TIJUANA HOT LINKS AKA JALAPENO SAUSAGE

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Goodness gracious! By far my favorite sausage so far. I might just have to give this a smoke tomorrow. Got one more day of vacation left.. woulb be the perfect night cap to a great vacation!

The Recipe looks great. I have done this before when I have had more meat than Casing. They come together easily and do make for a nice Party Food presentation...JJ

I have a question...is the Pink Salt needed since your not cold smoking these? 
I would say that if from start to finish (mixing-final IT) if you can get from 40-140 in 4 hour rule it wouldn't be any different than any of the other fresh sausages that are made without cure.

Pick me up first, I'll bring the hand truck and we'll just take the fridge
bluesbros.gif
biggrin.gif

Looks great, our garden is loaded with all sorts of peppers, saving your recipe!

Dan

Looks great Chef Willie! Since I am going to be in Canby I will be stopping by on Saturday to pick up my share
laugh1.gif
These are going on my to do list!!

Thanks!
You're welcome....was fun to do actually. They are VERY hot though so be careful....maybe split the batch.

Hey, if I'm not here the garage is usually open with the extra fridge holding the goodies. 'Fire in the hole' time with these, buddy

I have a question...is the Pink Salt needed since your not cold smoking these? 
Probably not, especially if you'll hot smoke them. I knew I wasn't going to be able to get them into the smoker until the 3rd day due to working so decided 'maybe I better, just to be safe'. I've also seen where more seasoned sausage makers than I add the cure to help with color retention so factored that in as well.

Im thinking of making a batch of these for father's day.. he loves Texas Links. And I have a batch of cheese from a few weeks ago. My question to y'all is if I make 5lbs worth.. what's the best storage for left overs (small fam). Vacuum seal and freeze or just fridge? If so should I leave the husk on when vacpac? I also do not have pink salt.. TQ will do the same? I havent messed around with cures to much. I did a batch of SS once.
Thanks
Mike

Im thinking of making a batch of these for father's day.. he loves Texas Links. And I have a batch of cheese from a few weeks ago. My question to y'all is if I make 5lbs worth.. what's the best storage for left overs (small fam). Vacuum seal and freeze or just fridge? With the cure they will easily last 7-10 days in zip top bags in the refer. If you won't eat them in that time the vac-pac and freeze.  If so should I leave the husk on when vacpac? Remove the husks to freeze, you will get more in the bags and have an easier time sealing.  I also do not have pink salt.. TQ will do the same? Yes TQ will be fine use 7.5 tsp for 5 Lbs (1.5 tsp/Lb) of meat...BUT...Leave out the 3 tsp of Salt called for in the recipe. TQ has a lot of salt and will do the job. You can always fry a test patty and add more salt if you want.   I havent messed around with cures to much. I did a batch of SS once.
Thanks  Have Fun...JJ
Mike

Probably not, especially if you'll hot smoke them. I knew I wasn't going to be able to get them into the smoker until the 3rd day due to working so decided 'maybe I better, just to be safe'. I've also seen where more seasoned sausage makers than I add the cure to help with color retention so factored that in as well.
Thanks! Just wanted to make sure i wasn't missing something, haven't made the leap into sausage yet:)

Made these a few times. Great to take hunting cuz you can leave the husk in the woods and it will compost.

drool.gif

Chef, are these the dried corn husks i see in the Mexican section of the store?  I love hot stuff so i'll try this as well. Never used husks but there's always a first time. Great looking stuff!!. Reinhard

Chef, are these the dried corn husks i see in the Mexican section of the store?  I love hot stuff so i'll try this as well. Never used husks but there's always a first time. Great looking stuff!!. Reinhard
If CW dont mind i will answer for him

Yes

Did a 5# batch yesterday. They were great. THANKS CW amd JJ.. I did cut back to 4 whole peppers.. still had a kick.. but overall they were a hit with the pops.. and my bar regulars. . Sorry no pics.. but I followed everything except I used TQ.. and thr 4 vs 6 japs..
Thaks again. .
Mike

Did a 5# batch yesterday. They were great. THANKS CW amd JJ.. I did cut back to 4 whole peppers.. still had a kick.. but overall they were a hit with the pops.. and my bar regulars. . Sorry no pics.. but I followed everything except I used TQ.. and thr 4 vs 6 japs..
Thaks again. .
Mike
xlnt......glad Pops & the bar regulars liked them. I use the bar cronies as guinea pigs...lol.....especially on hot stuff....gawd bless 'em.....LMAO

My 'cronies' have gotten use to the heat.. but these links had a kick of thier own. Can wait todo another batch. They ccooked up way faster than I thought. On the UDS @ 225* (spiked to 290*) for just a few. Maybe total time about 1 1/2..?

I assume you soak the husks before rolling?

I have the mix in the fridge now and will be "stuffing the husks" tonight.

O wow that did NOT sound right did it? 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky