Tell me my cheese will be better in a month

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wnctracker

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 24, 2016
Western North Carolina
Obviously my first cheese attempt here....
I used my camp chef SV 24
Placed amazen tube on the chip tray using b&b hickory.
I put jack and pepper jack cheese in the middle of the smoker and the temp was about 50-60 degrees the whole time.
Smoked it 4 hours flipping at 2. I tasted it and it tastes unpleasant. Not like creosote though. I vacuum sealed it and put into my fridge for a month in hopes it's going to be more palatable. Is this to be expected with cheese?

Your cheese will be better in a month. Better yet in 6 weeks. That is quite normal. The cheese needs time to equalize the smoke flavour.

Another thing to do is after you smoke it let it rest in the fridge over night. The dry it with paper towels then vacuum seal. Do a ton of it and let it sit in the fridge. I have some I’m opened this last weekend that’s over a year old and was amazing.

Of course it's going to get better, because you are going to get better at it. ;)
Keep gettin cheese, and trying times until you find what you like coming out.
You do realise, you will be doing a LOT of taste testing along the way.
It's torture, :eek:... but you just have to bite the cheese to find your way...

My cheddar got too hot last try.
I was a bad boy. I ate it anyway.
Tasted good to me! :D It's all gone.
I ate the evidence. ;)

Yep. Just leave your cheese sit for any where from 2 to 8 weeks and it should mellow out nicely. It is possible to smoke cheese and eat it right away but I've never managed to accoplish that feat.
Yiu simply won't believe the difference a few weeks will make.
Gary

Reactions: SonnyE
Yep. Just leave your cheese sit for any where from 2 to 8 weeks and it should mellow out nicely. It is possible to smoke cheese and eat it right away but I've never managed to accoplish that feat.
Yiu simply won't believe the difference a few weeks will make.
Gary

How do you guys wait?
I just don't have that much will power. LOL!

Reactions: 73saint
Another thing to do is after you smoke it let it rest in the fridge over night. The dry it with paper towels then vacuum seal. Do a ton of it and let it sit in the fridge. I have some I’m opened this last weekend that’s over a year old and was amazing.
when you do this do you just let it sit uncovered in the fridge? So I shouldn't have vacuumed it right away?

If using your house fridge I would suggest lightly covering the cheese so it doesn't pick up any other flavors.

Chris

Agree with GMC. If using house fridge lightly cover. I have a separate fridge in my garage so I leave it uncovered.

wait...

1 year - really I would think it would be moldy and gross .... How can this work?

In case anybody's interested, Here's Bear's findings:
Some say wait 2 weeks, some say 6 weeks or longer.
I find 2 weeks is plenty of time to wait, but when I smoke anything I use a light smoke.
Those who use a Heavy (Thick) Smoke will have to wait much longer for the cheese to mellow out.
So that's why there are so many different opinions on how long to wait after smoking cheese, before eating it.

Bear

1. Bring cheese to room temperature before putting in the smoker
2. Let cheese sit out on a cooling rack covered for a day after smoking
3. DO NOT wipe off any oils that are on the surface!
4. Minimize handling of the cheese (try to keep it sterile so to speak)
5. Vacuum seal cheese or better yet- invest in waxing.
6. And, whatever you do, just don't EVER put cheese in the freezer.

Reactions: 73saint
Al- I think I might rest it in the fridge too if I lived in your neck of the woods.. <wink>.
I have found that keeping it out on the counter just loosely covered with a kitchen towel tented over it worked better for me. I notice more oils will come to the surface if I cool in the fridge versus on the counter. It then gets sealed while still at the same temperature, then it goes into the fridge.

1. Bring cheese to room temperature before putting in the smoker
2. Let cheese sit out on a cooling rack covered for a day after smoking
3. DO NOT wipe off any oils that are on the surface!
4. Minimize handling of the cheese (try to keep it sterile so to speak)
5. Vacuum seal cheese or better yet- invest in waxing.
6. And, whatever you do, just don't EVER put cheese in the freezer.

There isn't one correct way to smoke cheese. Everyone has their method of what works best for them.

1 - I've found cooler cheese will take on a stronger smoke flavor then room temperature cheese will. Room temperature is best for serving cheese.
2 - Letting it rest a day on the counter is a tad long. A few hours will produce the same results. After the counter rest I let sit overnight lightly covered in the fridge to firm up.
3 - I've always wiped off the oils or cheese sweats post smoking. I believe it helps reduce chance of mold and other nasties.
4 - Agreed, once in the smoker I handle cheese with tongs only.
5 - Agreed
6 - Agreed freezing cheese will change the texture. If you like crumbly cheese then go ahead and freeze.

Chris

There isn't one correct way to smoke cheese. Everyone has their method of what works best for them.

Agreed!

On #1 the idea is to prevent a rapid temperature CHANGE from cold to a warmer smoker. This is to prevent sweating of the cheese to begin with.
on #2, I should have said "overnight". But it does benefit longer than a couple of hours.
#3 I will have to respectfully disagree. You will introduce more contaminates and nasties as you called them, with whatever you wipe your cheese with. This is doing more harm than good. Besides, that oil didn't do anything to you! See #4.

I do mine all wrong, and I LIKE it.
If anybody wants to email me some samples, I'd be glad to agree or disagree. ;)
I'm the only one I have to impress.

Last time I made wine, it was some POWERFUL vinegar.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky