Brisket - to slather or not to slather? That is the question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Daba's BBQ

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 24, 2021
Metro NYC
I will be smoking a gorgeous 12-pound brisket for Father's Day next weekend. I've made a kick-ass rub that I've used before and the brisket came out perfect (see attached pics). I've read a few articles about using a simple yellow mustard slather prior to adding the rub and wanted to get the group's thoughts on this method?

I would think that a slather would not let the rub adhere to the meat, therefore not providing the deep bark that I am looking for in my cook.

BTW - I usually add some beef tallow & wrap my brisket in butcher paper post-stall, and cook it that way for the remainder of the cook prior to placing it in my cooler or oven to rest.

Any suggestions and feedback would be appreciated

Peace.

Attachments

• 20210704_075651.jpg
    20210704_075651.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 20210704_075602.jpg
    20210704_075602.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 32
  • BrisketEndResults.jpg
    BrisketEndResults.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 34
Hmmm two schools of thought. First one, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Second one, always fun to try something new. Personally I use mustard on pork for a binder and on beef I use olive oil.

Reactions: chopsaw
What smoker are you using? If you are going stick burner then my opinion is no binder needed but I may do mine differently than you. I don't use a binder but I also don't wrap. The bark is always great. If I use gas or electric I might use some mustard to aid in bark development. Just my .02. I am sure it will be great if you get anything close to the pics you posted. That one looks awesome.

What smoker are you using? If you are going stick burner then my opinion is no binder needed but I may do mine differently than you. I don't use a binder but I also don't wrap. The bark is always great. If I use gas or electric I might use some mustard to aid in bark development. Just my .02. I am sure it will be great if you get anything close to the pics you posted. That one looks awesome.
Thanks. I own a Traeger Pro Series 34

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.
If I do, it's mustard on pork and oil on beef.

Most of the time I rub without, wrap in plastic wrap and let it brine overnight in the fridge..
And add more rub in the am before going on the smoker.

Preferred rub for brisket is a traditional Dalmatian rub, i.e. coarse salt and fresh cracked pepper.

Last edited:
I usually inject and then rub some on the meat and use as a binder. Otherwise, no binder for brisket here.

Keith

After I have gotten my coals well lit and have the fire going in my pit while waiting for the temps to stabilize, I trim the brisket. Now, I'm not the quickest at that, so the meat begins to warm up and the wonderful scientific processes happen that start bringing out juices and condensation. That is all you need. Nice amount of rub and rub it on.

Here is an example.

IMG_0472.JPG

Reactions: TaoJones
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky