Test Bird

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

un4gvn1

Original poster
Dec 5, 2014
Junction City, Oregon
I decided I needed "proof of concept" with the smoke tube & Traeger combo. Picked up a 12lb "nothing special" bird a while back. It's been thawed for at least a few days, so, Sunday was the day.

IMG-1593.jpg

Spatchcock, I didn't brine this one simply to keep things easy.

Spice prep was Garlic Lover's Garlic (get some of this stuff if you haven't tried it) in melted butter, brushed liberally on all surfaces, followed by a sprinkling of Johnny's.

IMG-1592.jpg

It took a little figuring & fussing to get the tube to stay burning in the Traeger, I finally got it working when I laid it along the back wall at the far edge of the grill grate. The bird took up most of the rest of the grate surface.

Cooked at 375* to try to get edible skin.

Roughly 2 hrs later...

IMG-1595.jpg

We were hungry, so I didn't get any sliced pics. Suffice it to say, I'm doing another Thurs morning for the family gathering. It took on enough smoke to add to the flavor profile without being overbearing. I'm calling this a success.

Reactions: zwiller and gmc2003
Good looking bird you've got there.

Point for sure.
Chris

Nice looking bird! That Garlic seasoning looks good, I'll have to see if I can get me some.

Thanks! I will have to give it a try. Too bad I can't get it in time to try on my Turkey.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky