• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

To inject or not to inject....

smokingn00b

Fire Starter
Joined Mar 31, 2006
So I've done 2 shoulders before and they both turned out quite well. I used the recipe from the "Pulled Pork Recipe for all" thread and enjoyed it. Over the weekend however I was watching the food network and their special on "Memphis in May" and saw Chris Lilly injecting his shoulders. I found a recipe of his for both rub and injection and I will probably give it a shot this weekend. My question is, who here prefers to inject and what are the pros and cons of injecting? The previous recipe I used had the pork brine for a day or so. Is the injection a quicker way of brining? Just trying to learn something new. If I do smoke I will make sure to post some pics because we all love pics!

larry maddock

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 27, 2005
yo,
im interested in hearing your results on injecting.

aint this place great

Dutch

Smoking Guru
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Joined Jul 7, 2005
smokingn00b, with proper injecting, you can get a deeper, more even distribution of the brine solution into the meat that would normally take a multi-day (2-3) immersion in brine. Over night brining on large pieces of meat like a butt only penitrates part way into the meat. In compitions, you have the benefit of a brined product where preperation time is limited.

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.