Tell me my cheese will be better in a month

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks Chris!
Trying to interject a little mirth and merriment. ;)

I've had one form or another of a smoke box since I was in my wee side of my 20's.
There is no evidence of a bad batch.
I ate them and nobody would recognise them after that. :p

Agreed!
#3 I will have to respectfully disagree. You will introduce more contaminates and nasties as you called them, with whatever you wipe your cheese with. This is doing more harm than good. Besides, that oil didn't do anything to you! See #4.

Droplets on the cheese are not necessarily oil. I don't get any sweating when I smoke, but water droplets form after removing from the smoker. If I don't remove them, then I get mold growing on the vac sealed cheese.

Yes. You are right That can happen too if you have a rapid temperature change coming out of the smoker and especially if going into a fridge. A typical fridge is riddled with bactieria! Probably 100's of times more than sitting on your counter. So keep it isolated to air dry a bit (let them evaporate!) then seal it before refrigerating.

wait...

1 year - really I would think it would be moldy and gross .... How can this work?
Hey Zippy,

My buddy that taught me to smoke cheese broke out some cheese that was vacuum sealed over 5 yrs ago and it was amazing. If you take care of the process and seal it correctly it will last. He also had some cheese that he wax dipped that was over 15 yrs old. Wow that stuff was amazing. It’s like a fine aged wine.

Reactions: zippy12
Yes. You are right That can happen too if you have a rapid temperature change coming out of the smoker and especially if going into a fridge. A typical fridge is riddled with bactieria! Probably 100's of times more than sitting on your counter. So keep it isolated to air dry a bit (let them evaporate!) then seal it before refrigerating.

Well, it sounds like you are using higher temperatures than I would. I've gone to great lengths to cool my smoke for cheeses and almonds. (Like, 8' of aluminum tube stretched out).
Aren't you being a bit left? Refrigeration is used to inhibit bacteria, no harbor it. 100s of times more? Maybe you need to clean out the fridge more?
Anything on my counters is subject to gaseous emissions. Our little dog can clear a room by himself.
And we routinely freeze cheeses. I cut a 5 pound block into smaller blocks, package and freeze. Except for my gnawing, it gets grated and used in recipes, mostly.

Umm, rich and flavorful, complex with the tastes of fruit-woods and maple, with a hint of Hickory, and lingering tinge of dog farts....
Goes well with white wines, but can be appreciated with varietals to hearty reds....

I have stored my smoked cheese for up to 3 years. If it is vacuum packed with a good seal, it will keep for as long as you want. I have also had some freeze unintentionally with no effect IMHO.

The longest I ever kept any was about a year.
I found 2 to 4 weeks to be much better than 1 week. However 3, 6, or 9 months, or a year were good, but IMHO no better than 4 weeks.
I froze a small chunk one time, and it did effect it. It's hard to explain, but it seemed to be kind of crumbly after having been frozen. I wouldn't do it again.
Just a Bear's 2 Piasters,

Bear

I agree that it may not improve that much. My point was that if it is packaged correctly, it will keep. As far as quality after freezing goes, it would not surprise me if it depended on the kind of cheese.

I agree that it may not improve that much. My point was that if it is packaged correctly, it will keep. As far as quality after freezing goes, it would not surprise me if it depended on the kind of cheese.

It probably does matter which cheese you do whatever with, but I haven't smoked & Froze that many different kinds to know that.
However my comment wasn't directed at anything any one person has said---Only my 2 Piasters.

Bear

I smoked cheese 1 time . Did as suggested , rest , wipe clean and vac . I did take a taste ,, hmm . Into fridge ,,, and forgot about it until last week . Dated January of 2017 . The cheddar got devoured . So good . The rest is mozzarella .
Might try it on a pizza .

I smoked cheese 1 time . Did as suggested , rest , wipe clean and vac . I did take a taste ,, hmm . Into fridge ,,, and forgot about it until last week . Dated January of 2017 . The cheddar got devoured . So good . The rest is mozzarella .
Might try it on a pizza .

Ahh, Mozzarella---My Favorite!! Smoked and not smoked.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky