1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Texas hot links on my NEW TOY!!

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by SmokinAl, Feb 1, 2019.

1. SmokinAl

SmokinAl SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Well thanks to @ammaturesmoker I finally bought a Gabby's grill Santa Maria attachment for my Weber kettle. About all I can say is "Why did I wait so long". This thing is really cool!
    It's very well built & is a lot of fun to use. I had to season it first, so I thought as long as there is a fire in there, how about some Texas hot links for lunch. I already had the Smoke Vault going with an eye of round pastrami in it, the weather was perfect for sitting by an open fire & it was about lunch time! So popped open a cold one & built a fire with some charcoal to start it, then a bunch of small hickory splits!
    1.jpg

I love the way the meat juices drip on the fire & come back up as flavor!

2.jpg

The old SV is puffing away in the background!

3.jpg

It really did a nice job on the sausages, I like mine with plenty of onions & mustard!

4.jpg

The fire is burned down & it will be an easy cleanup. I'm already thinking about what to put on it next!

5.jpg

As a side note the pastrami was in the smoker to an IT of 130, then into the SV for 20 hours at 132.

6.JPG

OK, I'm off to the store to see what I can find. I know Tri-tip would be perfect, but it's very hard to find around here. So I'm thinking maybe a spatchcocked chicken for a little more practice. Cheap & hard to screw up!
    Thanks for looking guys!
    Al

2. weedeater

weedeater Smoking Fanatic ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Al you’ve got way too many TOYS in your yard. Glad your liking the latest addition.

Weedeater

3. gmc2003

gmc2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

That looks really good Al, Looking forward to the next adventure(s).

Point for sure
    Chris

4. SonnyE

SonnyE Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Al, That is cool as a pocket on a shirt!
    Makes me want to get a Kettle so I'll have an excuse. :emoji_anguished:

5. jbellard

jbellard Smoking Fanatic

Very nice grill and wonderful patio/porch area to enjoy the smoking from.

6. motocrash

motocrash Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Nice maiden cook with the Santa Maria on the omnipotent kettle.I believe you are the king of kettle accoutrements,which is a very good thing to be!

7. Bearcarver

Bearcarver SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster OTBS Member

Cool Toy, Al !!
    I like your New Toy better than my New Toy!!
    I've liked those "Santa Maria" things ever since I saw pics of a real big one at some famous Restaurant on "DDD".
    Up here if I wanted to sit outside, around the open fire, I'd need 4 of them, and I could sit in the middle to keep warm!!
    Looks like a lot of fun, Al !!
    Like.

Bear

8. nepas

nepas Legendary Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Nice

9. ammaturesmoker

ammaturesmoker Smoking Fanatic

love SM style.....all I can say is don't knock it until you try it....it becomes so addicting of a method to cook.

10. oldsmokerdude

oldsmokerdude Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Love your new "it's a tool, not a toy". But I gotta say, I'm more envious of the weather there. Is that green stuff I see in the background? It's a balmy 7 degrees here in Northern IN and I need to shovel about 14 inches of snow to get to my smoker "tools".

11. chopsaw

chopsaw Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Very cool . Fun to have options ,,

12. Smoke23

Smoke23 Smoking Fanatic

Very cool!

13. tropics

tropics Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Al they look good super busy getting moved.
    Richie

14. ksblazer

ksblazer Meat Mopper

I remember reading a thread about this santa maria grill. It was just another reason why I decided to go with a Weber grill.

Texas hot links sound good. I bought some hot links last week to smoke up soon.

Glad to hear the Santa Maria is working well so far. Look forwarard to reading about more grilling you do on it in the future too.

I hope to purchase one of these by summer time.

15. SmokinVOLfan

SmokinVOLfan Smoking Fanatic

Love the new toy. Hot links and cold beer look great too!

Use my smoke vault all the time...looks exactly like yours with some wear on it

16. hardcookin

hardcookin Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Al
    like the new grill...looks like some really good eats.
    Nice set up!!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  17. indaswamp

indaswamp Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Nice. I love texas hot links on a bun! And I too pile the onions on high!

BTW, Your sous vide container...
    [​IMG]

I use a small travel (coleman with a carry handle) ice chest with a hole cut in the top just big enough for the sous vide machine to fit into. The insulation really helps to keep an even heat....

Looking forward to the pastrami pics. I want to take some of my goose pastrami and sous vide it for like 36 hours @ 132*. I'll bet it'll be tender!!!!

18. SmokinAl

SmokinAl SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Yep, it's always fun to play with something new!
    Al

Thanks Chris!
    I'm gonna fire it up again today, but probably just a spatched chicken & maybe some beef ribs.
    It looks like another perfect day for smoking!
    Al

I'd go for it Sonny!
    You can pick up a kettle for next to nothing!
    Al

Thank you, living in Florida does have it's advantages!
    Al

Thanks, yea they make so many things that go with a kettle, it's hard not to buy them all!
    However this thing is really built well, it's like a Lang, it will probably outlast me!
    Al

Thanks John!
    I've been looking at them for quite a while & glad I finally pulled the trigger.
    It's hard not to like food cooked over an open wood fire!
    Al

Thanks Rick!!
    Al

Well as you know, your the reason I bought this thing, and I'm very happy with the quality & the flavor of cooking over an open wood fire! Thanks again for all the threads you did with one of these grills!
    Al

Thanks Buddy!
    We have had some cold weather here too, but the last couple of days have been beautiful. But you shovel snow in the winter & I have to cut the grass all year long!
    Al

Thanks!
    I'm going to have to build an extension on my patio!
    Al

Thank you!!
    Al

Thanks Richie!
    Where are you moving to?
    Al

Thank you!
    All I can say is you won't be disappointed if you get one!
    Al

Thanks!
    Yea the old Smoke Vault just keeps chugging along, I rebuilt it about 3 years ago, with a new burner assy, chip pan, drip pan, & water pan. It was really inexpensive for all those parts & it works just like new!
    Al

Thanks Doug!
    It's gonna be fun to play with, I hope my Lang doesn't get upset!
    Al

Thank you!
    I have thought about doing the cooler thing, but my SV is a 1200 watt model & it holds the temp very evenly. I actually have 2 of them so I can do 2 different things at different temps at the same time. However with the cooler mod I would have a lot more room. Sounds like a rainy day project!
    Al

ksblazer likes this.
  19. seenred

seenred Legendary Pitmaster Group Lead OTBS Member

Lookin’ good Al...I’m digging your new toy! I might need to check into one of those myself...

Red

20. SmokinAl

Thanks Red!
    You won't regret buying one, I just did a chicken on it last night & it was the best chicken I have ever cooked!
    Al