Thermopen Repair

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rexster314

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 7, 2012
Texas Gulf Coast
The swivel on the probe has been wonky for several months now, couldn't tighten it up anymore and was almost useless.
Tore into it yesterday. The plastic boss had cracked and couldn't tighten up. I drilled out both sides of the thermometer, being careful not to break the thin temperature wire from the probe, then used a 3/8" nut/bolt to put everything back together. Super glued the nut so it wouldn't back out and all is well again
2020-07-11 14.50.59.jpg 2020-07-11 14.50.50.jpg

I’m glad it worked out for you. Nice job

if you send it in to them to repair they will make it like new (not free) and calibrate it.

Great repair,but for a $100 dollar therm they shoulda done it for for you for nothing.A 2yr warranty for a therm that price is a joke,after mine broke and they would do nothing I told them to stick the probe where the sun don't shine.

Great repair,but for a $100 dollar therm they shoulda done it for for you for nothing.A 2yr warranty for a therm that price is a joke,after mine broke and they would do nothing I told them to stick the probe where the sun don't shine.

It's over 2 years, still works perfectly, knew I could fix it properly, and didn't want to waste time with sending it back

There are so many fast thermocouple and thermistors out now but the therrmocouple fades over time and needs recalibrating and newer therms put in a calibration switch. The thermapen is made in worthington, UK by electronic temperature instruments, Ltd and marketed throughout the usa through thermoworks in utah but isn't a thermorks product and warranted 2 years and no warranty purchased elsewhere. Thermoworks has sales demos, open box, cosmetic blemished., broken packaging and returns sales that no other therm company offers. The 2 year warranty doesn't justify the price because thermoworks has a dept just for repairs and recalibration that no one should know about but its common knowledge, meaning the price doesn't reflect the warranty. I would do what you did. I did that with other hinged tools. The javelin, formerly thermowand is a smaller thermistor sensor $25 lifetime guarantee, 4 second read a lot of us on SMF bought before xmas 2014. My hinge switch just failed so I have a new one without having to send it back. No therms other than maybe thermoworks brand are made in usa so tough to figure who to give money to. Buy the warranty because all therms are becoming 2-5 second reads. And don't spend money to figure out if the recalibration from mailing it back to thermoworks is your fix. I commented on youtube about thermapen's speed test againt the basic javlin and I said your test with a different thermapen was slower. Thermoworks removed it from youtube. Kinda like the joke about what color is fastest. Thermapen was the ground breaker in speed but not in longevity and needs to offer a warranty that relects the price.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky