To inject or not to inject....

Discussion in 'Pork' started by smokingn00b, Jun 6, 2006.

1. smokingn00b

smokingn00b Fire Starter

So I've done 2 shoulders before and they both turned out quite well. I used the recipe from the "Pulled Pork Recipe for all" thread and enjoyed it. Over the weekend however I was watching the food network and their special on "Memphis in May" and saw Chris Lilly injecting his shoulders. I found a recipe of his for both rub and injection and I will probably give it a shot this weekend. My question is, who here prefers to inject and what are the pros and cons of injecting? The previous recipe I used had the pork brine for a day or so. Is the injection a quicker way of brining? Just trying to learn something new. If I do smoke I will make sure to post some pics because we all love pics!

2. larry maddock

larry maddock Master of the Pit OTBS Member

yo,
    im interested in hearing your results on injecting.

aint this place great

3. dutch

dutch Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

smokingn00b, with proper injecting, you can get a deeper, more even distribution of the brine solution into the meat that would normally take a multi-day (2-3) immersion in brine. Over night brining on large pieces of meat like a butt only penitrates part way into the meat. In compitions, you have the benefit of a brined product where preperation time is limited.