Tgiving Turkey transportation

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ttown

Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
I am trying to figure out the best way to store a turkey for Thanksgiving if I'm smoking it on Wednesday. I plan to brine it Tuesday night, smoke it all day Wednesday, then eat it on Thursday for Thanksgiving.

Does anyone have any suggestions to storing it over night and then reheating on Thursday before eating it without drying it out? I also have to drive it a couple hours Thursday morning to my parents house. Suggestions on what to keep it in while driving it over would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

If the turk is brined and then not over cooked, it should re-heat pretty well... I like to cook turks in the 12-14lb range. At this size, they will fit nicely in an aluminum half pan. I then take the wide plastic wrap from Sam's or Costco and wrap the birds...

If your cooking the day before, you are going to want to fridge it overnight... Next day, you can transport the wrapped and panned bird in a cooler etc. If the drive is just a couple of hours, I would just set the pan in a box (like an empty beer box) and let it come to room temp as you drive. As soon as you get to your destination get the bird, wrap and all, into a medium oven until just heated.

Good luck...
James.

I agree. If it were me, I'd cook it just shy of done on the smoker. Once you reach your destination, pop it into an oven and finish it out, foiled. It won't take too long, I don't think. Since you brined it, it'll be very moist.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky