that works way better, more reliably, and as long as you don't burn down the MES you should be able to keep it running until lighting strikes it :)

If the lights on the controller are going on and off correctly, then the ssr is stuck closed in closed circuit and the snap disc is kicking in to cut power to the heating element if the heating light is still on. Then change the circuit board first when you get the parts. I figured the controller. You said just plugging it in and it took off to 310.

Update: FedEx delivered replacement parts on Saturday. Unfortunately they sent me two different types of control panels and did not send the circuit board. Just for giggles, I replaced the control panel. No change. Called MB Monday morning and spoke to Jasmine E who had helped me last week. She put in an order for replacement circuit board and had it shipped same day. I received it today and installed it. Plugged in smoker and no heat from the element with the u it turned off. So far so good. Turned the unit on and set the temp to 200 and 2 hours. As expected, the heat light turned on and started heating. Left the MES meat probe in place and inserted two separate probes I have. One even with the internal heat sensor and another on the top rack. During heat up, the two probes I used were off by about 5 degrees from each other, however they were about 20 degrees warmer than what the MES was reading. The heating light turned off when 200 was reached and this time the element turned off too. When the temp stabilized, the unit was reading 215. My upper probe was at 230 and middle probe was at 225. The MES meat probe was reading 170. I’m familiar with MES displaying inaccurate temps, but as long as it’s consistent, I can adjust the temp setting. I won’t be using the MES meat probe. MB came through and solved my problem and there was very little effort on my part. Their customer service is excellent. Overall I'm pleased with how MB treated my problem and I’m glad everything is working and didn't cost me a dime. Now to throw some meat in it and see how it turns out. Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. You all know a lot more about how these electric smokers work than I do.

Update: FedEx delivered replacement parts on Saturday. Unfortunately they sent me two different types of control panels and did not send the circuit board. Just for giggles, I replaced the control panel. No change. Called MB Monday morning and spoke to Jasmine E who had helped me last week. She put in an order for replacement circuit board and had it shipped same day. I received it today and installed it. Plugged in smoker and no heat from the element with the u it turned off. So far so good. Turned the unit on and set the temp to 200 and 2 hours. As expected, the heat light turned on and started heating. Left the MES meat probe in place and inserted two separate probes I have. One even with the internal heat sensor and another on the top rack. During heat up, the two probes I used were off by about 5 degrees from each other, however they were about 20 degrees warmer than what the MES was reading. The heating light turned off when 200 was reached and this time the element turned off too. When the temp stabilized, the unit was reading 215. My upper probe was at 230 and middle probe was at 225. The MES meat probe was reading 170. I’m familiar with MES displaying inaccurate temps, but as long as it’s consistent, I can adjust the temp setting. I won’t be using the MES meat probe. MB came through and solved my problem and there was very little effort on my part. Their customer service is excellent. Overall I'm pleased with how MB treated my problem and I’m glad everything is working and didn't cost me a dime. Now to throw some meat in it and see how it turns out. Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. You all know a lot more about how these electric smokers work than I do.

That's awesome to hear! Sounds like the relay on the other circuit board was shorted in the ON position. Too bad they don't sell that shorted ON configuration for those who want to use an Auber Plug and PLay pid with the MES :P

Great! People that had app problems when the bluetooth came out where their app was reading 800°F received a rf remote controller that has a great range. They swapped out the Bluetooth and put in the rf remote controllet. I wonder if the other controller they sent is that one that is compatible with the gen 2.5.

Great! People that had app problems when the bluetooth came out where their app was reading 800°F received a rf remote controller that has a great range. They swapped out the Bluetooth and put in the rf remote controllet. I wonder if the other controller they sent is that one that is compatible with the gen 2.5.
The other controller was for a different model MES. It looks like it would have worked on my old MES 30. The bag the one of the right came in didn't have any part numbers. I’ll try to add a picture. The one on left fits my 40. I’ve got a friend with an MES 30, so I am going let him try it and keep it if it fits.
IMG_1376.JPG

Hi...we had the same problem with getting too hot using the bluetooth...masterbuilt sent us a new control panel.this didn't solve the problem.We have come to the conclusion that when we received a text message or call interrupting the signal,this is when the temp began to spike. I notified support of this and they said this doesn't happen.we have used it without bluetooth and it works perfectly.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky