Tomahawk with a test rub

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wbf610

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 23, 2016
Near Allentown, PA
It’s been a while since i’ve posted a cook, or even smoked something. Life got in the way the last few months.

Anyway. I was offered an opputinity to test a new savory rub from bvbull200 bvbull200

What better way to test than a 3lb tomahawk. Aslo pictured is the test rub as it was shipped to me.
207AFB34-425D-445F-8819-33DC9F3E1BFE.jpeg

The cook plan, what else, reverse sear over a little apple, but mainly hickory. I put a light rub on one side, rested for 1/2 hour, flipped, rubbed the other side, and rested another 1/2 hour.
0C13A93D-98B8-4AD9-B8B7-F69FBB0F0DDA.jpeg

Got the smoker running and stable at 250, and put it on. Plan was to take it to 110IT, then sear. However, the wife was apparently starving to death and wanted to eat sooner than planned. It was on the smoke for about 45 minutes, then to the sear. The inkbird did well monitoring this cook.
87258CB6-DA6F-45FF-9CBC-EE13DC60CAC5.jpeg

Just off the smoke:
B3C4ED58-6D20-4758-A9A5-1A72793348AF.jpeg

Even though it was only smoked for 45 minutes, the flavor was outstanding.

After searing to medium rare in the middle and a ten minute rest, the ends were medium, and the middle was perfect. Extra sear on this one as IT was only 75-80 when i started the sear.
AFC21A2A-F672-4587-A391-49FFC41908D3.jpeg

Slice through the outer quarter, looks more done than it was:
4AFFBEC2-ED81-4F5F-9A3D-A5DFFA931268.jpeg

The rub was delicious. I can’t quite put my finger on what made it so, but it was a lot more flavorful than my typical SPG rub. Wife and kid cleaned up their plates, and only a few small slices remain for a snack tomorrow.

Thanks for looking!

Got a Tomahawk in the freezer. Haven't been sure how I want to cook it up. I'm thinking your smoke and reverse sear is the way to go.

Looks really good

Got a Tomahawk in the freezer. Haven't been sure how I want to cook it up. I'm thinking your smoke and reverse sear is the way to go.

Looks really good
Thanks. I don’t cook them any other way now. I can’t cook steak on a gasser anymore. So much more flavor with the smoke, and seared over charcoal.

Reactions: ksblazer
I think that's a perfect color and sear on that steak. I wish tomahawks were more readily available around here as it looks mighty tasty.

Point for sure
Chris

Looks like you nailed it. Gotta love the Inkbird, got it stuffed in a corned beef briskets as we speak.
I am envious, No Costco or Sam's in my area.:emoji_disappointed:

Looks like you nailed it. Gotta love the Inkbird, got it stuffed in a corned beef briskets as we speak.
I am envious, No Costco or Sam's in my area.:emoji_disappointed:
I tried talking the wife into one for today, but she despises pastrami for some reason. The smallest i could find was 4 pounds, and I wasn’t going to eat all of it by myself.

Make sure to share your cook.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky