Thinking about building a new smoker, but ????

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shoneyboy

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 3, 2010
Denham Springs La
My son and I bought this warming box today at an auction, fairly cheap, $125.00. I was thinking, hey I see a new a smoker in my future, but after looking it up online, this thing sells for $2800.00!!!! Before I found out how much it cost, all I could think about was just how cool of a smoker I can make out of this thing....... After I looking it up, Now all I can think about is, this would make a great EBay item $$$.........I just don't know if I have the heart to cut it up........anyone have any thoughts .........ShoneyBoy

SB, evening....   you have a difficult decision now.....  Got any friends that need a warmer ???  Good trading stock.....

themule69 themule69 I'm a builder and rather than buying one, I think I would really enjoy building one so much more, I know I could build something nice depending on what it sells for ...........

daveomak daveomak I do not as of now, but I hope to meet a rich one very soon....... LOL

ShoneyBoy

If you don't need the money I wouldn't look at it as how much you can make on it I would look at it as how much you have invested in it. If you can get away with making your dream smoker for around $200 you might as well do it. A perfect smoker that you're happy about will last a lot longer than the $2k you may get out of it.

If you're hard up for cash...sell it. 

If you don't need the money I wouldn't look at it as how much you can make on it I would look at it as how much you have invested in it. If you can get away with making your dream smoker for around $200 you might as well do it. A perfect smoker that you're happy about will last a lot longer than the $2k you may get out of it.

If you're hard up for cash...sell it.
I have to agree with your logic.

David

But it is screaming.......screaming I tell you to be a smoker!!!  That is a really tough decision. Am I helping any Shoneyboy?
woodcutter woodcutter No, no help what so ever!!! I have been outside looking at several times. Between yesterday and today I even found myself with a tape measure in my hand once......... Oh what have I gotten myself into......:hit:

how about instead of a smoker, i bet that thing would hold even temps and with a little tinkering you can use it to make fermented and/or dried sausages....

Hi shoneyboy, Thought I would put my 2 cents worth in here.

I have much the same thing as you just bought in the auction and I'm here to tell you, It makes a perfect smoker. I don't see the heating element in the pictures you posted unless you have removed it. Mine has the original electric heating unit in it.

The heater has 2 heat elements, They are both enclosed in 1 unit but can be run separate or together. The bigger element stands vertically in the back and the other one is smaller and is in the base unit for the purpose of heating water that can be put in a small reservoir for moisture.

I went a couple steps further and drilled through the side wall and installed the gas valve on the outside and a propane burner on the inside, both scavenged from an old barbcue. I use the electric heating when I do cold smoking, such as Bacon and Jerky, when I do ribs, chicken etc. for hot smoke, I light the propane burner to get the needed heat.

I also installed a 4" X 10" floor furnace vent in the top for an exhaust port, and a 4" X 10" wall furnace vent in the lower part of the door for an air inlet vent, Both of these have the control to control the opening size. I also installed a 3" aluminum elbow in the lower left rear side for using the mail box mod and my amsn-p pellet burner.

I am attaching pictures so you can see what I have done with mine.

view showing the control panel for the electric elements

View of the propane burner and cast iron skillet for when I used wood chips

Gas valve and mail box mod connection

view of inlet vent in door

Close up of inlet vent

view of vent in top for exhaust vent. This makes a heck of a good smoker, Its insulated, It has the large casters to roll it in and out, Just can't think of what more could be wanted in a home made smoker, unless it was for a larger one.

Rich-

It would make a nice smoker, or if you put it on ebay you would probably have enough to pay for material on a new smoker build, Smoker building is fun, just can't have too many --- well maybe, but you can always sell your least favorite'

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky