The Thanksgiving is Over Turkey ~ Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foamheart

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
But it doesn't mean I don't like 1.00 a pound smoked turkey.

Before I start. I came to a rude awakening, I assume that enhancement would have some set of rules as too how much when and where. Oh contrary, it depends on the individual fowl you pick up. I had an enhanced Butterball @3%, a non-enhanced at 5%, and an old hen at 19%. I suggest you remember to check the percentage when shopping, and read the fine print if needed.

So we all know I don't do holiday cooking. Let the kids make their own memories, and I enjoy listening...>LOL

1. It was a 14 lb Butterball @3% enhanced.

2. I brined it for 48 hours, with some cure added. Nothing special, salt, brown sugar, cure, whole cayenne (w/seeds), bay, maple extract and 2 quarts of cranberry juice. Topped off with good ol'H2O. Boiled then cooled with ice, extract and cured then added.

3. Dried turkey and placed in the reefer to dehydrate

4. Put the fan blowing in that skin (trying to form a pellicle).

5. Cranked the MES40 to 240 degrees (thats actually 220)

6. I cleaned the Maverick, turned it on and placed to remote in the MES40 to verify temp while heating up.

7. I loaded the MES Cold Smoker chimney with am 80% Apple/ 20% hickory.

8. Rub down the bird with olive oil and dust the inside w/ Tony's "More" spice

9. Placed the turkey in the MES40, opened the vent full walked away.

10. 2 hours later, insert the maverick temp. probe, bird at 99 degrees.

11. Turn the MES Cold Smoker on and close the vent by 1/2.

12. Check for TBS

Its been 12.5 hours and I think its it a stall....ROFLMAO  5 hours from 159 to 160 so far!

Lets do some pictures

Brining machine

The fan

After stabbing the probe in the bird (about 2 hours in to the smoke)

Vent reduced, BTW there is TBS there if you really stare.

6 hours into the smoke, lookin good! Smellin awesome!

I latest then for 6 more hours before I had to peek cause I never saw poulty stall before <shrugs> Buts its a damn beautiful colored bird!!

I kicked the MES cold smoker the top chips nearly aways stick. I know its going to happen and it makes a nice smoke towards the end of the cook. Can you say TBS?

Its now 12 and 1/2 hours into it and I am waiting patiently. BTW I almost didn't smoke it in the MES40, I should have changed over to the MES30. Better heat in the MES30 cause of the size. But mostly because when I opened that MES40 I was knocked back with that delightful aroma from that Prime brisket! I never one just sit and linger like that, course it was the maiden flight on this MES40. It smelled soo dang good!

I will continue as events transpire. 

Last edited:
So lets see some finished product before it goes to sleep for the night.

I wish you could smell this smoke, it is delightful.

I am going to sleep with my hands over my nose....LOL they smell better than any foo-foo water!

Reactions: kesmc27 and tropics
Sorry Richie, life called and I didn't even get a picture of the hunks of meat. I removed both sides of white meat, the thighs, the leggs, and the wings. All in a bag in the reefer for later. Its tastes pretty good though. Just enough cure to add that slight hammie taste and the brine was pretty good although with all that cranberry you can taste any.

No doubt, a gumbo?  <Chuckles>

Actually I am thinking of expanding my horizons...... what about a smoked turkey, aspargas, and swiss quiche? We'll see, pretty tired now, the creative juices have slowed.

He's the money shot...... <snickers>

BTW Seems I hit a strange combination of buttons and this was taken. That's what it looked like as it came out the smoker Who knew I could be C.B. DeMille?

LOL... or maybe not......... I'll have to play with this.

I'll say this my hands smell totally wonderful. I am affraid to fall asleep right now, I'm skeered I nibble off a finger!

I am thinking I'll finish this into consomme but I just keep adding water right now because that aroma just drives me wild! I may just boil it, like potpourri. LOL

Oh yeah baby! One more just because I can....!!

I also put up 3 quarts of clarified hen broth.......... from last week. 

Bring it on!

One last thing, I actually made some smoked turkey gravy (of course I had to make mashed potatoes then), Its the first ever gravey I have made that tasted good! I just can't make gravy. I know, I know, but it awesome sauce! < /insert pats myself on the back here>

Last edited:
Clean except for just a little grease on top. When cooled will easily come off. Not enough to even dirty the seperator.

Smells sooooo good and since reduced its really concentrated. I figure when I make broth if I can reduce 1 quart to 1 or 2 cups, it takes less freezer space and its easily diluted to the exact concentration ya want when going to use it.

Beautiful Bird Foam,  Its hard to look at your post, everything always looks so good, I want to go in the kitchen and start trying to make the same thing.   Good job Buddy

points1.png

Gary

Kevin I just reseen this post and the broth looks great,nice and clear slow cooked?As for no pics of the birds cut up I still gave a point.I eat them with my eyes every time I see this post.Thanks for sharing the reduction 

Richie

Beautiful Bird Foam,  Its hard to look at your post, everything always looks so good, I want to go in the kitchen and start trying to make the same thing.   Good job Buddy

points1.png

Gary
Thanks Gary, I have been doing birds for so long I can't imagine not being able. Grilled chickens, grilled spare ribs, and smoked chickens have always be an easy quick meal, and no matter whos comming over it always sells right.

Kevin I just reseen this post and the broth looks great,nice and clear slow cooked?As for no pics of the birds cut up I still gave a point.I eat them with my eyes every time I see this post.Thanks for sharing the reduction 

Richie
Usually I am alot faster with the camera, but someone left it on plugged into the computer after downloading the last. By the time it had some power folks had lost their will power.

Thanks for understanding......

I must say I was really impressed with my smoked turkey gravy, I swear its the first time in my life I made brown gravy you'd eat. I'm country we always have milk gravy (and I don't usually do it too well either). Then I simmered? Poached? The bones and skin, set on the stove for 24 hours without a boil. Then I strained, cleared and skimmed, then I just removed the spoonful of fat congealed on the surfice. Its a qt. of extremely flavorful broth. I am thinking it strong enough to handle barley maybe. Really I wish I had had a risotto before, I bet it would make a good one, but hell I don't know if I'd even like it. LOL

There is plenty of time. Sure it won't get old in the reefer.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky