The Secret To Good Sliced Brisket Defies Conventional Wisdom

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
First, ill say that this thread, or the tips in here are for newbies who haven't quite figured out how they and or their smoker work. this is like a "best results for beginners" sort of method, so the other things people do should be taken separate from the thread IMHO (so take the rest here as an appendix, or more helpful info).

For some reason the resting period has become a debate, and I think part of that is that amazingribs dot com ran a publication about it being unnecessary, but I can tell you for sure, that not only is a resting period just common knowledge among every chef I've known (including all of my culinary schooling), but I can also say unequivocally that it does make a difference, if even only for tenderness sake.

I smoke about 2-5 briskets per week (in addition to other BBQ) for my catering business, and even more in the summer during competition season, and I can say that the ones I rest are always leagues better than the ones I don't. I always plan a rest period for my catering clients, because the ones where I haven't when I was starting out were never as good, as juicy or as tender. I've done it too many times each way to say that the rest isn't needed, or better.

I cook mine 50/50 hot and fast method and low and slow method depending on what times the events are (cause I don't want to be up all night, I only do the low and slow for evening parties), so I can also say that both methods, and more-so the hot and fast method the resting period makes a difference.
I honestly don't know what amazingribs people were doing or whether the test was flawed, cause I don't read the whole thing since I already know from experience it helps big time. This goes for all types of meat with the exception of fish IMHO.

Reactions: noboundaries
First, ill say that this thread, or the tips in here are for newbies who haven't quite figured out how they and or their smoker work. this is like a "best results for beginners" sort of method, so the other things people do should be taken separate from the thread IMHO (so take the rest here as an appendix, or more helpful info).

For some reason the resting period has become a debate, and I think part of that is that amazingribs dot com ran a publication about it being unnecessary, but I can tell you for sure, that not only is a resting period just common knowledge among every chef I've known (including all of my culinary schooling), but I can also say unequivocally that it does make a difference, if even only for tenderness sake.

I smoke about 2-5 briskets per week (in addition to other BBQ) for my catering business, and even more in the summer during competition season, and I can say that the ones I rest are always leagues better than the ones I don't. I always plan a rest period for my catering clients, because the ones where I haven't when I was starting out were never as good, as juicy or as tender. I've done it too many times each way to say that the rest isn't needed, or better.

I cook mine 50/50 hot and fast method and low and slow method depending on what times the events are (cause I don't want to be up all night, I only do the low and slow for evening parties), so I can also say that both methods, and more-so the hot and fast method the resting period makes a difference.
I honestly don't know what amazingribs people were doing or whether the test was flawed, cause I don't read the whole thing since I already know from experience it helps big time. This goes for all types of meat with the exception of fish IMHO.

I haven't read the Amazing Ribs article that says you don't have to rest a brisket, but that's just plain wrong. Anyone with any experience can tell you how cooked beef muscle relaxes when rested properly. It's the "properly" part that can take some figuring out. Heck, even with grilled steaks I can tell the difference between a 10 minute rest and a 30 minute rest. Longer than 30 minutes on steaks doesn't seem to make a difference. My briskets are always rested a minimum of an hour, 2-3 if I can manage.

Reactions: travisty
I haven't read the Amazing Ribs article that says you don't have to rest a brisket, but that's just plain wrong. Anyone with any experience can tell you how cooked beef muscle relaxes when rested properly. It's the "properly" part that can take some figuring out. Heck, even with grilled steaks I can tell the difference between a 10 minute rest and a 30 minute rest. Longer than 30 minutes on steaks doesn't seem to make a difference. My briskets are always rested a minimum of an hour, 2-3 if I can manage.
Couldn’t agree more!

Loving all the tips and tricks for brisket on this one. I am going to have to save this for when I finally get around to smoking my first brisket :)

I just sent this thread to my son who is doing his first brisket tomorrow. Thanks Joel For posting your method of smoking a brisket, Saved me a bunch of typing. ;)

Reactions: flatbroke
Thanks for the tips. I’ve been learning a new smoker, kamado big joe, and your fat cap suggestion and the toothpick trick were great. Thanks again

I rest my brisket and my pork butts wraped in stretch wrap and heavy duty tin foil in a cooler packed with towels over night. Mainly because I reach internal temperature around midnight. It still reads 135 140 in the morning and the result is melt in your mouth tender juicy brisket and butts I don’t do it any other way because this way works consistently. I have done many briskets and all of them have been the same tender and juicy from flat to point. If you like burnt ends don’t do it my way because you really can’t tell the difference between the flat end the point once it’s sliced.

Randy,

That article was mainly talking about resting steaks. In the article it explains the difference between "resting" and "holding" brisket. It says that the holding period is necessary to help make the meat more tender. It never says you should take a brisket directly off the cooker and start cutting.

So a very minor update, but in the last 5 years the only change I have made to this is to put the brisket in a pan once it hits 165* just to keep the bottom of the meat from getting hard.

I am surprisingly thrilled how many of you have adapted this simple idea to make your own perfect brisket. Even Dan's kid. :D

Reactions: DanMcG
Do you put anything else in the pan with it? Broth? drippings? Do you cover the pan with foil?

No, there is more than enough rendering fat for that. In fact, there will be a lot of "juice" that you will need to be very careful removing the pan so you don't splash yourself or someone else and create some nasty burns.
Do you put anything else in the pan with it? Broth? drippings? Do you cover the pan with foil?

As long as it is working for you, I am glad this thread has helped so many. You guys rock!

As long as it is working for you, I am glad this thread has helped so many. You guys rock!

To bring this baby back to life, question regarding burnt ends.

If I wanna take the point and make some meat candy, separate that and cube it. Sauce it. Hit it with a little rub. I’m doing that shortly after it gets off the smoker though, prior to foil and rest. Correct?

That's the way I do it. Wrap the flat and rest it. Meanwhile, the cubed point goes back into the smoker.

That's the way I do it. Wrap the flat and rest it. Meanwhile, the cubed point goes back into the smoker.

Thanks!

Been on a bit of a hiatus from smoking. WSM wore me out. Things about 7 years old and needs constant attention. Low and behold for my upcoming birthday I just got a new RT-700 bull! Burnt it in the other day, seasoned it, and I am going to give that baby the honor of cooking me up a perfect brisket! WSM brisket smokes were a pain, constant baby sitting.

CANT WAIT to see this bull in action. Will be sure to post in the beef thread on Tuesday and Wednesday!

Reactions: SlickRockStones
I have been meaning to post this for about 6 months but kept forgetting, something would get in the way, blah blah blah, etc. With the impending end of the world on Dec. 21st 2012 (and I am bored watching servers reboot at work) I figured I would throw it out there. My secret to great brisket is to not trim any fat off at all. There it is in all of its simplistic glory.

I have had some back channel discussions with some other members who also believe they make a great brisket and we have all arrived at the same conclusion separately. Trimming the fat is a pointless exercise that will actually diminish the final product. I would like to challenge those of you who are struggling with brisket to give this a try.

But what about all that fat you ask. What about it? I assume that you have a knife since you are trimming brisket to begin with. Rather than using it before you smoke the brisket, use it after the fact when you are serving the brisket. Unless you are turning your briskets into charcoal, if you don't trim the fat you will have a very moist brisket.

For those interested in how I make brisket, here you go.

My rub is very simple and consists of the following:

1/3 cup kosher salt

1/4 cup coarse ground black pepper

1 TBS onion powder

1 TBS granulated garlic

1 TBS paprika

1 1/2 TSP chipotle powder

My process is as follows:

While the smoker is coming up to temp I will apply rub to all surfaces of the brisket. Depending on the size of the brisket, you may need more or less rub than what I have posted above. The objective is not to use all the rub. A little bit goes a long way.

Once the smoker has hit my desired temperature (usually 235*), I put the brisket on. I will then wait about 6 hours before putting a temp probe in the thickest part of the meat. And then I wait. When the IT hits 175* I will then check it hourly with a round toothpick. If the round toothpick slides in and out easily it is done (by easily I mean with virtually no effort). Sometimes that is 180* and other times it can be 195*. My point is that there is no perfect temperature to signal that it is done. Every brisket is different and understanding that is a crucial point.

Once the brisket is done I will double wrap it in heavy duty foil, cooler it, and let it rest for two hours. After that I will open it up and slice it.

I do not foil prior to completion or inject my briskets. At one time I had used both of these practices.

I’m smoking my first brisket Saturday and am going to give this a try and hopefully won’t screw it up too badly.

My only questions are do you put fat side up or down? And do you have any preference of the flat or point being closest/furthest from the heat source?

In my WSM I put the fat side down toward the heat, the point toward the hottest part of my smoker. If I every use an offset, I'd do the same, but others put the fat side on top. Try it both ways and see what you like.

The reason I put the point toward the heat, or hottest side of my smoker, is that the point is so forgiving.

Reactions: foamheart and tgo0
Great thread. I am new, sort of, to smoking. I say sort of because I've had my smoker for a while but haven't had the opportunity to use it for a while (life and all). Anyway, I have done a couple of briskets, nothing spectacular. So I am going to try this this weekend. I know this is a newbie question, but I need to ask. How do you separate the point from the flat? I've only done flats, but I want to do a whole one this time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky