Texas Is BACK!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That's one of their best ones. I was surprised when I found out about the 40%-60% too. Makes sense though, Abbott was the straight man, Costello got more laughs. But IMO they wouldn't have been as good alone. Together they were the best or one of the best comedy duos of all time. Laurel and Hardy were also great, but more physical comedy. A&C were physical and verbally funny. My Brothers and I still reference some of their bits and laugh out loud. Lou trying to pull car into a parking spot, Abbott looking from passenger seat directing him. Lou"Shall I backup?" Bud " Go ahead" Stuff like that never gets old, lol.

Now you just reminded me of my recently departed brother: R.I.P. "Jim"

We used Laurel & Hardy expression all the time:
Whenever we screwed up, or took a wrong turn while hunting or fishing, and ended up in the wrong valley, or a ways off from where we wanted to be, Jim would always look at Me & say, "This is a Fine Mess you've gotten us into Now, Stanley". That used to Crack me up!!!

Bear

Now you just reminded me of my recently departed brother: R.I.P. "Jim"

We used Laurel & Hardy expression all the time:
Whenever we screwed up, or took a wrong turn while hunting or fishing, and ended up in the wrong valley, or a ways off from where we wanted to be, Jim would always look at Me & say, "This is a Fine Mess you've gotten us into Now, Stanley". That used to Crack me up!!!

Bear
That's great. I like when Hardy is drinking water from a glass, Laurel asks "Do you know what time it is?" Hardy looks at hi watch which is the same hand he's drinking with and spills it all over himself. Those guys, A&C and the Marx Brothers are my personal favorites. Glad it evoked some good memories of your Brother.
R.I.P. Jim.

I personally think the whole idea of a "mandate" is questionable. It's mostly politics. How do you enforce it? I honestly don't know if Indiana has a mandate, but I very rarely see anyone without one and I'm sure it will continue. It's just common sense. What's open or not has been left to the counties to decide for themselves, just like mask "mandates". It's been slow and easy but it's coming around.
They're offering the vaccines now to 55 and older and 50 and older probably next week if not already. Anyone who wants one has already gotten it if they're in the age range (The Mrs got her second dose last Tuesday and I get mine Sunday). There doesn't appear to be a shortage, in fact I just read this morning that they're planning 17,000 doses of the Johnson & Johnson at the speedway this weekend. Drive through....

Reactions: MJB05615
I personally think the whole idea of a "mandate" is questionable. It's mostly politics. How do you enforce it? I honestly don't know if Indiana has a mandate, but I very rarely see anyone without one and I'm sure it will continue. It's just common sense. What's open or not has been left to the counties to decide for themselves, just like mask "mandates". It's been slow and easy but it's coming around.
They're offering the vaccines now to 55 and older and 50 and older probably next week if not already. Anyone who wants one has already gotten it if they're in the age range (The Mrs got her second dose last Tuesday and I get mine Sunday). There doesn't appear to be a shortage, in fact I just read this morning that they're planning 17,000 doses of the Johnson & Johnson at the speedway this weekend. Drive through....
I agree, common sense. That's why I'm flabbergasted at the number of people that simply refuse to wear it.
This defiance amazes me to no end. I have seen more people wearing them lately, but not all. And like I mentioned in an earlier reply, hardly anyone at the Youth Leagues are wearing them, including those in charge. If the people in charge would wear them, it would set an example and maybe get more people to wear them. Those not wearing them are all different people, Old, Young, people of Color, etc. I don't get it.
Can't they realize that the more they wear the masks will reduce the timeframe that we'll have to wear them in the future and get back to a "normal" world with no masks? The vaccine age here in Ga is still 65 +. We're waiting til they lower it, hopefully soon. I'm also trying to get in to see my Family Doctor and find out if we are compromised enough for an exception and get ours now.

I agree, common sense. That's why I'm flabbergasted at the number of people that simply refuse to wear it.
This defiance amazes me to no end. I have seen more people wearing them lately, but not all. And like I mentioned in an earlier reply, hardly anyone at the Youth Leagues are wearing them, including those in charge. If the people in charge would wear them, it would set an example and maybe get more people to wear them. Those not wearing them are all different people, Old, Young, people of Color, etc. I don't get it.
Can't they realize that the more they wear the masks will reduce the timeframe that we'll have to wear them in the future and get back to a "normal" world with no masks? The vaccine age here in Ga is still 65 +. We're waiting til they lower it, hopefully soon. I'm also trying to get in to see my Family Doctor and find out if we are compromised enough for an exception and get ours now.

Exactly, seeing the leaders wearing masks should help. Also seeing leaders getting Vaccinated always seems to help convince the ones who aren't sure if they want to get one. We even just found out the Previous President & his Wife got vaccinated in January, just before he left. He just didn't tell anybody.

Now they're racking up 2 million vaccinations a day, hopefully we can outrun those Variants.

Bear

Lou"Shall I backup?" Bud " Go ahead" Stuff like that never gets old, lol.
LOL . No question on that . Hilarious . I love the one where they are stuck on the boat and they find the bean . Lou sits down like he's having a 5 course meal . Any of the haunted ones or meet a monster are great . What was the " Hat company " one ? I'm laughing just thinking about it .

The difference in the population may be a factor, but I believe the ISDH has been on top of it.
Hoping you get it soon. It really is a load off your mind...

Reactions: Bearcarver
One interesting good-news/bad news impact of people wearing masks and washing hands: massive drop in flu rates. Here's an excerpt from the Harvard School of Public Health;

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recently reported that it had logged 1,316 positive flu cases in its surveillance network between September 2020 and the end of January 2021. During that same period last year, the CDC had recorded nearly 130,000 cases.

The bad news is my daily tracking numbers show the number of new Covid cases in that period in the US at 20,667,191 and 267,560 deaths.

The overall daily death rate in the US hasn't really changed that much, actually. 2019 (8782 daily deaths) to 2021 projections (8977 daily deaths) only show an increase of 195 daily deaths. And those numbers are still below the daily death rates of over 9000 that existed in all tracking years prior to 1977.

The cause of death has changed, though, with covid replacing the drop in car accidents, flu, etc, and accounting for the increase. In 2021, Covid has become the #1 cause of death surpassing heart disease, cancer, and all other health-related deaths.

Relax our efforts? Nope. I can gamble my life with drunk/bad drivers, risk-controlled activities, and long-term choices concerning eating/drinking/smoking/exercise. I don't want to gamble my life by merely grocery shopping, pumping gas, hugging a family member/friend, or shaking someone's hand. I wear a mask AND gloves. I wear 5 mil nitriles that are washed, sterilized, and reused after a couple weeks. I keep them separate and only use them when going out.

Vaccinations, masks, hand washing, and social distancing will help get things back to normal where all we have to worry about are drunk drivers, texting drivers, and bad life choices. A virus is oblivious to personal beliefs, desires, and Covid-fatigue. It is an opportunistic hunter looking for any available host to reproduce. Be safe, be smart, and don't wander into its sights. Get vaccinated so if you do become it's target, your body will neutralize it.

Relax our efforts? Nope. I can gamble my life with drunk/bad drivers, risk-controlled activities, and long-term choices concerning eating/drinking/smoking/exercise. I don't want to gamble my life by merely grocery shopping, pumping gas, hugging a family member/friend, or shaking someone's hand. I wear a mask AND gloves. I wear 5 mil nitriles that are washed, sterilized, and reused after a couple weeks. I keep them separate and only use them when going out.

Vaccinations, masks, hand washing, and social distancing will help get things back to normal where all we have to worry about are drunk drivers, texting drivers, and bad life choices. A virus is oblivious to personal beliefs, desires, and Covid-fatigue. It is an opportunistic hunter looking for any available host to reproduce. Be safe, be smart, and don't wander into its sights. Get vaccinated so if you do become it's target, your body will neutralize it.
100% AGREE. Couldn't put it better myself.

Reactions: noboundaries
LOL . No question on that . Hilarious . I love the one where they are stuck on the boat and they find the bean . Lou sits down like he's having a 5 course meal . Any of the haunted ones or meet a monster are great . What was the " Hat company " one ? I'm laughing just thinking about it .
Susquahannah Hat Company. LMAO just thinking about that.

Reactions: chopsaw
They also did similar bit with Niagra Falls, slowly I turn, etc. if you remember.

Reactions: chopsaw
This defiance amazes me to no end.
here is what I feel has caused a butt load of problems. mjb did not call anyone out by name. he is entitled to his opinion as much as anyone. I only wear a mask at work because they force it and I have to have an income. I have to go to doctor so I wear it if they force. otherwise I choose not to. so does that mean I have no common sense? overwhelming in my circle of friends, work and family masks are not worn in household, spouse gets it but partner remains negative but yet share a bed. child gets it but siblings and parents remain negative. that is the norm in my area and leads me to the opinion that this is catagious but not as bad as some say and has created an unwarranted amount of fear . there are exceptions to it but far and large has been the norm. also know of 2 cases of masks and distance kept, one family the other was religious gathering and both had multiple cases come from the gathering. simple hand washing and good hygiene would keep this under control are my thoughts. I did not take mjb to heart or feel like the post insults me. but many do and that is what creates these riffs. opinions are free, everyone is entitled to one. no one can prove their opinion only justify it. not fighting just pointing out how easy an opinion can start conflict. I respect his and everyone's else. I love to debate them.
yes with in my circle I have seen CV19 deaths. but far and large it has been mild flu like to sniffles, with some knocked down hard cases but recovered.

Reactions: yankee2bbq
They also did similar bit with Niagra Falls, slowly I turn, etc. if you remember.

I thought A & C did that one too, but a Search says that was the 3 Stooges.
I could have sworn Abbot & Costello did it too:
"Slowly I turned, Step by Step, Inch by Inch....................

Bear

I thought A & C did that one too, but a Search says that was the 3 Stooges.
I could have sworn Abbot & Costello did it too:
"Slowly I turned, Step by Step, Inch by Inch....................

Bear
I think you are correct, The Three Stooges did Niagra Falls. It seems like an A&C bit though. Both very funny. I forgot to include the Stooges in my top 5 list of comedy favs. Thanks for checking.

here is what I feel has caused a butt load of problems. mjb did not call anyone out by name. he is entitled to his opinion as much as anyone. I only wear a mask at work because they force it and I have to have an income. I have to go to doctor so I wear it if they force. otherwise I choose not to. so does that mean I have no common sense? overwhelming in my circle of friends, work and family masks are not worn in household, spouse gets it but partner remains negative but yet share a bed. child gets it but siblings and parents remain negative. that is the norm in my area and leads me to the opinion that this is catagious but not as bad as some say and has created an unwarranted amount of fear . there are exceptions to it but far and large has been the norm. also know of 2 cases of masks and distance kept, one family the other was religious gathering and both had multiple cases come from the gathering. simple hand washing and good hygiene would keep this under control are my thoughts. I did not take mjb to heart or feel like the post insults me. but many do and that is what creates these riffs. opinions are free, everyone is entitled to one. no one can prove their opinion only justify it. not fighting just pointing out how easy an opinion can start conflict. I respect his and everyone's else. I love to debate them.
yes with in my circle I have seen CV19 deaths. but far and large it has been mild flu like to sniffles, with some knocked down hard cases but recovered.
First, let me state that I, in no way was trying to insult anyone, or imply that anyone here didn't use common sense. I don't know who does and who does not wear masks from these posts, unless someone specifies. I was simply stating my opinion in General. Simply as a response to previous thoughts expressed here in earlier replies on this thread. I'm very surprised to hear this has caused any riffs among any members, that was not my intention whatsoever. I've been a member here for nearly 3 years, and rarely chime in on anything like this, and never anything political. You'll notice I never use the word "political" or any variation of it. The main reason I look forward to this Forum daily is because there are no politics or BS in that area, like there are on so many other internet sites. I stopped FB and pretty much do not watch the news anymore because it was killing me inside. I only watch Local News for the weather and Sports info.
Most days, I cannot wait to get on here and see what's going on in this Community. It rejuvenates me, literally, and puts me in a good mood to start the day. (which usually lasts until I come across the first driver, lol)
I agree with a lot of what you said, but I hope you understand my intention was not meant as an insult in any way. For what it's worth, I find the mask very uncomfortable, and I'm overweight and smoke, so I need all of the breathing help I can get, lol.

Reactions: phathead69
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky