Time For A Steak: Blackened Porterhouse (W / Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nothing much to say other than that is a fantastic looking meal!
I make lardon’s with the extra bacon scraps, but next time I will make some bacon bits too, cause those taters sure look good!
Al

Yup, that's good stuff. But, I believe Robert, being the mad scientist that he is, created his own after using Nat the cat. I use Nat on steaks and burgers. Adds a great flavor.

You may be right. I remember talking about the use and flavor of Activated Charcoal with someone. May have been Robert...JJ

Great job on everything. Is that seasoning a charcoal rub similar to hardcore carnivore black? I have been tempted to try it.

Oh hell yeah Robert that is an absolutely beautiful steak man! Perfect char and nice pink center

Thanks john!! I'm liking that dirt rub and a good instant read therm is a must-have. Takes the guess workout of things.

Man I'm with you on time to have a steak . I'm way over due

Go for it Chop!! A good steak is top of the food chain around here.

Looks delicious as usual Robert

Thanks you Jake. Wanna trade a steak for a couple of those pulled beef sandwiches?? :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Fantastic looking Steak, Robert !!
I love the whole plate too!!
Nice Job!

Thank you Bear. The kind words are appreciated sir.

You nailed it again! Love them taters for sure! Steak looks perfect as well!

Appreciate it Ryan, and yes, those taters were excellent. Our new go-to way to prepare them, that's for sure.

But its all you my friend , that is a great looking cast iron pan of goodness

Your humbleness is noted but honestly David, you've dome some amazing looking side dishes with taters and you got me thinking outside the box a bit. Being that there are only 2 of us though, some of the cool things you've done would be extreme overkill if I were to make them.

Robert

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Daaamnnn! Fantastic meal bud! I love how that steak came out. And those taters are amazing.

Thanks Steve!! Give those taters a shot. they came out really well my friend.

Holy Moly that looks good. Perfectly cooked steak and 'to die for' taters!
Love the way you present your cooks, Robert.

Very much appreciate the kind words Colin. I don't typically shoot for presentation but when something comes out looking good I take pics of it.

Crushed it! That looked insane! Everything was perfect, but you got me excited to make an attempt at those potatoes. Thank you for sharing!

Thank you JW. For another 15 minute meal I was happy with it, especially the tater casserole. that was outstanding.

Robert

Nice steak but those taters are off the chart! Going to have to work those in.

Appreciate it Brian. you seem to be able to keep yourself busy cooking so the taters might make it into the rotation some time. You'll love them.

Beautiful steak and the tators look fantabulous! Dirt rub eh? You post that recipe somewhere? I must have missed it.

Thanks Keith. I did post the recipe in a previous thread but here ya go:

3 T Chili powder
3 T Activated charcoal
3 T Smoked paprika
2 T Garlic powder
1 T Onion powder
2 t Oregano
1 t Rosemary (crushed finely or run gently in a spice grinder)
1 t Cayenne
2 t Black pepper
1 ½ T Coriander
1 t White pepper
1 ½ T Cumin
2 t Ground coffee

Please note that there is no salt in this. It was created with a forum friend in mind who has a family member with issues with salt. I'm OK without salt but Tracy likes to sprinkle a little on her meal after plating, which is fine. Of course you can add the salt to the mix if you want.

Nailed the med/rare on that steak. I love the CI Cheesy Taters! I just happen to have a pack of some totally awesome Texas Bacon a friend sent.

Hmmm...wonder where that bacon may have come from. Just so happens I have 36 pounds curing now that will get smoked this weekend. Oh Jimmy...got a Q for you. Have you been able to locate the top round for the Rouladens? If not, shoot me a PM. I might be able to help

Robert

Reactions: chef jimmyj
But, I believe Robert, being the mad scientist that he is, created his own after using Nat the cat.

You are correct sir. Recipe posted above. The one I put together has considerable more flavor, depth, and richness to it.

brilliant! I'm stealing that idea. And great looking meal too.

Hard to steal what's freely given :emoji_wink: I used to chop the daylights out of the "scraps" with a chef's knife but man oh man that was a lot of work. Then thought about the food processor and it works great. Much aster and a whole lot easier.

Robert, that steak looks phenomenal, cooked perfectly for our tastes. And those potatoes, what's not to love about those??

Thank you Charles. I appreciate the kind words.

Robert

Pass me a plate Robert, those potatoes look killer too!

Thanks Joe!! Come on down buddy. I;ll pass you a couple of plates. Here in the next month or so you might be ready for some warmer weather :emoji_wink:

That meal looks fantastic Robert, ya keep out doing yourself

Thanks so much Jim but this one hardly out does anything. Was just another quick meal that filled the void and scratched the itch for a steak.

Ain’t nothing wrong with that plate! I love steak and potatoes.

Thanks Jim!! Steak and taters is a food group in and of itself in my world :emoji_laughing:

Roebrt

Great job on everything. Is that seasoning a charcoal rub similar to hardcore carnivore black?

Yes sir it is. The recipe for mine is posted a couple of replies back if you'd like to take a look at it and thank you for the kind words

Another find meal by the back yard BBQ co. I surely would pull up a chair for that meal. Great Job Robert

Thanks so much Warren. Pack up that lovely wife of yours and come on down. I can promise there will be chairs available at the table...as well as lots of good beef :emoji_wink:

Doesn't get any better than that Robert, done to perfection! RAY

Thank you mt friend. Maybe some good yard bird on the Weber would out-do a steak today. Steak is a regular thing. Chicken on the other hand is a rarity.

Robert

Nothing much to say other than that is a fantastic looking meal!
I make lardon’s with the extra bacon scraps, but next time I will make some bacon bits too, cause those taters sure look good!

Thank you Al. We use bacon bits on a LOT of things. Soups, salads, bacon cheese burger pizza, etc...tone of things to use them with.

Nice work Robert, a good "Steak and Taters" rules in my book!

I couldn't agree more and thank you.

You may be right. I remember talking about the use and flavor of Activated Charcoal with someone

Yes sir. The recipe is posted a few replies back if you're interested in taking a look at it.

Robert

Oh, man.... That Porterhouse looks fantastic! Cooked the way I like it.... The dish looks nice! My son is coming this weekend (fingers crossed) so my plan is 2 ponder NY stake for each - me and my son... I am already craving for that! Oh, yeah - thank you for sharing your dirt rub recipe. I must be missed it when you originally post it....

Been doing a lot of different types of meals recently and decided it was time for a good ol' steak. Got a 1 1/2 pound Porterhouse out of the freezer and set about putting together some other things as it was defrosting.

When I make bacon I run the "scraps" through the food processor and chop them into crumbles. They are vac sealed and frozen then when we need bacon bits I fry up a couple pounds, drain, and put in the fridge so we have bacon bits.
View attachment 514730

Our friend David ( DRKsmoking DRKsmoking ) has been doing some interesting stuff with taters recently so thought I'd mix things up a bit. Homemade garlic mashed taters with diced jalapeno, bacon bits, and cheddar cheese. Kind of mess in the bowl though.
View attachment 514731

Mix it all up and into a CI skillet then more cheese on top with some GBP
View attachment 514732

The steak. 1 pound 8 ounce Porterhouse
View attachment 514733

A nice dose of my recently created dirt rub
View attachment 514734

Mashed tater casserole on the grill
View attachment 514735

Steak on the grill over the sear burner. Medium heat so running about 800 degrees
View attachment 514736

Steak all done. Got a nice char on it
View attachment 514737

Taters all done. Man I like the way these look.
View attachment 514738

Steak and taters plated with a basic salad
View attachment 514739

Money shot
View attachment 514740

Recently I've done Mexican, Italian, German, smoked brisket, and it was time to get back to basics. Hard to beat a big ol steak and some taters. We loved the steak but that mashed potato casserole was to die for. Absolutely outstanding and the star of the show. I say that only because we are accustomed to the steaks but this was a whole new approach to doing potatoes and we both loved it. Not gonna be the last time I do it this way, that's for sure. Actually we are looking forward to having friends over and sharing this with them. All in all another quick but gratifying meal. I'll take those almost any day.

Well y'all take care, stay safe, and be well. I have no clue what may be up my sleeve for the next few days but hopefully I can come up with something interesting.

Robert
My goodness! You are just awesome at what you do! Great job SMF Nerd!

Your humbleness is noted but honestly David, you've dome some amazing looking side dishes with taters and you got me thinking outside the box a bit. Being that there are only 2 of us though, some of the cool things you've done would be extreme overkill if I were to make them.

Robert

Thanks Robert, I will take that, and I'm watching you on the meats and blending your stuff in my mind.
Also same here only the 2 of us. That's why when Mona's family come out I go a little crazy with the amounts of food. Because I know her Mom like to take home a doggy bay

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky