Texas hot links on my NEW TOY!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Love reading your posts Al. Like!

I was looking at that set-up, and the hickory splits...and was wondering. How would that work with rib-eye steaks?

Love reading your posts Al. Like!

I was looking at that set-up, and the hickory splits...and was wondering. How would that work with rib-eye steaks?

I think it would be the perfect setup for any steak. I have some Prime rib bones from Christmas that I'm going to do today, there are only 4 bones, so I'm going to do some Kielbasa too. I'm trying to learn the grill before I put one of my dry aged ribeyes on it. But so far it has been fantastic. Last night I cooked a spatched chicken & it was the best chicken I have ever made. My wife & her girl friend tore into it like they hadn't eaten in 2 days. It was gone in about 15 minutes. If I can get the photo's downloaded to my computer, I'll do a thread on it. I highly recommend this unit, meat cooked over an open wood fire with the drippings sizzling in the fire & the ability to control the temp by raising & lowering the grate make this a must have if you have a kettle. Even if you don't have a kettle, it would be a good reason to buy one!
Al

Hey Al, does it also go low into the kettle?

I was just thinking the other day that I'd buy one of those SM add-ons if it were able to get my burgers and steaks closer to the coals for searing.

What a fun day. Cheers!

I was just thinking the other day that I'd buy one of those SM add-ons if it were able to get my burgers and steaks closer to the coals for searing.

What a fun day. Cheers!
You would have to chop the grate tabs and put on a longer steep cable. Easily done!

AL, Nice toy, looks like a great one!

Thanks CM!
Al

What a fun day. Cheers!

As you can see ammaturesmoker knows a lot about these grills!
He is the one who got me interested in getting one in the first place!

You would have to chop the grate tabs and put on a longer steep cable. Easily done!

So far I haven't needed to get the grate any lower for searing, but maybe that's because I'm building a big fire.
Don't know, still playing with it!
I have some 45 day dry aged ribeyes just begging for a trip to the SM.
Al

Thanks CM!
Al

As you can see ammaturesmoker knows a lot about these grills!
He is the one who got me interested in getting one in the first place!

So far I haven't needed to get the grate any lower for searing, but maybe that's because I'm building a big fire.
Don't know, still playing with it!
I have some 45 day dry aged ribeyes just begging for a trip to the SM.
Al

Al.....SM makes a mean steak....you won't ever go back to having steak made any other way. My online friend Phil here makes some mouth watering ribeyes.

Ok Al and/or santa Maria attachment owners...

I ask the following questions. I'm hemming and hawing on the replacement for my current gas grill, which on one hand I'm in love with, but on the other hand...

A) desperately needs replacing.

B) may or may not pretty much only be used by the missus to cook BNLS/SKNLS ckn breast and the rare finer cut of steak by me.

So, I won't bore with you with my considerations, just know that there's a certain attraction the the Weber kettle like pretty.much ONLY because of this Gabby grill attachment. My long winded question is:

How does wind affect this item, and what are your coal lighting strategies?

Ergo, how many coals are you lighting to cook.... (Whatever) and does the wind play a role between top of fire and bottom of the Santa Maria attachment?

I usually light about 1/2 chimney of coals to establish a coal bed, from then on I use small oak or hickory splits for the actual cooking fire.
I have mine in a spot where the wind really is not a problem, but if you have the grate up a few inches & the wind is blowing hard right at the grill, I would think it would take a lot of the heat away.
But in that case I think you could just lower the grate some to compensate for the wind. ammaturesmoker ammaturesmoker is the real expert on these grills, so if he doesn't see this, just PM him.
Al

Reactions: fivetricks
Ok Al and/or santa Maria attachment owners...

I ask the following questions. I'm hemming and hawing on the replacement for my current gas grill, which on one hand I'm in love with, but on the other hand...

A) desperately needs replacing.

B) may or may not pretty much only be used by the missus to cook BNLS/SKNLS ckn breast and the rare finer cut of steak by me.

So, I won't bore with you with my considerations, just know that there's a certain attraction the the Weber kettle like pretty.much ONLY because of this Gabby grill attachment. My long winded question is:

How does wind affect this item, and what are your coal lighting strategies?

Ergo, how many coals are you lighting to cook.... (Whatever) and does the wind play a role between top of fire and bottom of the Santa Maria attachment?

No problem here boys.....just like any smoker, wind can have an impact....luckily though Weber provides some help. If you have a Master Touch or a Performer, all you need to do is put the lid on the lid holder and turn the top of the lid which is now vertical to the direction the wind is coming from. If your Weber unit does not have the lid holder, your lid should have a hanging hook on the inside. You will simply hang it on the grill grate of the attachment and again turn it to the wind and have the wind go around it.

Reactions: fivetricks
No problem here boys.....just like any smoker, wind can have an impact....luckily though Weber provides some help. If you have a Master Touch or a Performer, all you need to do is put the lid on the lid holder and turn the top of the lid which is now vertical to the direction the wind is coming from. If your Weber unit does not have the lid holder, your lid should have a hanging hook on the inside. You will simply hang it on the grill grate of the attachment and again turn it to the wind and have the wind go around it.

Thanks Buddy!
I knew you would have an answer!
Al

That rig looks good Al. May try to get one!

Thanks, you won't be disappointed!
Al

why not just leave your factory grate under the SM unit and use the factory grate for the sear and the SM grate for the adjusted cooking heights? wouldnt the SM grate drop out of the side supports that it runs up and down on if it were lowered below the top of the kettle?

why not just leave your factory grate under the SM unit and use the factory grate for the sear and the SM grate for the adjusted cooking heights? wouldnt the SM grate drop out of the side supports that it runs up and down on if it were lowered below the top of the kettle?

You could do that, but there is no need to get the grate that low. Remember you burning wood splits & you have a much bigger fire. The stock setup goes plenty low enough to sear any piece of meat.
Al

I agree with Al....really not needed....I have run the two grate thing before but mainly for like putting potatoes and such on it. This is one of those things that you need to try and then you'd understand.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky