To inject or not to inject....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokingn00b

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 31, 2006
Kenosha, WI
So I've done 2 shoulders before and they both turned out quite well. I used the recipe from the "Pulled Pork Recipe for all" thread and enjoyed it. Over the weekend however I was watching the food network and their special on "Memphis in May" and saw Chris Lilly injecting his shoulders. I found a recipe of his for both rub and injection and I will probably give it a shot this weekend. My question is, who here prefers to inject and what are the pros and cons of injecting? The previous recipe I used had the pork brine for a day or so. Is the injection a quicker way of brining? Just trying to learn something new. If I do smoke I will make sure to post some pics because we all love pics!

smokingn00b, with proper injecting, you can get a deeper, more even distribution of the brine solution into the meat that would normally take a multi-day (2-3) immersion in brine. Over night brining on large pieces of meat like a butt only penitrates part way into the meat. In compitions, you have the benefit of a brined product where preperation time is limited.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky