Taylor Ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Last time I bought it it was $6.00 a chub . I get it . Cheaper to make it yourself .
Funny thing , I made some German bologna one time and I needed some extra grind . Only thing I had was some maple bacon . So I used that . Didn't notice it until I fried some up , but it was Taylor's ham short of the ferment .

Anyway , nice work on this . Really looks great , and can almost taste it .

Reactions: DougE
Anyway , nice work on this . Really looks great , and can almost taste it .
Thanks, again. I was really surprised at how close this recipe comes to the real thing. I'll be playing around with it some more in the future to refine it, but as is, this takes care of my Taylor Ham fix. I couldn't be happier with the results of my first attempt.

Reactions: MJB05615
Nailed it Doug. I love Taylor ham and can get it locally but like you it's expensive. Something I'll save for the future. Nice work bud

Nailed it Doug. I love Taylor ham and can get it locally but like you it's expensive. Something I'll save for the future. Nice work bud
Give it a shot, Jake. In a side by side, I picked up a little more tang and salt in the real one, but the overall flavor profile is right close. Close enough that I'd be happy with it as is, but I will still up the salt and ECA in the next batch.

Wow! I’ve never heard of it, but man that looks tasty! I’d crush that sandwich in a heartbeat! Awesome work!

It’s a north eastern thing (New York area) but Doug here has a solid recipe.
Just to be clear here, it's actually a NEW JERSEY thing!! :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing: Growing up in New York we used to call that stuff either spiced ham or simply "lunch meat" and when my mom would send us to school with sandwiches made from it I would always look to trade for something else. :emoji_laughing:

Just to be clear here, it's actually a NEW JERSEY thing!! :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing: Growing up in New York we used to call that stuff either spiced ham or simply "lunch meat" and when my mom would send us to school with sandwiches made from it I would always look to trade for something else. :emoji_laughing:
Being from NJ, Spiced Ham was from the Cold Cut counter was nothing similar to Pork Roll. Maybe in NY it was different? Spiced Ham was like a square loaf ham. Just my 2 cents. If you have any Pork Roll you'd like to trade , let me know, I would be on board, lol.

1648382951195.jpeg

Looks great and congrats on the ride! For me the naked fried shot is the bomb. I'd scarf all that down with some eggs. I can get the stuff but like $16 for 12oz here. Not sure how close you want to get but I am of the opinion that ECA is not really a sub for the flavor you get by fermenting with a lacto culture. Beats nothing tho. I've had excellent success using active yogurt in place of a culture. Also, cool part about using SV to cook is you could also ferment in it too. Say 95F for 24hrs or so and them bump to cook.

OK, Rich that kills me. I want some so bad for breakfast!

• Haha
Reactions: DougE and chopsaw
I have 8 pounds of pork I ground yesterday or I'd ride over and get some .

I do have maple extract and starter culture .

Last edited:
Reactions: zwiller
Maple smoked bacon maybe?
Check my comment in post 21 about Maple bacon .
The original has both nitrate and nitrite in it . I'm thinking it was maple sugar cure . The Poli formula calls for maple powder ( optional ) .
I see a 1 lb test coming soon . Even have cloth bags .

Good idea and great cratch. Missed that (as usual) :emoji_laughing: BUT did notice it had both nitrite/nitrate... Just how much tang does the stuff have? I am of the opinion the basis of this is swiss cervelat.

I am impressed that you came so close to mirroring the original That was an extraordinary effort and apparently paying close attention to the details. I'd never had the Taylor Pork Roll and several months ago our lost-but-never-forgotten friend Chef Jimmy sent me a couple rolls. That stuff is REALLY good. A tad salty by itself for our tastes but when couple with something else, it was perfect.
Once again, very nice job.

Robert

Looks Great Doug!!
I'm betting that's just as good as the real thing!!
Nice Job!
Like.
BTW: For those who never heard of Taylor Ham, those of us in the area where it's from, call it "Pork Roll" (Taylor or Case).

Bear

Reactions: DougE and MJB05615
I've found Case brand is a little more tangy than Taylor's. But I cannot get the thick sliced Case brand, and I'd rather have the thick than thin sliced. As a kid we could get both thick or thin Case brand tangy.
Beggers can't be choosers right? I'm happy to be able to get it any way I can.

Reactions: Bearcarver

Totally different.
I know the "Spiced Ham Lunch meat" you are referring to.
"Pork Roll" originated in & around "Trenton, New Jersey", and it has it's very own flavor. It's made by two main companies----Taylor &. Case.
I love them both, and have been eating Pork Roll, since I got my first teeth.
I never traded any of my Pork Roll Sammies in school.

Bear

Reactions: MJB05615
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky