Thick Boneless Ribeye in CI 1st Time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MJB05615

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 12, 2018
DACULA GA
Haven't posted anything in a while, been extra busy with work.
Cooked an extra thick Ribeye using CI pan. Got the info from Rich chopsaw chopsaw and also used Robert's tx smoker tx smoker wonderful Beef Rub, (which I cannot get enough of lol).
Not a lot of pics because I was concentrating on the methods. Descriptions under each Picture.

IMG_3889.jpg
Starting in the CI after first turn. Butter, Garlic and fresh Thyme.
Went into Oven at 300' for about 45 minutes til IT was 125'.

IMG_3890.jpg
On the Grill for just a moment or 2 on each side for some Char.

IMG_3891.jpg
Finished and plated, IT was about 135'. Side of the Mrs. Special Potatoes. This had the most unique flavoring, that I'll be doing this over and over it was that good. Cut like butter and juicy. Thanks to Rich for the methods and Robert for the Rub recipe. Thanks for stopping by.

Wow Mike!! That was a lot of steps but the steak looks and sounds fantastic. For my personal tastes I'd have pulled it earlier for more med rare, but if that's how you like yours done, then kudos on a perfect cook my friend. You sure got an amazing color on that thing!!

Robert

Reactions: MJB05615
Looks great Mike ! Nice job bud . I like the added char from the grill too . Good thinking on that .
Really good way to cook a steak .

Wow Mike!! That was a lot of steps but the steak looks and sounds fantastic. For my personal tastes I'd have pulled it earlier for more med rare, but if that's how you like yours done, then kudos on a perfect cook my friend. You sure got an amazing color on that thing!!

Robert
Thanks Robert, I agree it went a tad too long, but close enough to devour, lol. Your Beef Rub that you shared last year has been the only Rub I use on Steaks.

Looks great Mike ! Nice job bud . I like the added char from the grill too . Good thinking on that .
Really good way to cook a steak .
Thanks Rich. I decided to Char a bit because the edge fat was pretty thick and I didn't want to cut it prior to cooking for fear of dryness.

Mmmmm steak! That one looks mighty good.
I've about forgotten what a properly charred steak taste like.
Thanks Chile, I've done some on the Chargriller with all wood, and that was also amazing. These were too thick to consider the Grill.

As you know I am all about a big plate of taters, What would they be , I must have missed what they were or how she did them up
Thanks

David
Here's the Special Potatoes recipe. I thought I posted a few months ago, it was December 2020, lol.
Here's the Special Potatoes Recipe as near as it can be, it's pretty simple, she came up with it over 25 years ago. It is probably similar to other recipes, but we only have it with Special meals:
Boil 5 lbs potatoes as you would for Mashed Potatoes, add Salt to water while potatoes are boiling.
When almost ready like Mashed would be, but not quite the doneness, drain them, add 1 stick of Butter to the empty pot so it starts melting.
Put Potatoes back into the pot.
Dice 1 medium Onion, add to the pot.
Add 1/4 cup Garlic Powder + 1- 2 TBS Black Pepper + 1 TBS Paprika.
Mash this mixture not all the way, keep it a little lumpy.
Stir so all is mixed together.
Spray a baking pan with Pam, she uses a lasagna 9x13 pan.
Pour mixture into pan, smooth it out.
Add another TBS or 2 of Paprika sprinkled over the top.
Spray top with nice coating of Pam.
Cover with foil, bake at 400' for at least an hour.
Serve, you can uncover for the last 10-15 minutes of cooking if you like it crispier.
Warning, for some reason these stay extremely hot to the touch for a very long time after serving. We don't know why but we often joke about this. Hope you like it as much as we do. You can probably adjust some ingredients to your personal taste. It's not very spicy. Thanks for looking.

Here's the Special Potatoes recipe. I thought I posted a few months ago, it was December 2020, lol.

Ha ha , yes this was before my time here , But glad you mentioned them. I will
try these for sure. Sounds like a great mix. Is that 1 - 2 tablespoon of paprika on top
All the ingredients sound good to me , printed off now .

thanks for this

David

Ha ha , yes this was before my time here , But glad you mentioned them. I will
try these for sure. Sounds like a great mix. Is that 1 - 2 tablespoon of paprika on top
All the ingredients sound good to me , printed off now .

thanks for this

David
Let me know how you like it. Yes Paprika sprinkled over the top.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Steak 🥩 looks awesome and thanks for the special potatoes recipe. Would you be willing to share your steak rub recipe?
Thanks, let me know how you like the Special Potatoes. I'll check that rub recipe. It was from tx smoker tx smoker Robert. Here it is from Oct 2021.

BEEF RUB By TXSMOKER Robert 10/13/2021:

3 T Montreal steak seasoning ground in a spice grinder
2 t Garlic powder
2 t Chili powder
1 ½ t Smoked Spanish paprika
1 t Black pepper
½ t Guajaillo pepper
1 t Ancho pepper
½ t Arbol pepper
¾ t Cayenne
1 ½ t Sugar
1 t salt
1 t Onion powder
1 ½ t Beef bouillon

As for the Montreal, it's just a good start. I could have recreated it but why spend hours trying to figure it out when it's already done. This does not make much so I'd suggest doing 2-3 times the recipe

My preference is to reverse sear.
Smoke first then sear in cast iron or on the grill.
I did that last week and the meat was tough. I had 4 cut from the same Roast, and this week it was like butter, much more tender. Don't worry, I was able to eat all of it last week, lol.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky