Time For A Steak: Blackened Porterhouse (W / Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Been doing a lot of different types of meals recently and decided it was time for a good ol' steak. Got a 1 1/2 pound Porterhouse out of the freezer and set about putting together some other things as it was defrosting.

When I make bacon I run the "scraps" through the food processor and chop them into crumbles. They are vac sealed and frozen then when we need bacon bits I fry up a couple pounds, drain, and put in the fridge so we have bacon bits.
001_Fotogenic.jpg

Our friend David ( DRKsmoking DRKsmoking ) has been doing some interesting stuff with taters recently so thought I'd mix things up a bit. Homemade garlic mashed taters with diced jalapeno, bacon bits, and cheddar cheese. Kind of mess in the bowl though.
003_Fotogenic.jpg

Mix it all up and into a CI skillet then more cheese on top with some GBP
004_Fotogenic.jpg

The steak. 1 pound 8 ounce Porterhouse
005_Fotogenic.jpg

A nice dose of my recently created dirt rub
006_Fotogenic.jpg

Mashed tater casserole on the grill
007_Fotogenic.jpg

Steak on the grill over the sear burner. Medium heat so running about 800 degrees
009_Fotogenic.jpg

Steak all done. Got a nice char on it
011_Fotogenic.jpg

Taters all done. Man I like the way these look.
012_Fotogenic.jpg

Steak and taters plated with a basic salad
014_Fotogenic.jpg

Money shot
015_Fotogenic.jpg

Recently I've done Mexican, Italian, German, smoked brisket, and it was time to get back to basics. Hard to beat a big ol steak and some taters. We loved the steak but that mashed potato casserole was to die for. Absolutely outstanding and the star of the show. I say that only because we are accustomed to the steaks but this was a whole new approach to doing potatoes and we both loved it. Not gonna be the last time I do it this way, that's for sure. Actually we are looking forward to having friends over and sharing this with them. All in all another quick but gratifying meal. I'll take those almost any day.

Well y'all take care, stay safe, and be well. I have no clue what may be up my sleeve for the next few days but hopefully I can come up with something interesting.

Robert

Oh hell yeah Robert that is an absolutely beautiful steak man! Perfect char and nice pink center. I mean hard to beat that. And the tater casserole looks delicious! You nailed that meal my friend!

Man I'm with you on time to have a steak . I'm way over due .
Great looking meal . I like that bacon trick .

You nailed it again! Love them taters for sure! Steak looks perfect as well!

Ryan

Robert nice to mention me .
But its all you my friend , that is a great looking cast iron pan of goodness.

And of coarse the steak. Nothing else to say , but we all know you enjoyed that plate of fine food

David

Holy Moly that looks good. Perfectly cooked steak and 'to die for' taters!
Love the way you present your cooks, Robert.

Crushed it! That looked insane! Everything was perfect, but you got me excited to make an attempt at those potatoes. Thank you for sharing!

Hell Yeah! Great meal! Beautiful steak and the tators look fantabulous! Dirt rub eh? You post that recipe somewhere? I must have missed it. Looks interesting...

Nailed the med/rare on that steak. I love the CI Cheesy Taters! I just happen to have a pack of some totally awesome Texas Bacon a friend sent.😉...JJ

Hell Yeah! Great meal! Beautiful steak and the tators look fantabulous! Dirt rub eh? You post that recipe somewhere? I must have missed it. Looks interesting...

Here you go...JJ

Here you go...JJ

Yup, that's good stuff. But, I believe Robert, being the mad scientist that he is, created his own after using Nat the cat. I use Nat on steaks and burgers. Adds a great flavor.

Robert, that steak looks phenomenal, cooked perfectly for our tastes. And those potatoes, what's not to love about those??

Charles

Ain’t nothing wrong with that plate! I love steak and potatoes. Your twist on it is as usual excellent.
Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky