• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

tieing the summer sausage

dannylang

Master of the Pit
Joined Sep 19, 2014
how do you tightly tie the bag, when you fill it? my calogen casing are 1 1/2 x 12 and 2 1/2 x 20, i have cut the larger bags in half, because to long for smoker.

dannylang

highlife4me

Fire Starter
Joined Dec 23, 2014
I usually use hog rings for summer sausage but when I do have to tie with twine I use a double overhand knot. It can be a bit tricky if tieing by yourself though, could try a slipknot then you could tighten with one hand while holding the twisted casing with the other hand.

kawboy

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 20, 2015
When I'm by myself, I use twist ties like the ones from a loaf of bread.

dannylang

Master of the Pit
Joined Sep 19, 2014
where do i buy a hog ring pliers and hog rings, Lowes or do i have to order 1.

dannylang

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 4, 2012
Places like cabelas have the pliers and hog rings. The last batch we did I used plastic zip ties. Which you can buy from any hardware store. Just as a safety precaution (wasn't sure how the ties would hold up to heat) I also tied with butchers twine. The zip ties made it easy to close tight and they held up to the heat just fine.

Last edited:

dannylang

Master of the Pit
Joined Sep 19, 2014
thats a great idea with zip ties, is there a size of hog rings that work better than others? i think i like the zip tie, im have plenty of those.

dannylang

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 4, 2014
thats a great idea with zip ties, is there a size of hog rings that work better than others? i think i like the zip tie, im have plenty of those.
dannylang
I use 1/2" rings. If you have a farm supply close, they may also have them.

dannylang

Master of the Pit
Joined Sep 19, 2014
how do you keep the ring from poking holes in the casings? other than just be careful.

dannylang

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 4, 2014
Hold the open top, twist it really tight, and then place the ring around the twist. Tighten the ring with the pliers. Takes a few tries, but you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly.

I'll try and get a pic here in a bit. I use the rings on my plastic sausage bags too.

Last edited:

dannylang

Master of the Pit
Joined Sep 19, 2014
went to lowes today to get some hog ring pliers, those people there did not know what hog rings pliers were, finally found them in the fencing dept, those pliers were BIG and had 1 9/16 inch rings (only size), well i guess i will be on amazon, to try to find them. or lem, but there shipping prices are way to high.

dannylang

SFLsmkr1

Legendary Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined Dec 25, 2010
Bass Pro

Gander Mtn

Cabelas

Academy Sports

All have them.

chopsaw

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
Rural King 

check the local co op . 

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.