ThermoPro TP-08 Probe Issues

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

trillo15

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 1, 2017
Northern BC, Canada
Good Evening,

I purchased the TP-08 on Amazon last summer as an upgrade from the cheap digital thermometers that I had before. I use my smoker probably about once a week/two weeks. I have found that I am having repeated probe issues, especially with the smaller BBQ probe, and have had to replace it 3 times, and the meat one once. Today for example, I was using both probes to monitor my smoker temp while doing ribs, and all of a sudden, the one temp went off by 50F. Replaced the probe with a spare that I had (last spare I have) and it went back to normal.

I don't think that I am doing anything that is out side the norm with these probes, but it has been frustrating not being 100% sure if I have an accurate temperature with the frequency of failed probes.

Does anyone else have this issue with probes?

I would test your probes with boiling water and then with ice water. Since it failed on the ribs maybe you got to close to the bone. I'm not familiar with the TP-08, but can it be calibrated?

Chris

I'm not sure about this, but I don't think the probes are waterproof, so you wouldn't want to get any water at the connection where the probe meets the wire. That would cause them to fail.
Al

Good Evening,

I purchased the TP-08 on Amazon last summer as an upgrade from the cheap digital thermometers that I had before. I use my smoker probably about once a week/two weeks. I have found that I am having repeated probe issues, especially with the smaller BBQ probe, and have had to replace it 3 times, and the meat one once. Today for example, I was using both probes to monitor my smoker temp while doing ribs, and all of a sudden, the one temp went off by 50F. Replaced the probe with a spare that I had (last spare I have) and it went back to normal.

I don't think that I am doing anything that is out side the norm with these probes, but it has been frustrating not being 100% sure if I have an accurate temperature with the frequency of failed probes.

Does anyone else have this issue with probes?
I'm having the same trouble with a TP-20 , but when it's in the meat . Looks like you are talking cab temps , and could have that big of a difference in different spots .
I check mine with boiling water and ice , reads good . Even use my anova SV and it reads the same as the anova .

Well, crap. I was hoping the ThermoPro probes would be a substantial improvement over the Mav/RediChek/Ivation probes.

I've tossed two older Mav probes in the last two weeks. Tried oven drying, keeping inside, etc, but they are off by 45-50F, and I'm only monitoring the chamber. It isn't a placement issue; they are off by that much. My RiverCountry lid therm exactly matches the oven temp thermometer I place on the grate, so that's my go-to for accuracy.

Doing an overnighter tonight with a pork butt. Might do it old school and not use anything electronic, even my Guru.

Reactions: trillo15
Wow! Sorry to hear about the difficulties, if you could send me a direct message with your order information (order number), I will pass to our head of customer service and we'll arrange something for you.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky