The history of the AMNPS and why you need one.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
No walmart on the box bought 1 today before they got gone ,be next weekend before I get to try it

I do wonder what the composition of imported pellets might be, if they started Importing them.
Talk about a lack of Quality Control and Mystery Wood in your smoke....

(Still trying to get the gypsum out from between my teeth from the imported toothpaste....o_O)

New to the forum and stumbled upon this post. Been shopping these hard lately and this helped me tremendously. Went with a 12" tube bought straight from the A-Maze-N Website. Can't wait for it to arrive!

Good choice...JJ

Good choice...JJ

Thanks! Looks like the AMNTS already shipped!

Planning to utilize it with in a Smoke Hollow 30in gas smoker I recently purchased. Unfortunately I purchased and used the smoker prior to finding this site, or I would have purchased an electric. Oh well... Going to give this a shot and make the best of it. Any tips for a newbie using a 12in tube inside the gas smoker that I've got?

Don't pack too tightly. Oxygen is at a premium in a Gasser and you want a steady clean burn...JJ

With a gasser sounds like you made the right choice. Enjoy it.

Chris

Appreciated. I'll report back once I get it all going this weekend (hopefully USPS ships quick!).

USPS is my Favorite shipper.
The only time I had trouble was when somebody in Idaho saw Saugus as the town, and the enterprising fool sent my order to Saugus, Massachusetts....
I live in Saugus, California. :confused::mad:
The USPS overnighted my order back to California, no charge.
USPS is my favorite.
I think we all hate waiting once we clicked the button.

S is my Favorite shipper.
The only time I had trouble was when somebody in Idaho saw Saugus as the town, and the enterprising fool sent my order to Saugus, Massachusetts....
I live in Saugus, California. :confused::mad:
The USPS overnighted my order back to California, no charge.
USPS is my favorite.
I
Definitely not knocking USPS. They have served me well also. Mainly just saying that I am anxiously excited that the package arrives before the weekend. Based on the latest tracking, I think it will!

Definitely not knocking USPS. They have served me well also. Mainly just saying that I am anxiously excited that the package arrives before the weekend. Based on the latest tracking, I think it will!

I find they typically are the fastest for me. Usually 3 days, or less.
I hope you get your order very soon, and definitely before the weekend.
Weekends are for play!

I'm currently tracking an order from China (As in on a slow boat from),
And one from Walmart.

Walmart sez Friday. China sez November 20th. :confused::(

I find they typically are the fastest for me. Usually 3 days, or less.
I hope you get your order very soon, and definitely before the weekend.
Weekends are for play!

I'm currently tracking an order from China (As in on a slow boat from),
And one from Walmart.

Walmart sez Friday. China sez November 20th. :confused::(

Well you were right! USPS came through. My package arrived today. Didn’t get a chance to lite up the tube, but rigged up a slick little system to hang it inside my box. Used two hose clamps. Left them loose so I can slide the tube in and out to fill and light.

Think that will work?

Attachments

• FF6EC509-3E2F-47D3-A8EC-FA8DECA335AE.jpeg
    FF6EC509-3E2F-47D3-A8EC-FA8DECA335AE.jpeg
    94.3 KB · Views: 102
  • C96DE815-4BD8-479A-BB3F-AA9608082888.jpeg
    C96DE815-4BD8-479A-BB3F-AA9608082888.jpeg
    91.9 KB · Views: 101
Close to the fresh air vent, good distance from the heat source, should be money...JJ

Close to the fresh air vent, good distance from the heat source, should be money...JJ

Well it turned out great! Practiced on some chicken breast last friday then went "all-in" on two briskets saturday.

Tried to use a small water pan to keep some moisture in the smoker for the brisket, but had trouble keeping the tube lit. Didn't want to have to worry about it, so I removed the water and just spritzed the meat with some apple juice/beef broth.

Smoked the briskets to be frozen for a party in a couple weeks. That said, I smoked them for 8 hrs. Wrapped and finished in the oven to 203F. From there, I let them cool and placed in the fridge (still wrapped), then sliced. Although they don't look juicy in the pic (due to being cold), the meat turned out extremely juicy and flavorful. Excited to continue with the AMNTS!

Attachments

• Chicken.jpg
    Chicken.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 84
  • Chicken 2.jpg
    Chicken 2.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 81
  • brisket prep.jpg
    brisket prep.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 82
  • brisket 3.jpg
    brisket 3.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 84
  • brisket 4.jpg
    brisket 4.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 84
Following up on the last few posts I made. Since then, I got fed up with the propane smoker. It was always something and I couldn't trust to take my eyes off it for too long. That said, I was able to sell the propane smoker for what I paid for it (got it on a good sale anyway). I then snagged a MES40 Gen 1.5 from Academy on sale, plus a coupon. Got the MES40 yesterday, and plan to season it tonight.

Any pointers for using my AMPTS in the MES40?

Brand new member, and mostly wet behind the smoking ears. I've been reading posts as time permits today and came across the A-MAZE-N thing and I'm curious, dos this just work by placing pellets in it, then lighting them directly? I will be using a home built (from wood) smoker that (from memory) is approx 40"X40"x48" inside with insulated walls. It was built to hang summer sausage and smoke in the winter. It's been several years but we have made some sausage and I remember it turning out well. I also have an old bread proofing box on wheels that I'd insulated that I'd like to use, it currently has an electric heat source with a blower that gently circulates air up a rear vent and discharges every 5-6". My short term plans are for 2-3lb summer sausage sticks as well as snack sticks. And, while typing this I've already gone 47 different ways in my mind... Forgive my rambling? Oh, yes... My heat source in the wood smoker was a burner from an outdoor deep fryer, I'm looking to come up with a set and forget method of maintaining temp. Best advice?

Yes Buf. The AMNPS is a maze that you load with flavor wood pellets, 3/8" from the top, light one end, letting the flame burn a couple minutes until you get a uniform solid Cherry of burning pellets. Blow out the flame and the AMNPS will generate a flavorful Thin Blue Smoke for the next 10 hours with no further attendance needed. For a quick heavy smoke, you can light both ends. The AMNPS will work in either smoker you described. Todd Johnson sells a wide variety of pellet flavors and runs frequent specials and contests...JJ

Reactions: Buf
Any pointers for using my AMPTS in the MES40?
I use the tube with a gen 1 mes30 . To much smoke to go inside the box , so I added a mail box . Works great . Also , I add a fine shred wood chip in the tube mixed with the pellets .
Have you tried it yet ? I'd like to know the results .

I use the tube with a gen 1 mes30 . To much smoke to go inside the box , so I added a mail box . Works great . Also , I add a fine shred wood chip in the tube mixed with the pellets .
Have you tried it yet ? I'd like to know the results .

I ran the MES40 with the tube inside, it produced quite a bit of smoke and seemed to burn a little quicker than it should. I think this is due to the heat inside the MES.

From there, I built a mailbox to run the tube in. It seemed to produce about the same smoke, maybe a little less. Although the tube did burn longer.

Lastly, I just purchased the AMPS 5x8 tray on black friday sale. Going to see how that operates compared to the tube in the mailbox. I think it will be much better.

What's the reason you put shredded wood with the pellets?

I still like having the tube and will probably use both for different reasons and cooking methods.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky