Tender Pork Chops

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mcokevin

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 18, 2016
Orlando FL
I cooked pork chops for the first time in years a couple of weeks ago and wasn't happy with how they came out. So I looked for a good reminder of technique and found this recipe from Epicurious. Didn't follow it to the letter, but turned out great. The butter and basting at the end is brilliant.

Reactions: 912smoker
I like pork chops, but regardless of what I do, they come out very tough.

I cooked a couple 1 inch chops last night and was disappointed. I marinated them for 5 hours -- oil, garlic, onion, salt, pepper, paprika, Worcester, balsamic vinegar -- then seared them in a cast iron pan on my grill. After searing, their IT was around 120, so I left them on the grill and cooked them indirectly. After 10 minutes the IT was over 160 -- too hot according to the article you link.

The chops were quite flavorful due to the marinade, but they were as tough as shoe leather. I have a couple more to cook. It seems like the obvious thing to do is to be very careful about IT and pull them at 135-145 and then let them rest for awhile.

I've tried wet brining chops with no luck. I've not yet tried dry-brining. I wonder if a better approach is to dry brine, apply a rub and simply smoke the chops low and slow.

• Haha
Reactions: negolien
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky