1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Test Bird

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by un4gvn1, Nov 20, 2018.

1. I decided I needed "proof of concept" with the smoke tube & Traeger combo. Picked up a 12lb "nothing special" bird a while back. It's been thawed for at least a few days, so, Sunday was the day.

[​IMG]

Spatchcock, I didn't brine this one simply to keep things easy.

Spice prep was Garlic Lover's Garlic (get some of this stuff if you haven't tried it) in melted butter, brushed liberally on all surfaces, followed by a sprinkling of Johnny's.

[​IMG]

It took a little figuring & fussing to get the tube to stay burning in the Traeger, I finally got it working when I laid it along the back wall at the far edge of the grill grate. The bird took up most of the rest of the grate surface.

Cooked at 375* to try to get edible skin.

Roughly 2 hrs later...

[​IMG]

We were hungry, so I didn't get any sliced pics. Suffice it to say, I'm doing another Thurs morning for the family gathering. It took on enough smoke to add to the flavor profile without being overbearing. I'm calling this a success.

zwiller and gmc2003 like this.
  2. chopsaw

chopsaw Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Nice color on the bird , and points for doing a test run .

3. pc farmer

pc farmer Epic Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

That looks really good

4. 5GRILLZNTN

5GRILLZNTN Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Looks like you proved your concept. That looks awesome!

5. redheelerdog

redheelerdog Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Great Idea! Nice job on the prototype!

6. gmc2003

gmc2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Good looking bird you've got there.

Point for sure.
    Chris

7. jakester

jakester Meat Mopper

Nice looking bird! That Garlic seasoning looks good, I'll have to see if I can get me some.

8. I meant to include a link in my first post...
    http://www.spiceman.com/

Enjoy!

9. jakester

jakester Meat Mopper

Thanks! I will have to give it a try. Too bad I can't get it in time to try on my Turkey.

10. zwiller

zwiller Master of the Pit OTBS Member

That's the key right there: just a kiss of smoke.