To sear or not to sear, that is the question.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Mark -

Sounds like the way my Mama did all big beef meats. She Seared and then they went into a dutch oven in the oven - sometimes on top of the stove. Best part was the gallons of gravy and bisquits!

You're right... I'm in Georgia. I'm willing to expand my horizons though.
icon_mrgreen.gif
Most of my drama about beef bbq was actually in humor... but I really haven't been exposed to good bbq beef. I love the briskets I've done in my oven though, so I can't wait to try this. Gives me a use for my Weber Kettle which hasn't been used for anything but a stand for my starter chimneys since I got the smoker.
icon_mrgreen.gif

And yes, most joints around here only offer the options of inside, outside, sliced or chopped/pulled.

There is no question about, sear and Okie Dokie Smokie Okie Method. OMG!

Beyond heaven. I don't think I'll ever smoke any other piece of meat. My goodddnnnesss. Dats sum good eating.

Just finish a 12 pounder using the Smokie Okie Method. had a little taste, my, my, my.

I did my first without seering over this past weekend and it turned out awesome. Until I run into a proplem I believe I will continue to not seer at this time. I am not against the seering but if it's not broken don't fix it.
icon_lol.gif

True, but how about talking yourself into, "If it is good now, maybe I can improve on it..."
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I think I know where he is coming from. I tried the searing also recently and liked it. I don't know that it was better or worse, just different. I will keep it mind for a change of pace from time to time, but probably won't sear on a regular basis just on personal preference.

Now if I though the searing was just hands down better, then I would sear the majority of the time..........to sear or not to sear.........who cares, do what you like. LOL

Its really not about sealing in the juices, its more about generating that deep beefy seared flavor like you get out of a good steak. The more sear you get, the more flavor you get. By preheating the meat, you also reduce total cooking time.

That makes a lot of sense to me, and as usual I will gladly bow to the master! People rave about my briskets now and I owe it all to your advice.

BTW Okie, have you noticed the new fella who just signed into roll call as Smokin Okie? Man that could get confusing..
NavionJim

Navionjim
I agree with everything in your last post, I also owe it to SmokyOkie for helping me smoke the best peice of brisket due to the high flaming sear.

Also agree that it is going to be confusing with 2 talented smokers, one going by SmokyOkie and the other going by SmokinOkie !!!

I think I know the answer to my own question but just want to run it by the pros.....Is a brisket labled "Whole Brisket" the same as a "Packer's Cut"?
I have not found anyone in Omaha selling Packers, but at the Bag and Save and Sam's Club they have Whole. It sure doesn't look like anything was trimmed off, but I had to ask. I plan to try the searing method as the burny charred flavor is one of my favorite parts of grilling/smoking.

Thanks in advance.
Dave

Dave,

A packer brisket will be the entire brisket consisting of the flat and the point. I don't recall seeing one labeled "whole brisket", but I would expect it to be the same.

If it has a big hump on one end and the other is much thinner and its about 18" long or longer, then it prolly is a packer trim. If it weighs more than 6# then it prolly is a PT

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky