The weekend Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cappyr

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 26, 2013
South Louisiana
We been running errands all day, but while we were at it I had 10# of chicken hind quarters sitting in Cajun spices, "woo" sauce, lemon juice, and a beer.  Planning on taking advantage of the last day of late sunshine, and putting them on the grill.

Last edited:
With natural chunk hard wood charcoal by the air intake on the left and an aluminum pan on the other side, I put the chicken and the required Cajun sausage over the pan of water, opened a beer and got the Blues on the outdoor speakers.

Last edited:
The stuff the chicken was soaking in went into a small pot and with half a stick of butter, and was brought to a simmer on the stove.  It will be used as a mop later, but ya need to simmer it 'cause of the chicken blood it may contain.  Ya can't be too careful.  It's been down for 30 minutes and from my hand on the pit, feels around 180 degrees.  Country boy thermometer when ya can lay ya hand down for a sec. or so 'fore ya gotta snatch it off da pit, is 180-200 degrees.
icon_biggrin.gif

looking good CappyR........ I gawr-on-tee...................
icon14.gif

" I gawr-on-tee.."  lol spoken like a fellow swamp trash
icon_biggrin.gif
  comin on an hour now so I'm gonna baste turn and baste again back with an up date in a few.

Naturally, at the 1.5 hour we couldn't stand it no more and took the Cajun sausage in, sliced it up and are nibbling on it as we dance on da carport jamming to da Blues.

Naturally, at the 1.5 hour we couldn't stand it no more and took the Cajun sausage in, sliced it up and are nibbling on it as we dance on da carport jamming to da Blues.
Your are my favorite newest member.... How did I miss you joining!!!! LOVE IT!!!! Welcome and keep the post a comin!!

Well da sausage was slap yo mama good.  and da chicken is getting right, wont be long now its been like 8 beers so it aughta be getting close.
th_anim_burp.gif

Awllrighty, afta 3 hours we grabed a leg bone and twisted and it came apart in our hand.  So we called did.  Cookin' temperature?  Not sure, if it woulda been more than 220 the water in the pan under the chicken woulda boiled and let me know.  If it hadda been less than 180 I coulda held my hand on the lid for more than a second.  Internal temperature??  Who cares.  Twist a leg bone and ya can tell its done.  Now we got chicken to last the weekend, and share with the neighbors.  Only problem is....I am outa Beer.
th_crybaby2.gif

beercheer.gif
 If I were closer to you... Id bring the beer..

the neighbors have chicken now.. you should have beer :) its the right thing to do :) good looking chics! 

God bless my sweet wife, despite a bad con\ld and sore throat she drove me to the corner for a BEER RUN!
th_HaHAAHaa.gif

Hey Cappy R  That really looks great. I do see one thing you forgot !    TO SEND ME DIRECTIONS AND EAT"EN TIME   Really Does look good, probably taste even better.   from a member, fellow smoker and griller from East Texas

Gary

Shucks Gary it aint like I don't do something like this every time I  am off da boat year round.  There is always next time.
icon_confused.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky