Tender ribs or bust!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

blsjds

Original poster
Dec 29, 2016
Hi - 

My name is Dan and I'm new to the world of smoking.  I'm 46 and live in NY with my wife and kids.  I like riding dirt bikes and hunting / shooting.

I converted an original 22" Weber kettle grill to be my smoker and I've been trying to perfect smoking pork loin back ribs.  Flavor has been really good, but the tenderness has eluded me thus far, so I figured I'd join up and search for tips.

I recently installed the Party Q temp control fan, but am still having problems with getting them tender.

Thanks in advance for any help & tips!

Dan

Welcome to the forum Dan!

Glad to have you with us!

If your looking for fall off the bone (FOTB) ribs, then it's very easy to achieve that.

Smoke your ribs as usual for about 3 hours or until the internal meat temp. (IT) is 165.

Then wrap the ribs in foil with some liquid, you don't need much, 1/4 cup.

Leave them in the foil for 1 to 1/2 hours or until the IT is around 200 degrees.

Then take them out of the foil & put them back on the grate for about 1/2 hour.

Look in my signature line & click on Perfect ribs, it may give you some ideas.

Good luck!

Al

Howdy Dan,

Normally if ribs are not tender it means that they are under cooked. If you are running your pit around 225-250 they ribs you are cooking should take 5-6 hours.

The method Al describes is a modification of what's known as the 3-2-1 method. It is used for large cuts of pork ribs and beef ribs. For baby backs most use the 2-2-1 method.

In both methods the middle section is in essence a braise. This helps break down the connective tissues and will render more of the fats creating a more tender product.

Keep in mind that you can get a nice rib without any foiling. You just have to make sure and cook long enough. I personally do not foil. I cook my ribs straight through right on the grate.

Lately I have been cranking the pit up to 325. The higher temp will produce a good rib in about 90 minutes.

There's lots of info here and the search feature works great. I'd suggest typing in 3-2-1 or 2-2-1 into the search box and start reading.

Al & dirtsailor - 

Thank you so much for helping me out!

Based on what you said, and what I've read, I was definitely not smoking them long enough; they were under cooked.  The meat was JUST barely starting to pull off the bone, even after being out there for about 6 hours.  My temp was fairly steady, but only at about 200 degrees.  And I was not wrapping them in foil after the first 2-3 hours.

So now I'm going to try the 2-2-1 method for the baby back ribs.

One more question about the 3-2-1 or 2-2-1 methods:

Do I keep the temperature steady (at 225 - 250) throughout all 3 stages?

Thank you very much!

Dan

Thank you!  I can't wait to give this method a try, although my family might be getting a little tired of ribs ha ha.

texas.gif
  Good afternoon and welcome to the forum from a cloudy cool day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of                   great people with tons of information on just about everything.

Gary

Well, I made a test run yesterday using the 3-2-1 method and the tips you guys gave me...

All I can say is WOW!!  The ribs were really tender, really juicy, and my family said they were the best ever ha ha.

Actually, the meat probably came off the bone too easily, but I'll take that.

Thanks again!!

Dan

You do know   
th_nopicsye3.gif
     Everybody loves to see Pictures

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky