To sear or not to sear, that is the question.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I ended up not searing the flat I'd discussed in this post but did later find a whole Packers cut brisket and did try the searing method on that one. I have to say that I thought that the seared brisket tasted way better! It had a great beefy charry flavor. From now on I will always get a packers cut (seal up the leftovers) and I will always sear first. It was awsome!

Dave

Glad you enjoyed it Dave!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Well I did the test and the non-seared tasted better. The rub formed a nicer crust and it had a better smoke ring.

I'm a non-searer from now on. Mind you I like sear on the steak, just not on the brisket/shoulder/etc.

Good Smokin'

Michael

yesterdays 12.5# brisket was cut in half-to fit in the smoker-I seared but not as hard as I did in the throwdown with sumosmoke-that 1 I rubbed than seared-this 1 I seared than rubbed-let sit a couple hrs. than smoke-finished in the oven last few hrs.was my best so far!!!will be my way from now on. Thanks Rich for turning me onto the sear-than rub.

Alton Browns episode was about a rib eye steak. We're talking briskets here. HUGE difference in the searing and what is being accomplished. Alton seared for just a little bit. here were talking about searing it so severely it looks ruined

I've been thinking about this but...

How long do you put on the rub for before cooking again?

Can you elaborate on what you do to prep. the brisket and prepare it?

Thanks!

Michael

I did my first Brisket yesterday, Whole Packer from Walmart 13.7lbs. Used the Smokyokie method, seared all sides, then threw in a pan in the smoker fat side up between 245 and 260 for 2 hrs flipped for 1 hr, then foiled BUT the brisket came up to 205* 3.5 hrs into the foil. Has anyone had this happen? I did not trim the brisket at all prior, and it had a thick maybe 1 inch fat cap. The brisket is tender, but sliced just fine. My only complaint is that it seemed a little dry through the flat. Any suggestions or thoughts on the quick finish? I mean 6.5 hrs for 205* on a 14 lb brisket??? should I back the heat off to 225?

I didn't get as much juice as others seem to get.

So I decided to make a variation to the lone steer finishing sauce. I mixed the juice with the below and simmered un covered for 45 minutes.

I should add, it's delicious!

1.5 cups ketchup
.5 cup Jack Daniels
2 limes squeezed
2 lemons squeezed
.5 cup brown sugar
2 tsp onion powder
1 tbsp Paprika
1tsp red pepper flake

@Closer

What Richtee says and maybe more. The temps are what I would consider just a fuzz high, that could have alot to do with the time and dryness. Did you foil and allow to rest after the cook? This gives the meat a chance to reclaim some of the moisture that was driven off during the cooking. Ain't no shame if it is a bit tough and or dry as long as it taste good, slice it thinner and serve with plenty of Au jus or other gravey concoction!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Zapper you're right as long as it tastes good I don't care!

I did tent foil it for 1.5 to 2 hrs rest before slicing. I have read many posts regarding wrapping and putting in a cooler, should I be doing this? What is the benfit, also I plan on doing my first Boston Butt 13 lbs next weekend, should I cooler this or just tent foil after cooking?

My take on foiling is to foil usually somewhere around 160 or so, depending on when I catch it as I mop or otherwise tend to things. (No real hard number) My take on foiling is pretty much a complete, sealed, wrap. But... as soon as I stab the thermo into it .... Anyhow if I am using a mop or have something on hand, I add a cup or so of liquid to the foiled meat and let it cook to what ever finished temp that I am shooting for (190 ish depending). Then, very carefully, (Because things always seem to leak for me) I bundle it in a towel or two and set aside in a cooler or add an extera towel or two to that and leave on a table or counter depending on cooler availability or counter space. Some folks have pretty good luck with foil pans or regular pans and then a tight foil seal over the top, I am gonna try this sometime. The point or effect of foiling and adding liquid is almost steaming the meat right at the end of the cooking. There is one trade off though, your bark crunch can turn to a bark chew or a bark mush. I have tried to reheat or dry out the bark after a foil finish with no luck. I mean that it is still tastie as ever, but it will be a little on the limp side.

To be honest, I don't have a set, step by step, of doing anything. There are just too many variables. Now, if I were doing one of the same every weekend or more every day for a restraunt, I would be more concerned about establishing a set of step by steps to follow. Otherwise keep trying different stuff and remember what YOU like and try things that you think you might like to change.

I've smoked with and without aluminum pans. The meats (Butt & Whole chickens) came out nice both ways. I've yet to sear or wrap a butt, and with my successes I don't plan on it anytime soon.

Marinating overnight (in a sealed baggie) seems to do the trick for me. Mustard & a rub for pork, Mayo and a rub for chicken. Sausages get tossed in about 3 hours before the butt or chicken are done.
PDT_Armataz_01_29.gif

I used a not too sweet local rub. Left it in a plastic bag for 2 days. Then I ground up some black peppercorns in the coffee grinder and coated the whole thing. Proceeded to burn the crap out of it on the charcoal grill. 2 hrs in the alum pan fat side up in the smoker. 1 hr fat side down. 3 hrs wrapped up tight in the oven at 250. Unbelievable au jus! This was no doubt the best brisket I ever made. BTW, I used a whole 10lb packer with about 4lb cut off the flat end. I used that 4lb piece to make a killer pastrami.

2 Questions:

1) How long did it take to sear (guesstimate) to get it to burn?
2) Why did you make pastrami (I love it personally)? Just curious
2 a.) How did you make the pastrami?

Thanks!

Michael

1) How long did it take to sear (guesstimate) to get it to burn?
It took about 15-20 minutes. I used a chimney of chunk hardwood charcoal. I only got flames on one side but it was still black on both sides.
2) Why did you make pastrami (I love it personally)? Just curious
I like corned beef and wanted to try it. No regrets at all.
2 a.) How did you make the pastrami?
I used the recipe in http://www.amazon.com/Charcuterie-Cr...9591235&sr=8-1

Some changes I would make: I would make sure I trim most of the fat off the flat (leave @ 1/4"). Then, I would brine for 4 days instead of three. I still had a 3/8" gray area in the middle after a three day brine. Also, I would grind the peppercorns and coriander seed separately due to thier different sizes. I may also add some juniper berries. When I rinse the meat after brining it, I would then coat the meat with the spices and then leave it in the fridge uncovered overnight to develop a pecille.

seared my brisket tonight. i do it ocassionally but not to blacened point. just enough to make a skin on the meat. well see how this one turnes out. i dont like it to black. and foil after it bets to barking.
PDT_Armataz_01_18.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky