The unoffical SMF marinara/gravy thread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
A quick Google search distinguishes between no meat (sauce) and added meat (gravy) as terms used in New York and the East Coast. Apparently, it became gravy after immigrants moved to America. I don't recall my Calabrian born grandparents who lived near the East Coast ever calling their sauce gravy, and it always included meat. In fact, with their heavy accents, they called it (spelled phonetically)...Sowsa.

Derek...if I might suggest. Mix the stuff together ans taste it before adding sugar. The San Marzano tomatoes have somewhat of a natural sweetness to them by default.

Robert
San Marzano's tomatoes are a joke there is no way in hell that the San Marzano region of Italy could produce enough tomatoes to supply the whole US let alone the whole world. Most of the San Marzano tomatoes bought in the states were grown in Stanislaus County which is central California and shipped to Italy canned in San Marzano then shipped around the world as San Marzano's so basically you are buying old tomatoes. You are much better off buying San Marzano style tomatoes grown in CA.

Reactions: noboundaries
A quick Google search distinguishes between no meat (sauce) and added meat (gravy) as terms used in New York and the East Coast. Apparently, it became gravy after immigrants moved to America. I don't recall my Calabrian born grandparents who lived near the East Coast ever calling their sauce gravy, and it always included meat. In fact, with their heavy accents, they called it (spelled phonetically)...Sowsa.
A lot of families call their sauce Sugo, in my family it was always called sauce. LOL

San Marzano's tomatoes are a joke there is no way in hell that the San Marzano region of Italy could produce enough tomatoes to supply the whole US let alone the whole world. Most of the San Marzano tomatoes bought in the states were grown in Stanislaus County which is central California and shipped to Italy canned in San Marzano then shipped around the world as San Marzano's so basically you are buying old tomatoes. You are much better off buying San Marzano style tomatoes grown in CA.
I guess I don't have the taste buds to distinguish the difference between true San Marzano and everything else. I've tried a LOT of different canned tomatoes in marinaras, sauces, pizza, etc, and can't tell enough of a difference to justify paying 5x the price for something labeled San Marzano. If they were grown in around Modesto (90 mins from me), that would explain a lot.

Kind of reminds me of some blind whiskey/bourbon/wine tests I've seen. People's expectations change with knowledge of what they "think" they're drinking.

Reactions: forktender
I use canned whole peeled tomatoes and fresh basil for pizza sauce . Spun up in the food processor . Goes on the pizza uncooked . I took forktender forktender advice and look for California on the can now .
20201113_172451.jpg
My Son makes the pasta sauce using the recipe from my wife's family . They always called it sauce .
Their family is from Sicily . She cooked the meatballs and sausage in the sauce . No other meats that I know of .

Chicken Gravy !!!
We use McComick's Gravy Mix for a lot of gravies.

However whenever we have Chicken, we always use my Favorite---"Campbell's Cream of Chicken Soup"! It's awesome with Chicken & on Mashed Taters as a side with Chicken.
Been using it for over 50 years.

Bear

Chicken Gravy !!!

However whenever we have Chicken, we always use my Favorite---"Campbell's Cream of Chicken Soup"! It's awesome with Chicken & on Mashed Taters as a side with Chicken.

Bear
Have tried the roasted garlic cream of mushroom? Much better than the original! That stuff make anything taste good.

Chicken Gravy !!!

Bear

In 1984 I was a starving roughneck working in the Oklahoma panhandle and on Thanksgiving we took 2 Cornish hens and covered them with Cambell's Cream of Mushroom soup. It was surprisingly tasty!

We call this Pork Sauce, most popular with my crew and Leftovers make a great Pizza Sauce!

For Marinara, skip the Meat and only cook for about 1 Hour to combine the flavors.

For Grandma's Sunday Gravy, use...
2 lbs Pork Butt,
2 lbs Beef Chuck,
2 lbs Chicken Thighs and,
1 lb of Italian or other Sausage....
Meatballs Optional!
Brown the meat, one at a time and set aside.
Use 3 can Tomatoes.
Simmer Pork Butt and Beef Chuck 2 Hours.
Add Chix Thighs and Sausage.
Simmer a third hour or until the meats are fork tender.
An Old Southern Italian Twist!...Add,
1/2tsp Ground Clove
1/4tsp Ground Nutmeg
1/4tsp Ground Cinnamon.
Makes a tasty sauce with an amazing Aroma!

Pork Sauce

4-5Lbs Pork Country Style Ribs or Butt, cut in 2x2 pieces ( This is a Min. up to 8lbs won't hurt, just add the 3rd can of Tomatoes...Bones Too! )

2T Olive Oil
2C fine Chopped Onion
1C fine Chopped Carrot
2-3ea lrg Cloves Garlic, minced (1Tbs)
2-3ea 28oz. Cans 100% Whole ( Hand Crushed) or Diced Tomatoes, NO ADDITIVES!!!
12oz Tomato Paste
12oz Red Wine, Plus a Glass or 2 for You!
1tsp Oregano
1tsp Salt
1tsp Black Pepper
1 14oz can or homemade Broth. (Rinse Tomato cans.)

1C Fresh Basil Leaves, torn (Big handful.)
Sugar if needed.

OPTIONAL: For a Smooth Sauce, puree the Tomatoes and set aside.

Lots of Parm Reggiano Cheese for pasta

Heat oil in a large Heavy Bottom 8Qt Stock Pot or Dutch Oven

Brown meat on all sides, 6-7 pieces at a time. Set aside.

Saute Veg until Onion is translucent and golden.

Add Tomato Paste and saute until it darkens slightly.

Add wine and reduce 5 minutes to concentrate flavor.

Add Meat and remaining, except Basil and Sugar.

Bring to a Boil, reduce Heat and simmer, uncovered, until meat is nearly falling apart. About 3 Hours.
NOTE: A Spatter Screen is a GOOD IDEA!

Stir every Ten Minutes, scraping the bottom of the pot to keep from burning.

When meat is Fork Tender, Add Basil and adjust seasoning. If too acidic add sugar to taste.

Serve Sauce over your Fav pasta and meat on the side. Top with Cheese.

I guess I don't have the taste buds to distinguish the difference between true San Marzano and everything else. I've tried a LOT of different canned tomatoes in marinaras, sauces, pizza, etc, and can't tell enough of a difference to justify paying 5x the price for something labeled San Marzano. If they were grown in around Modesto (90 mins from me), that would explain a lot.

Kind of reminds me of some blind whiskey/bourbon/wine tests I've seen. People's expectations change with knowledge of what they "think" they're drinking.
Side by side you'd and taste the difference.
Last year I met up with Anthony Falco of Roberta's pizza in Queens New York at the Napa Culinary Institute in the heart of CA's wine country in Napa CA. And we did a blind taste test of five brands of San Marzano style tomatoes. Some of the most expensive brands taste overly tinny or overly tart from too much citric acid. There were two brands one brand had two types that came out on top.
Third place was Valoroso Robusto also made by Stanislaus tomatoes in Stanislaus County CA..
Bolder taste seasoned a little heavier than the other two.
1609910748831.png

In second place it went to Bianco Dinapoli (sweet with very little tin taste) grown in central CA.
1609909770219.png

First place was Alta Cucina plum tomatoes, (very sweet zero tin taste zero citric acid taste)
Grown in Stanislaus County CA.
1609910278046.png
The most popular brand San Marzano tomatoes were Cento.
1609911154764.png

The Cento's are easiest to find around here came out close to the bottom of the list with only one being worse which was the Sanamerican brand.
1609911363143.png

There are plenty of good crushed tomatoes such as Stanislaus 711.
1609911746039.png

And Tomato Magic.
1609911820647.png

And Full-Red which is a puree.
1609911926225.png

Walk into almost any Italian restaurant or pizza joint worth a lick and I bet you will find one of the above used as their base.

Sorry for geeking out on tomatoes.
If you have a restaurant supply nearby you can buy #10 cans of Al Dente' for $5.00-$7.00 it really is the way to go to get a good base.
1609912299384.png

Stanislaus County California tomatoes really are the best in the world ask any Chef.
An awesome ready to go pizza sauce I love it on pasta and Arancini is Pizzaido Autentico pizza sauce.
1609912603580.png

Sorry, I get side tracked super easy when it comes to good food talk.

Dan

Last edited:
The Alta Cucina " Naturale " label lists Fresh Basil, Salt and Naturally derived Citric Acid. I would think Naturale would mean 100% Tomato and Juice, period...

Dan, before I pull the trigger on a case, how Forward are these added ingredients?...JJ

513b1mPFpQL.jpg

The Alta Cucina " Naturale " label lists Fresh Basil, Salt and Naturally derived Citric Acid. I would think Naturale would mean 100% Tomato and Juice, period...

Dan, before I pull the trigger on a case, how Forward are these added ingredients?...JJ

View attachment 478970
Normally there is 1-3medium size basil leafs in each #10 can, so it is not overbearing or a forward flavor.
As far as the Citric acid goes if it wasn't printed on the label I wouldn't have ever detected it. I hate the tartness of C.A. in canned foods or fake sourdough bread, but I love these tomatoes they are just as good as my fresh off the vine as far as sauces go. To be honest I actually prefer them to fresh off the vine because it's so much easier, and they taste damn near the same in the final product.
I just ran out to the garage pantry to what I have left, it's been hard to find locally since this covid crap started. And we just lost one of our restaurant supply stores that normally had a good stock of them.

20210106_040355.jpg

I grabbed a few new brands to try out both grown in the Central Valley of CA.
I use the Full Red when I make a big batch of lasagna with a little tweaking and straight Full Red on my NY style pizza it's good stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: chef jimmyj
Been reading forktender forktender pizza info for awhile now . After I saw the comment about buying California tomatoes , I've been doing that . This is the only brand I see here from Cali .
I tend to buy the whole peeled and blend to the consistency I need .
20210106_080557.jpg

Thanks so much! Exactly what I was hoping you would say...I put Fresh Basil in my sauce and love the flavor. I HATE the flavor of Dry Basil in tomato sauce and can taste the smallest amount! A little salt or Acid can be adjusted for with a bit of Sugar or Baking Soda, but I have gotten some Super Salty canned tomatoes that were just horrible.Thanks again...JJ

On the tomato thing, I once geeked out and tested all that I could get locally and found Kroger crushed tomatoes to be the clear winner. I may do that again... I have never pulled the trigger on the super premium Stanislaus stuff but have been aware of it now a few years. That said, that test totally elevated our food a few levels so I can see merit in them. That Full Red is calling me... Am I right, I can just freeze the leftover and save for later?

I can just freeze the leftover and save for later?
I seem to always have a partial can left over . We use a lot around here , so my son bought these silicone lids that fit the cans . I just lid it up and store in the fridge . I use it most of the time within a week . When he makes the sauce I put the extra in a mason jar and pull a vacuum , then fridge .
We use it pretty fast , but I've gone 2 weeks like that .
The lids come in sizes that fit 28 , 15 and 6 oz.
20200815_082858.jpg

We use it frequently too and at least weekly but that Full Red is 6lb7oz can so that that is like just under 4 "28oz" batches we make so could potentially be 4 weeks. Wife does not let anything last a few days in the fridge here but years in freezer. :emoji_laughing: I see GFS carries these... Hopefully mine does but doubt it!

We went Disney a few years back and ended up getting a light lunch and ordered some bread sticks with marinara. HOLY was that marinara good! I am a huge food snob and it blew my mind! Everyone in our group agreed when they tried.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky